Defend Ability - Need some explanation

Baltazhar

Reaction score
Hey guys

I've been trying to make this ability based on the human footman's Defend ability, but I can not seem to guess which Data values do what.

What it should do:
Hero ability, 3 levels. Should decrease movement speed by 30/25/20% and make the hero take 25/50/75% damage when enabled.

The "facts" (according to my understanding):
The Data fields are the following with [default value]:
Attack Speed Factor [0.00] - The percentage of which the attack speed gets reduced.
Chance to deflect [30.00] - The chance of deflecting a piercing attack onto the attacker.
Damage Dealt (%) [1.00] - The percentage of the units damage it deals while Defending.
Damage Taken (%) [0.50] - The amount of damage the unit takes from non-deflected attacks.
Deflect Damage Taken (Piercing) [0.00] - The percentage of damage getting ignored when a piercing attack is deflected.
Deflect Damage Taken (Spells) [1.00] - The percentage of damage getting ignored when a spell is deflected.
Magic Damage Reduction [1.00] - The percentage of magic damage reduction when deflected.
Movement Speed Factor [0.30] - The percentage of which the movement speed is decreased while Defending.

My attempts:
To test which was maximum and minimum values, I've tried, as my first goal, to get the unit immune to damage because it's hard to tell if it loses 50% or 100% hp from damage taken. I've tried giving minimum and maximum values for everything, to see how they would react with eachother. Nothing.

My question:
Help! That's not really a question, I know, but it would be nice :)
I've tried searching on the matter with no luck, and I haven't had this problem with any other ability I've made, and that's quite a lot. My conclusion is that my understanding of the field values is not correct. Can anyone enlighten me?

emilemil1

Reaction score
Hey guys

I've been trying to make this ability based on the human footman's Defend ability, but I can not seem to guess which Data values do what.

What it should do:
Hero ability, 3 levels. Should decrease movement speed by 30/25/20% and make the hero take 25/50/75% damage when enabled.

The "facts" (according to my understanding):
The Data fields are the following with [default value]:
Attack Speed Factor [0.00] - The percentage of which the attack speed gets reduced.
Chance to deflect [30.00] - The chance of deflecting a piercing attack onto the attacker.
Damage Dealt (%) [1.00] - The percentage of the units damage it deals while Defending.
Damage Taken (%) [0.50] - The amount of damage the unit takes from non-deflected attacks.
Deflect Damage Taken (Piercing) [0.00] - The percentage of damage getting ignored when a piercing attack is deflected.
Deflect Damage Taken (Spells) [1.00] - The percentage of damage getting ignored when a spell is deflected.
Magic Damage Reduction [1.00] - The percentage of magic damage reduction when deflected.
Movement Speed Factor [0.30] - The percentage of which the movement speed is decreased while Defending.

My attempts:
To test which was maximum and minimum values, I've tried, as my first goal, to get the unit immune to damage because it's hard to tell if it loses 50% or 100% hp from damage taken. I've tried giving minimum and maximum values for everything, to see how they would react with eachother. Nothing.

My question:
Help! That's not really a question, I know, but it would be nice :)
I've tried searching on the matter with no luck, and I haven't had this problem with any other ability I've made, and that's quite a lot. My conclusion is that my understanding of the field values is not correct. Can anyone enlighten me?

i cant see anything wrong? try having everything at default and then increase/decrease one field at a time

to get what you want you should set the chance of reflecting to 0% and the damage taken to whatever you want, then it would ignore the other fields (i guess)

Baltazhar

Reaction score

This is how I set up my ability.
I've tried to make a difference on all 3 levels, so level 1 has 0% deflect chance, and 0% damage taken.
Level 2 has 100% chance of deflect, 0% damage taken, and level 3 has 0% chance of deflection and 100% damage taken.
This is only one of those "I have tried the obvious, which failed to work, so now I'm going for the idiotic approach", but I really haven't got a clue what to do.

Hmm, what other info could help the case to be solved... Uh-oh... Think I just realised something. The creeps doing the damage, is normal melee units, and Defend only works on ranged units, right?
Taken the recent epiphany into consideration, I don't expect there are any Data values to make melee count as well? - I guess I'll do it with triggers which add some kinda spellbook ability to reduce damage.

BarzahdX

Reaction score
It is a strange ability.. However, with the conclusion you're correct.. The field is stated as "Piercing" so I'd imagine the piercing attack type, not just ranegd.. Thus, you can set your melee character sot have piercing damage. Something to try out, tell me how it goes.

Crusher

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
You want to decrease bonus speed and take less damage?Use berserk,isn't that obvious ^^

Baltazhar

Reaction score
Hmm berserk, didn't even strike me. Wanted defend to make sure that Defend Animation was displayed properly.

However, I have mad a trigger giving the unit a spellbook ability of Hardened Skin, to reduce damage, and let the Defend ability itself take care of movement speed. Percentage of damage, or just damage, is fine either way. The meaning was to make a tank-ability, which I believe was a success.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Everyone get's a +rep :)

- Baltazhar

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.