[Contest] Map Making Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahucharn

I wear a fez now, fezzes are cool.
Reaction score
Haven't seen one of these yet, so I'ma make one :D.

Please start making a map (any size) that can be played with 2+people.

Map should:
1. Entertain Mahucharn
2. Be age appropriate for all (NO ADULT MATERIAL!!!)
3. Be your own map, do not post your map on epicwar.com or I will DQ you
4. Have some use of triggers and the object editor
5. NOT be another version of a map
7. Be unprotected
8. Any map styles are available

Map can:
1. Be any map style, but I personally like TD's, MW's, RPGS, and
2. Take a long time to make
3. Have more then 1 mapper
4. Can involve me in it if you want me in your team, I won't be bias
5. Be a completely new idea
6. Be an old idea, but completely new map

No Win List:
The Legendary SSBM Frag Project (well its my fault.... but I cannot help map because then my opinion would be bias)

Get these maps to me via e-mail, my e-mail is [email protected]

You will have 1 month to get me in to me. The winner will get +rep and bragging rights, as well as the ability to host/judge future competitions. POST WITH ANY QUESTIONS! I would like to know the teams ASAP. These games can be same ideas such as RPG's TD's and WMW's and others, but battle.net is getting old with ideas, so if you want to make/try something new then I say go for it, I give less harsh judgment to a completely new ideas (as they have no set format that I can look for. This doesn't have to be a complex map with tons of triggers and everything, it just has to entertain me :D .

Judges of the maps:
Mahucharn
To be decided, PM me if you want in (no one submitting a map can be a judge)

Maps take a long time to make, so pick a topic and start mapping! Please post your teams just so that I know that you guys actually want to participate :) . Oh, and Undeadorcjerk, this must be a separate map then the one on Fraggy forums :) .

The map should: Have terrain suitable to the map, like no random rocks in the middle of the rocks. This map should entertain a wide variety of people and be playable many times with an enormous amount of fun. Average game should last about 10-30 minutes (so I can test all of em and judge em). The map can have any amount of triggers/objects, can have as many imports, GUI, and JASS as you want it to be. I kinda got tired of WC3 because no one was hosting new maps, and my old favorites got torn down again. What I want from this is a fun map that can be replayed over and over again without getting old, and a map that people will look up to as an addicting map for all to enjoy. Even the simplest, but most fun map can alone win this competition. Whatever you think is fun, and think others will enjoy, I say go for it, if the map is terrible, but an entirely new style of map, I won't judge you harshly for trying something new ;) and that is how new maps evolve. Map also shouldn't be too complex, it should be simple enough that after a few times of playing it, you should have the basic idea and some sort of understanding on how to play it.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Well this contest isn't very specific.

How big? (32x32? 192x192? bigger?)

What exactly are we going to be judged upon? Terrain, Playability (Can we play it over and over again, without getting too bored?) Length (how long does an average game last), triggers (GUI, JASS, Leak-Free), Imports, etc.

esb

Reaction score
Because it's about the World Editor.

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
3. Be your own map, do not post your map on epicwar.com or I will DQ you

DQ? Dairy Queen?

Haha, no.... i know what it means. As you already know, I'm in this.

BTW people. This isn't TH only. Frag-Forums is also part of this.

Mahucharn

Reaction score
Because it's about the World Editor.

but this forum is for help??? Shouldn't it be in the regular warcraft III section? or even the members project section?

DQ? Dairy Queen?

Haha, no.... i know what it means. As you already know, I'm in this.

BTW people. This isn't TH only. Frag-Forums is also part of this.

may be almost the same text, but this comp is an entirely different one :D

turok255

Reaction score
Whats the rewards if we put all this effort into it? You gotta state somthing even if its no reward ;)

EDIT:

Shhhh. Be vewy, vewy quiet. I'm hunting spammers

Thats funny as hell dude :D

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> Shouldn't it be in the regular warcraft III section? or even the members project section?

There isn't a forum for contests, so they go here.
Don't worry about it. No big deal. :D

Mahucharn

Reaction score
:D jsut worried about it getting knocked down by all the WE peoples asking for help. Winner will get +rep from all judges, bragging rights, and an avatar /signature that undead has agreed to make :) .

DhAoS[ARRC]

Reaction score
also the contest is very bias, one person might not like one map but like the other map because of their style...choose a style not just a bunch of different styles, i didn't read the posts above , but it's just a thought =]

esb

Reaction score
I completely agree with DhAoS, it seems as if this contest is to satisfy Mahucharn's boredom :p

I suggest adding SPECIFIC guidelines, make it point based, get more judges, etc.

Example:
Terraining - 20 points. Do you use proper doodad placements? Do you have a good tileset variation? Do the terrain (Doodads and Tileset included) match?

Triggers - 30 points - Do your triggers work efficiently? Do they have zero memory leaks? Are they optimized (Meaning instead of having a trigger for every player, you can use loops, etc.) Do they cause de-syncs/server splits/lag?

Originality - 20 points - Even if you have a common genre, do you make it unique from others? Do you add more things to make it different, and not just another 'TD' or 'Hero Arena' or 'AoS', etc.

Add more.

turok255

Reaction score
I completely agree with DhAoS, it seems as if this contest is to satisfy Mahucharn's boredom :p

I didn't say it because I didn't want to start some flaming shit on the forums because somone took somthing the wrong way :rolleyes: But theres only one game known to man that EVERYONE loves and can play over and over and over again.

UTHER PARTY!!! :p

EDIT: Maybe a fh of elim trny too thats always fun even if your killing yourself by bouncing a nade off the wall XD

esb

Reaction score
I wasn't flaming, just joking :p

Just needs(the contest) a few fixes and it's good to go.

and I don't really like Uther's Party, because the host usually wins since he has less lag, etc.

No thread hijacking! lol

So yeah... I MIGHT join, depending if the way maps are graded on is changed.

DhAoS[ARRC]

Reaction score
I can't complete a map in like...30 days it'll take me forever cause i haven't made one yet, but yea make guidelines and you should be set :p

Mahucharn

Reaction score
k, ill make em tomarrow, its 12:00 AM here where I live right now... yawn* gnite.

M

Maelstrom_

Theres a chance ill enter with my brother :D I posted more over at frag forums.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Well, you'll have plenty of time after this post...

I've seen plenty of weirdest reasons why people wanted to start contests.
Though,
" 1. Entertain Mahucharn "
easily beats them all.

Let me guess, you're bored, and want to annoy everyone else too?
Brilliant plan.

Anyway, there's currently two official contests already going.
They certainly have top priority over this... "thing".

At the very least, it will have to wait until those are done.
And, even then, chances are slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.