Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Before continuing Poetry Contest #10, Ninva and I have been wondering if the Writer Corner community would like a different kind of contest. At the moment we have nailed it down to three options: Short story contest, poetry contest, or sonnet contest.

With Ninva wanting the Community to decide, we're going with democracy and using our wonderful Polling System!
The voting will end on Friday 15, 2009 11:40 EST (-5 GMT). So make your decisions now! :thup:

The Ninva FAQs
Q: Why should we have a short story contest?
A: Due to the lack of interest in writing poetry, I suppose having a short story contest will do the community some good. Yet in past events, the contests failed. I've won the one and only successful short story contest, so I am rather reluctant to try out another short story contest.

Q: Why should we continue with poetry contests?
A: It's almost traditional. We've had nine contests already. I feel that changing now would turn off some faithful WC users. Yet I'd like to go into a different direction than Seth went.

Q: What is a Sonnet?
A: Read this wikipedia article. I like Shakespearean sonnets, so I recommend it. If you enjoy a different genre of literature, please tell me.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Why not, eh, have them all? At different times maybe. This website I go to, they have different sections and they have many contests. Like for example:
-Poetry - Poem of the Week (PotW)
-Short Story - Short Story of the Week (SSotW)
-Sonnet - Sonnet of the Week (SotW)
-Novel - Novel of the... Month (NotM)

I like short stories... they are easy to write.
I'm learning poetry right now in school but I am horrible with poetry.

However, due to tradition, we could still have poetry contests, and like I said before, all of them.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
my vote goes to short stories, and I was kinda shocked when I cast my vote. Lets just have them all at some point, maybe in the order of most votes to least.

Kainami

Reaction score
Poetry: literature in metrical form
Sonnet: lyric poem of fixed form (14 lines, specific rhyme scheme)

In the end, sonnets are a part of poetry. Its similar to how haikus are part of poetry, but don't have the usual elements.

It would be better to vary between the two, as in poems and short stories, since different users are interested in different things. This would appeal to a greater crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.