Tutorial Damage Shown and Modifications

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Very nicely written tutorial

+reputation

The only thing that seemed to bother me was your English..I don't mean to be rude or flame you..but I think it could use some work..either that or you typed too fast without revising your tutorial...by this I mean some spelling errors..or sentences that did not make sense logically...although I personally knew what you meant

anyways

very nice

10/10

-Hero

Tzirrit

Reaction score
I have tweaked the trigger that shows the normal damage a bit and it just works great.. almost. Because when i use abilities that do delayed damage, or damage over time it doenst show the damage.

I have figured out that when i use an ability based on channel and don't do the damage right away, it only shows a 0 and then that was it. Is there a way to get/show the other damage that is being done over time, or damage done as negative life regeneration just with GUI (no JASS)? Other than hardcoding it into a trigger to show additional floating text numbers?

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
Very nicely written tutorial

+reputation

The only thing that seemed to bother me was your English..I don't mean to be rude or flame you..but I think it could use some work..either that or you typed too fast without revising your tutorial...by this I mean some spelling errors..or sentences that did not make sense logically...although I personally knew what you meant

anyways

very nice

10/10

-Hero

I have tweaked the trigger that shows the normal damage a bit and it just works great.. almost. Because when i use abilities that do delayed damage, or damage over time it doenst show the damage.

I have figured out that when i use an ability based on channel and don't do the damage right away, it only shows a 0 and then that was it. Is there a way to get/show the other damage that is being done over time, or damage done as negative life regeneration just with GUI (no JASS)? Other than hardcoding it into a trigger to show additional floating text numbers?

I'm not going to update it since I reached the half-year limit.

J

Jaggy

I have a question. Is there a way to make the trigger work only on regular attacks and ignore damage done via abilities/spells. That happens because the event responds to any damage, and I suppose there has to be a way to handle this via a condition of damage type being not "spells" or something?

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
I have a question. Is there a way to make the trigger work only on regular attacks and ignore damage done via abilities/spells. That happens because the event responds to any damage, and I suppose there has to be a way to handle this via a condition of damage type being not "spells" or something?

You can't detect (normally) the damagetype.

You can only for armors.

Or simply do a Mana Check using Custom Unit's Value :
-When a unit is attacked, you set it's Custom Unit Value to Integer(Current mana of (Attacking unit))
-When the trigger for damage fires, you must have a condition checking if the (Current mana of (Damage source)) is Lesser than or Equal to (Custom Value of (Damage source))

But, it disables ability for Combo Damage System.

J

Jaggy

Thanks.
I actually use the custom value of a unit to store amount of combo points applied to it, but I guess there is a workaround. I will try to temporarily disable the combo trigger every time the hero starts the effect of an ability and re-enable it half a second later. Good thing that hero doesn't have any delayed damage abilities.

D

DemonOfNight

very nice tutorial, didnt read it all the way but i readed the things the most important on making those kind of floating texts. Lets say 9/10 , i dont give 10 cause the long post make it a lil confusing, sorry.

+rep

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
very nice tutorial, didnt read it all the way but i readed the things the most important on making those kind of floating texts. Lets say 9/10 , i dont give 10 cause the long post make it a lil confusing, sorry.

+rep

Long Post? Ignores all the rest and copy the first trigger you see (while cleaning the leak) if you need the Damage to be shown. All the rest is Leak explanation and Modifications given to the Damage.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Very Nice, and complete too. Thumbs Up! Two Hours to write, two hours to read :)

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
Very Nice, and complete too. Thumbs Up! Two Hours to write, two hours to read :)

Just to say, I don't agree this tutorial (and I'm sure for some advanced knowledge people), because there are many errors I can't fix now. (Integer A with locals and waits, isn't that good :p)

If I get time, I may update the Particle System Tutorial, and there's a Physic System that has been released some days ago in [noparse]wc3campaigns.net[/noparse].

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I felt like saying something nice today =) Plus, it's not nice to say what people don't have in a tutorial, but what they do have.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about damage detection is all of those bloody event leaks.

w/e

nice tut

W

WoodenGuitar

What if there are too many events added in Show Damage trigger and will not happen anymore? Will it slows down the game?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not going to update it since I reached the half-year limit.

If you ever want to edit it Chocobo, moderators can edit the tutorial just PM me with your "new" tutorial.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
I have a Question. Can you actually restrict the Show Damage just on Spell Damage? Because i was trying to make one with no working results...

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
I have a Question. Can you actually restrict the Show Damage just on Spell Damage? Because i was trying to make one with no working results...

If you want to perform that on spell damage, you need to make all units have a detection for physical attacks : an orb effect (orb of slow) with 100% chance to fire to do a dummy buff on the target of attack (so if the unit has the buff = it has been attacked physically ; if not = it has been attacked with spell).
cons : Disables orb effect (they have to be triggered then).

Is it possible when you change the percentage of the Critical strike to 100.00 or 500.00 and show the extra damage taken to 0.00. It will show your equal damage?

Try to do this instead of the regular critical strike :

Code:
Show Damages
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set loc = (Position of (Triggering unit))
[COLOR="Red"]        ----- Directly shows the damage and skip remaining floating texts / not compatible with other modifications / post there if you need to make it multi-compatible -----[/COLOR]
        Floating Text - Create floating text that reads ((String((Integer((Damage taken))))) + !) at loc with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
        Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
        Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 15.00 towards 90.00 degrees
        Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 3.00 seconds
        Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 1.00 seconds
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                ((Damage source) has buff Evasion ) Equal to True
            Then - Actions
                Set RandomInt = (Random real number between 2.00 and 4.00)
                -------- Damage Multiplier --------
                Set CriticalMultiplier = RandomInt
                -------- Random Percentage --------
                Set RandomReal = (Random real number between 0.00 and 100.00)
                -------- Critical Percentage --------
                Set CriticalPercentage = [COLOR="Red"]<percentage>[/COLOR]
            Else - Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                RandomReal Less than CriticalPercentage
            Then - Actions
                -------- DamageDealt is a real which handles the whole damage dealt --------
                Set DamageDealt = ((Damage taken) x CriticalMultiplier)
                -------- Anti-Infinite Loop --------
                Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
                Unit - Cause (Damage source) to damage (Triggering unit), dealing (DamageDealt - (Damage taken)) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Universal
                Trigger - Turn on (This trigger)
                [COLOR="Red"]----- Nothing after this -----[/COLOR]
            Else - Actions

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
Does it increase lag if you do this trigger?

Because if there's a high spawn rate, wouldn't it add the event "entering unit takes damage" tens of thousands of times? =\

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.