Diablo II Ladder Reset

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Anynoe know the date of the reset? I plan on taking diablo up agian once it happens, anyone else?

I'm gonna play US East this time. Last time I had played Europe :eek:

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
Last time I checked, it was scheduled by Blizz for the end of April 2009. Draw your own conclusions.

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
I still have USEast characters lying around on ladder. I was thinking they wouldn't do any more resets since the release of DIII, but now I'm upset, because all of my good characters are going to non-ladder. D:

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
What is ladder?
Never played it before...

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
It's a new feature they introduced when v1.10 came out (right?).

The concept is simple. Ladder is a new category of class. Not a new class - the paladin, sorc, barb, and so on are still there, but a new category.

The difference between an ordinary necromancer/amazon/assassin/... and a ladder necromancer/amazon/druid/... is that ladder characters play in ladder-only servers. They are totally isolated from ordinary characters.

The interesting detail about their ladder servers is that there are ladder-only uniques or rune words that only work in ladder games. That's right - Blizz made a whole new bunch of cool features especially for the ladder characters. Normal characters don't have access to many of the items on the lists on ArreatSummit.

Ladder characters are made. Anew. If you want a ladder character, you can't use your old pre-1.10 paladin, oh, no. He is a normal character and normal characters cannot be converted into ladder ones. If you want to have a ladder character, you have to make a brand new character and check the "Ladder" box. Thus, you will get a new necro, who will be isolated from the rest of your old pwnzor heroes.

Then, you start playing. You don't have funky items ready for your little necro to take. Neither does anybody else. In order to obtain the awesome new ladder-only items, you have to face the challenge of Diablo2:LoD all alone, without the support of the good equipment that you have collected over the previous years. And so, thousands of pros now start anew with ladder characters.

Of course, they can't play forever like that. Periodically, Blizzard reset the ladder (by releasing the new patch). All ladder characters, big or small, rich or poor, then become normal, like everybody else. Bad thing is, they can't have the ladder-only drops that they had before, because now they are normal and can only join normal games. Good thing is, they get to keep what ladder-only runewords or uniques they had (and trade them for good stuff). And, of course, the worst/best thing is that everybody has to make a new character and raise him/her to high levels and find him/her good equipment all over again for this new ladder season. In order to be able to keep getting ladder-only drops again.

And so, what happens is that people spend more time playing. I, personally, approve of that, because it makes owning a lvl99 bone necro with uberleet equipment less relevant to gameplay, and it really makes the game more interesting. Also, I'm glad that ladder-only uniques still drop in Single Player (since ladder chars only exist on the realms).

Ladder reset means the release of the new patch, which will do some patching but will also reset all ladder characters on Bnet into normal characters. We've been waiting for this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.