Crashs when WE Saves.

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
Last night I saved my map and bamn WE crashed. All the edited stuff for my map was in a folder it created called TEMPXXXXX(X's are random numbers) so I managed to reimport them and save all the work I had done. But now WE crashes everytime I save so I have to reimport stuff heaps now. Which is a pain.

Why does WE keep on crashing and why is it nice enough to save my data?

I'm using standard 1.18 WE on a mac. In a unrelated issue it also crashes if I switch applications while it's loading. Is there a solution to that.

Rad

Reaction score
Dunno but that would make a good map protector (if it didnt save your data)

Jazradel

Reaction score
Lol it would.

Ahhh now Wc3 crashes when I try to test my map. I think I must have a screwed up trigger somewhere.

Edit: I may have something. Does using (Entering Unit) when your Event is Comes in Range cause it too crash?

Rad

Reaction score
Oo what program did u protect it with :rolleyes:

Check all the interface on your stuff, i had WE crash because I had an icon out of the palette, a unit in shroud (That I didnt even know how it got there...), because a trigger wasnt finished (Had a red value) but didnt disable it and i could save... None crashed world editor though...

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
Jaz, if it helps.
That happens to me too..
im not sure if its the triggers or anything..
about the crashes when u switch application during loading of WE.
thats normal.. just a bug in WE for mac...
but the save problem.. im not sure...

Jazradel

Reaction score
Ahh Kraka I was afraid of that.
Here are all the triggers I added just before the crash.
The only other thing I did to my map was create 4 items.
Code:
Merchant Init
    Events
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Gains a level
    Conditions
        (Hero level of Hero) Equal to 3
    Actions
        Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of Villager (Male) 0115 <gen> using Abilities\Spells\Other\TalkToMe\TalkToMe.mdl
        Set SpecEffectForDelete = (Last created special effect)
        Trigger - Turn on Merchant <gen>
        Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
Code:
Merchant
    Events
        Unit - Villager (Male) 0115 <gen> Is selected
    Conditions
    Actions
        Cinematic - Turn cinematic mode On for (All Players)
        Special Effect - Destroy SpecEffectForDelete
        Cinematic - Send transmission to (All Players) from Villager (Male) 0115 <gen> named Merchant Arturas: Play No sound and display (((Ahhh..... + (Proper name of Hero)) + isn't it?) + I am Merchant Arturas. Recently packs of bandits have been attacking my caravans heading to the City of Clarv. I have been ordered to deliver an extremely valuable package and I wish to engage your services.  Modify duration: Add 0.00 seconds and Wait
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in merchant <gen>) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Move To ((Center of (Playable map area)) offset by (-6500.00, 900.00))
        Cinematic - Turn cinematic mode Off for (All Players)
        Trigger - Turn on Bandit Attack <gen>
Code:
Bandit Attack
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters bandit point <gen>
    Conditions
        (Entering unit) Equal to Villager (Male) 0115 <gen>
    Actions
        Game - Display to (All players) the text: Its quite..
        Game - Display to (All players) the text: too quite...
        Game - Display to (All players) the text: Look! Bandits! Defe...
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in bandits <gen> matching ((Owner of (Matching unit)) Equal to Player 5 (Yellow))) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Attack-Move To ((Center of (Playable map area)) offset by (-6500.00, 900.00))
        Wait 1.00 game-time seconds
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in bandits2 <gen> matching ((Owner of (Matching unit)) Equal to Player 5 (Yellow))) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Attack-Move To ((Center of (Playable map area)) offset by (-6500.00, 900.00))
        Unit - Order Rogue 0269 <gen> to Move To (Position of Assassin 0174 <gen>)
        Wait until ((Assassin 0273 <gen> is dead) Equal to True), checking every 0.50 seconds
        Cinematic - Send transmission to (All Players) from Captain 0172 <gen> named Captain of the Merc...: Play No sound and display Sir, the bandit att....  Modify duration: Set to 4.00 seconds and Wait
        Cinematic - Send transmission to (All Players) (Red) from Hero named (Proper name of Hero): Play No sound and display I saw a bandit runn....  Modify duration: Add 0.00 seconds and Wait
        Cinematic - Send transmission to (All Players) (Red) from Villager (Male) 0115 <gen> named Merchant Arturas: Play No sound and display Yes, of course. I t....  Modify duration: Add 0.00 seconds and Wait
        Unit - Change ownership of Captain 0172 <gen> to Player 1 (Red) and Change color
        Unit - Change ownership of Swordsman 0113 <gen> to Player 1 (Red) and Change color
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 1000.00 of (Position of Villager (Male) 0115 <gen>) matching ((Owner of (Matching unit)) Equal to Player 2 (Blue))) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Move To (Position of Fountain of Power 0203 <gen>)
Code:
Reward
    Events
        Unit - A unit comes within 512.00 of Villager (Male) 0115 <gen>
    Conditions
        ((Triggering unit) has an item of type Cask of Items) Equal to True
    Actions
        Item - Remove (Item carried by (Triggering unit) of type Cask of Items)
        Cinematic - Send transmission to (All Players) from Villager (Male) 0115 <gen> named Merchant Arturas: Play No sound and display ((Proper name of Hero) + You found it! How can I ever repay you? I know, you can take a pick of an item from this barrel.).  Modify duration: Add 0.00 seconds and Wait
        Unit - Change ownership of Captain 0172 <gen> to Player 2 (Blue) and Change color
        Unit - Change ownership of Swordsman 0113 <gen> to Player 2 (Blue) and Change color
        Unit - Hide Villager (Male) 0115 <gen>
        Unit - Add Sell Items to Villager (Male) 0115 <gen>
        Unit - Add Select Hero to Villager (Male) 0115 <gen>
        Neutral Building - Add Rod of Arcania to Villager (Male) 0115 <gen> with 1 in stock and a max stock of 1
        Neutral Building - Add Sobi Ring to Villager (Male) 0115 <gen> with 1 in stock and a max stock of 1
        Neutral Building - Add Warsong Axe to Villager (Male) 0115 <gen> with 1 in stock and a max stock of 1
        Wait until (((Hero has an item of type Rod of Arcania) Equal to True) or (((Hero has an item of type Sobi Ring) Equal to True) or ((Hero has an item of type Warsong Axe) Equal to True))), checking every 0.10 seconds
        Neutral Building - Remove Rod of Arcania from Villager (Male) 0115 <gen>
        Neutral Building - Remove Sobi Ring from Villager (Male) 0115 <gen>
        Neutral Building - Remove Warsong Axe from Villager (Male) 0115 <gen>
Code:
Reward 2
    Events
        Unit - A unit comes within 512.00 of Villager (Male) 0115 <gen>
    Conditions
        ((Triggering unit) has an item of type Cask of Items) Equal to True
    Actions
        Item - Remove (Item carried by (Triggering unit) of type Cask of Items)
        Cinematic - Send transmission to (All Players) from Villager (Male) 0115 <gen> named Merchant Arturas: Play No sound and display ((Proper name of Hero) + You found it! How can I ever repay you? I know you can take a pick of an item from this barrel.).  Modify duration: Add 0.00 seconds and Wait
        Unit - Change ownership of Captain 0172 <gen> to Player 2 (Blue) and Change color
        Unit - Change ownership of Swordsman 0113 <gen> to Player 2 (Blue) and Change color
Okay thats it.

