cpu heavy or gpu heavy?

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
I've got a pretty good system memory and cpu - wise (2.8ghz opteron, 4gig ram). My graphics card is a Geforce 7900 GS 512MB, yet a little underclocked to keep the passive cooling at tolerable degrees. I'm running Warcraft at 1280x1024, all graphic settings set to highest. As in my maps I'm using the Injury System by Hero1234, which includes the damage system by emjlr3, also adding a custom bounty, I sometimes get to feel that things tend to run slower with unit amounts around 80-100 on one screen. Strange, since Wc3 is a pretty old game in relation to my hardware, and used to run smoother - with less demanding maps obviously - on hardware setups far less powerful (like an athlon1400 with a Geforce 4mx).
So my question was: is it the cpu that drags, because Wc3 isn't multi-core optimized and has a hard time with the sheer amount of units, or is it rather the gpu which poses the weakest link, as I'm running too many effects, and the density and amount of doodads is pretty high. For my part, I came to the conclusion that it's the gpu. Setting graphics down and switching off additional effects does quite a lot; same thing for shifting the screen out of the area of action.
Similar experiences?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.