Creating Base Order IDs and using Charge Gold and Lumber

retupmoc258

Reaction score
So, two basic problems.

1. Is there a way to create a new Base Order ID? I'm not expecting to run out, I hope, but I'm just wondering of the possibility. Also, on a similar note, if I have two abilities based on the same one (but in different spellbooks) will they both react at the same time, regardless of that fact? Even though nothing can trigger something inside of a spellbook.

Another thing I wondered is if both abilities actually get cast, or whether one ability gets cast, but the other one reacts as if it were the selected spell. That has never made sense to me. Rather than suffer from my mistakes soon (when I start re-ording Base IDs) I'd like to know in advance to know if I can overlap at all, not at all, or if I can make all abilities of a certain kind have the same cooldown (I'm guessing if I have them all in the spellbook, that's easy enough).

2. Whenever I use the Charge Gold and Lumber ability, it never activates the triggers I have set up for it (the events and/or the conditions don't trigger) and I can't figure out why.

Buy Potion
Events
Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability​
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to (==) Buy Potion​
Actions
Game - Display to (All players) the text: You bought a Potion​

I have tried Starts the effect, starts casting, finishes casting, and none of them work. I have even tried modifying the stats of the ability giving it cooldown time or casting time, none of which do anything.

In case you're going to ask the most obvious question: "Why don't you just have the unit buy the potion" that's basically the back-up solution. It would require triggers and you can't see how much it's worth, because in my game I'm trying to have the cost be changeable--something you don't get on an ordinary map. Is there any way to get the ability to be triggered?

retupmoc258

Reaction score
So then what about the other problem? How do I get Charge Gold and Lumber to activate in a trigger? Has anyone ever succeeded in that? What did they do, or what might be my error?

jwallstone

Reaction score
I've gotten Charge Gold and Lumber to work just fine with triggers. Double check some things:

1. Your event is "A unit Starts the effect of an ability", but that looks like a Specific Unit event, for which you'd have to specifically add the unit you're testing with. Try a Generic Unit event.

2. Double check that no other triggers are stopping the unit from casting. If you must, you can turn off all other triggers and check if this works.

retupmoc258

Reaction score
All I've been using is the generic.

"Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability" I've also used Unit - a unit starts the effect of an ability, and finishes the effect of an ability, and channels an ability, and none of them have worked. And when you click on it it says "Unit - Generic unit event" It can't get more generic than that. I've even tried the ability with a moving unit--hero--and with a building. No success. I can run the trigger without a condition, too, and that still doesn't activate the trigger when I click on it.

Alright, so with the event "Unit - a unit Begins casting an ability" it will detect the Charge Gold and Lumber abilities when there is no condition. However, when I test what ability is being cast, the only event response condition I can find for abilities, it won't work.

Okay, new update. I eliminated the condition, again, and it triggers when I click on either one (I have two of them currently) and when I click either one, it says only the Buy Hi-Potion triggered. I can now get the condition to work for that trigger, which it didn't before (I can't figure out why that is), and it activates the second trigger without a condition, too, which makes sense. I also tried changing the Base Order IDs (it gives the option, which I was surprised with because people always said it wouldn't) and when I run the test, it only activates the Hi-Potion trigger (and the return from the trigger is that the ability being cast is Buy Hi-Potion) for both abilities.

jwallstone

Reaction score
All that's a bit confusing. Let me get this straight:

1. Begins Casting event works, but no other events work? Then the spell isn't being cast successfully. Are you sure you have enough gold/lumber?

2. Only one of the abilities run the trigger successfully? Why don't you just post the triggers so we can take a look.

retupmoc258

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry. Begin Casting event does not work. Begins effect works, like you suggested. Yes, 10000 and needing 50, works fine. The effect takes place every time. The triggers just weren't always activating when they had a condition. I found the issue, I think.

So I can get the two triggers to activate for themselves individually, if the abilities are on different units. It's the same problem most people talk about with Base Order ID (I had two of them on the same unit trying to do either one would always cast one of them and not the other, and so that's why my tests were always unsuccessful--a little more complicated than that, but simple is best). But, my new problem is that I've tried changing the Base order IDto two totally separate ones, even custom-made ones, and having two abilities based on Charge Gold and Lumber on the same unit still causes only the latter of the two to fire. So, I guess I could just keep it on different units, or . . . something. I thought of a way around what my problem is, so I might just use it.

There's no chance to put an icon into a tooltip, is there? Just curious. I know tooltips can put ability info into it with the <A000,DataA1> and all that, but is there a way to get other things in there?

jwallstone

Reaction score
Okay, glad you've got it figured out. I'm surprised that even with different Base Order Id's you're still getting problems. I'll try it out too and see what's happening.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to put an icon there. The mana, gold, and lumber icons will appear next to the name automatically when you hover over the ability, and you can change that via Game Interface, but that's a universal thing.

retupmoc258

Reaction score
Did you find anything? I haven't put much more effort into it. I have a work-around that I can use that would work well enough. I wish I could get a tool-tip to use a variable, or table in its text. I haven't tried much, just <udg_Stat_Main[10]> That didn't work. I don't know. It might need to be converted to a text, or something. I'll see. It's possible I could use an ability simply to store info like that and have the tool-tip reference it. That should work. I hope.

Oh, do you have any idea how I can get EGUI working? I've tried everything from removing all the programs and re-installing it, to just trying a brand new, fresh map, and nothing has taken way the problem. I don't know what's doing it either. Sevion's instructions, including on his thread, in his trigger set, and with an installer that's not mentioned in the threat, create a duality that I do not understand, nor do I know what it does, or would do. Because I used the installer, do I even need the folder of triggers, or not? Nothing is really explained. And Sevion's instructions in each section actually contradict each-other. Have you gotten this to work?

retupmoc258

Reaction score
I found out what the problem was with those two different abilities, now. It's very simple, and very agrivating. You taught me how I could type in my own custom Base Order IDs. I thought that would work. I've tried having the same abilities in the same area with different, Custom Base Order IDs and they either don't show up (inside a spellbook) or they activate only one of the same abilities when you click on any one of them. You NEED to use internal Base Order IDs and they have to be separate. AND if you have a levelling ability that changes Base Order ID by level (like Channel or the Charge Gold and Lumber) then ALL of them need to be different from any other ability on the same unit (so just make them all the same for one ability). I tried using the internal ones as different for Level one, and their abilities were only level 1 at the time I used them, and it still created the Base Order ID type of errors because the rest of their levels were either the same internal Base Order ID, OR they were custom Order IDs and it caused the same problem. I changed all of them to internal Order IDs and Auto-filled, tried it in the map, and it worked. Hooray!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.