Rad

Reaction score
Ok im definatly not gonna read all of that... but i did notice:
Code:
Cinematic - Turn cinematic mode On for (All players)
        Cinematic - Send transmission to Player Group - Player 1 (Red) from Villager (Male) 0115 <gen> named Merchant Arturas: Play No sound and display (((Ahhh..... + (Proper name of Hero)) + isn't it?) + I am Merchant Arturas. Recently packs of bandits have been attacking my caravans heading to the City of Clarv. I have been ordered to deliver an extremely valuable package and I wish to engage your services.  Modify duration: Add 0.00 seconds and Wait
You turn of for all players, for me this only works for me, if it miraculously does for other players it doesnt turn off... but the transmission is to player 1...

Switch33

Reaction score
What caused it!

:banghead: I know what happened.. when you edited your map and it created all those temp files your not supposed to import them.. so therefore your map data is loaded like 2 times or so.. and it gets funky with the WE reading that..

:D Whenever you get an error in your map and it creates a file.. just delete the file, reopen your map, and then fix the problem

Also, the map itself still contains all the data you edited before you saved and WE crashed, but you thought wrong and imported the data back causing your map to be unable to be played or opened.;

:nuts: As to fixing your map, i hope you have a back up! lol!

Jazradel

Reaction score
I didn't really import them I actually overrode the original files using my mpq editor(maps really are just mpqs with a different extension). Even if I did import them the editor only reads the first file it finds so it shouldn't make a difference.

Switch33

Reaction score
well, you still fooled the editor making it somehow get that error whenever it tries to be opened.. so what i'm basically saying is the damage is done, your map is gone if you don't have a backup..

Jazradel

Reaction score
No I still have my map and I can continue working on it. It only crashes when I save and even then I can reimported the edited files easily enough. Its just a pain to have to do it everytime.

Switch33

Reaction score
oh, so i guess its not too bad, but you do relieze that you could have not have to gone through all that trouble if you didn't replace those files.

Rad

Reaction score
Jazradel said:
No I still have my map and I can continue working on it. It only crashes when I save and even then I can reimported the edited files easily enough. Its just a pain to have to do it everytime.

Import 1 type of file at a time and find which is causing it, then save your map with all but that 1 then you wouldnt have to reimport... unless im thinking about how your saving wrong

Jazradel

Reaction score
Yeh I'll find my version that isn't crash on save and reimport then test the new files. Good idea.

Jazradel

Reaction score
Okay I've got desperate enough to post the latest version up and a old one without the crash bug. I'm begining to think I should just start again from my old map....

Holy Shit I just noticed the latest versions is 8.7mb for some reason whereas the old one is only 252kb. Thats really wierd.

Old Version

and

New Version

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
yep.. thats a big difference..
maybe its becuz u keep stacking the imports..

Jazradel

Reaction score
They should override each other shouldn't they?
Anyway I did it once or twice not enough to cause the size. Ohh but then it doesn't stack linearly it stacks in squares....

H

Heptameron

Custom script code sometimes causes crash-on-saves. Do you have any?

(And, yeah, always ignore the temp files. They're created during saving; if the saving crashed they may be corrupted.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.