Custom MiniMap Tutorial (for noobs only)

shadowmapper

Reaction score
After scouring the forums for an hour or so trying to figure out what was happening with my minimap (was getting fatal error for having a 128x128 image instead of 256x256 as the war3mapMap.tga), I decided to post this tutorial even though I'll probably get flamed like a spirit walker in ethereal form because all of this information was so scattered.

CUSTOM MINIMAP TUTORIAL

Note: For this tutorial you will need an application to save image files to the .tga format used by Warcraft III for textures. I am using a Ulead application, however you can convert files from .bmp, jpg or other common image files to .tga using BLP lab:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/blp-lab-v0-4-0-a-137599/

The Minimap image MUST be exactly 256x256 pixels and 192 KB in size. The file name on disk is not important, but the image must be in the TGA format [.tga]

(If your attributes are correct but your file size is off, the image has not been saved correctly. Make sure all layers of your image are merged before saving. If you are still having problems, try downloading BLP lab and optimizing/saving the image with that application.)

If you wish to have a Preview image that is different from the Mimimap image, this file should be 128x128 pixels and 48 KB in size. Again, it must be in the .tga format.

I.e.
CUSTOM_MINIMAP.TGA (256x256, 192 KB)
CUSTOM_PREVIEW.TGA (128x128, 48 KB)

Once you have your properly formatted .TGA image file, move it into the Warcraft III directory.

I.e.
C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\CUSTOM_MINIMAP.TGA
C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\CUSTOM_PREVIEW.TGA

Open the World Editor.

From the menu bar select Advanced, then Game Interface [Alt, A, F]. In the top left cornor check off the check-box to select 'Use Custom Game Interface' (This option is not strictly necessary).

Now open the Import Manager from the Module menu (Alt, M, I). From the menu bar, select File, Import File (Ctrl+I). Import the .TGA files you will use for your Minimap and Preview.

They should now be displayed in the Import Manager like such:

File Name..................Type.............Size (KB).........Full Path

CUSTOM_MINIMAP.TGA.........Image/Texture....192...............war3mapImported\CUSTOM_MINIMAP.TGA
CUSTOM_PREVIEW.TGA.........Image/Texture....48................war3mapImported\CUSTOM_PREVIEW.TGA

Double click the larger image you will be using as your custom minimap. This will open the Imported File Properties dialogue. Check off the Check-Box for 'Use custom path'. Now change the text in the Text-box from 'war3mapImported\CUSTOM_MINIMAP.TGA' to 'war3mapMap.tga'. Click OK.

To change the Preview image, open the Imported File Properties menu exactly as you did in the last step only select the smaller image you will use for your Map Preview/ Game Lobby. Select 'Use custom path' again, but this time change the path to 'war3mapPreview.tga'. Click OK.

The Import manager should now read:

File Name..................Type.............Size (KB).........Full Path

war3mapMap.tga.............Image/Texture....192...............war3mapMap.tga
war3mapPreview.tga.........Image/Texture....48................war3mapPreview.tga

You should be able to test your map immediately (without exiting and restarting the World Editor) to see the changes have been effected to your map. Sorry to everyone who was born knowing how to import and replace textures... :p

Other notes:

I not sure if changing the game mini-map can be reverted, please comment if you know. If I delete war3mapMap.tga from the Imports mananger I get an error message on compile 'cannot read [same]', but the map continues to compile and will use the actual terrain map as the mini-map. I'm not sure if this is because the original war3mapMap.blp is still intact, or because it is being updated or a new war3mapMap.blp is generated by the editor when the custom one is removed. Again, please comment if your in the know.

"Warcraft III will only read 32 bit TGAs and their compressed BLP partners. In PSP8, you must save as a 24bit with Alpha/Transparency channels."
-Willow, incgamers SM

"If you set both a War3MapPreview and War3MapMap, the War3MapPreview image will override the War3MapMap image as the preview image only. The ingame minimap will still be the War3MapMap image."
-Sabertooth X, wc3.net

Related Links

Custom Loading Screen
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/loadscreen.php

Importing Models
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/models.php

Importing Tutorials...
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_importing.php

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.