Deactivate Ability

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I want to be able to turn off an ability for let's say 10 seconds. The cooldown will be one second. This is because my spell may last longer or shorter each time it is used and I don't want multiple uses at the same time. Any ideas?

Thought of maybe having a dummy unit cast silence, but I've seen this done before (like how chain lightning won't allow you to cast until the first one finishes)
Or Divine Shield lasts 45 seconds, no questions and you can't click the spell icon until is over.

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
BUMP: Anyone got anything? I added some to the description of my problem. Thanks in advance.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Well if that ability is the only one then you can go ahead and cast silence, but it will block most of the other active abilities as well ^^. As for divine shield you can change in the gameplay constants if it can be deactivated or not (along with numerous other things). Chain lightning i believe is coded like that.

You can always remove your ability and add a dummy ability that's passive with the disabled icon and same tooltip, then after 10 seconds revert the process. Shouldn't be visible to people ^^ you can even add the mana cost to make it look neat, while it would still be passive and uncastable x)

Also i assume if you have a certain effect or buff, you don't have to wait for the 10 seconds, just do a check if the spell stopped working and put the normal spell back in ^^

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! These are all good suggestions. I ended up having a dummy unit cast a spell on my hero to add a buff which works well as I can check easily in my timer loop.

I am using banish which adds art to my hero. I've got it all working properly but I don't want the art - so question is:

What is the best spell for a dummy ability adding a buff?

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
Bump. Still looking for some help on this.

Well, I would really use a timer instead of placing of buffs. Buffs can't stack so it isn't really worth wasting it on this. Well, I can think of Inner Fire with null values as a targeted buff placer.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
make a dummy unit for the tech tree requirement.

When the spell is used, change that dummy to antoher dummy2 with an epiration timer (dummy2 has the hydra's respawn ability set to make 1 of the dummy that fulfills the tech requirement)

So basically
Dummy is used to fulfill tech requirement for the skill
Skill is used
Dummy changes turn into Dummy 2
An expiration timer is added to dummy 2
Dummy 2 "Expires"
Dummy respawns

Skill can now be used again

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hmm okay best way to explain this:

My timer checks to see if a unit has a buff. If the unit does, it destroys itself and that instance of the trigger.

The second buff is placed when the spell is cast, as an indicator that that unit already has an instance of the trigger running.

So, all I want want is an ability/buff combo that adds no art to my unit.

jomik

Reaction score
You want to just remove an ability while you're doing it? Try this:
Trigger:
  • Player - Disable (Ability being cast) for (Owner of (Triggering unit))
- modify it to your needs? :d

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I do not need help with the trigger. Everything works. All I want is a buff that doesn't have built in effects. (Like Banish)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.