Demi666, PM reply, Mailbox full - Randomization issues

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Demi666 said:
i could really need help with 1 thing im making an escape with mini games (11 so far) but the mini games doesent seem 2 get random :banghead: i use From IntegerA 1-11Condtions are true etc etc etc but it doesentt work can u plzz say what im doin wrong :p?

Your mailbox was full so I couldnt PM, but here is your answer/explaination.
Edited out the other extra stuff... hope you dont mind I put it here.

Now the random issue. Well its due to Random Seeding. WC3 actually starts with the same number each time it loads for randomization. Which means if you always do something in the same order/timing it will always give the same number OVER and OVER... very annoying.

BUT, there is hope. Players are random enough that you can use what they do to seed the code. Seeding is basically giving the random number generator a number thats player or timing made.

Player names are perfect for seeding usually, also time is a great seeding item, but WC3 doesnt let you grab the Actual Time, but you can improvise. Or number of players. Lots of things will change it. Also, you could enlarge the region you randomize, meaning you can make the Random number something like 1 to TimeElapsedInGameX100 then divide by 11 and get the remainder then that number will be the random number. This works because there is more variation in TimeElapsedInGameX100. Especially if players have to click on things to activate games, once again, players will be your best hope for randomness.

Hope that helps with the ideas. Hint, you need to start a Timer from the beginning of the game, then check for seconds on timer passed to see how long the game has been going, make sure you have the player interact with something before your first randomization so they help you out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.