Disappointed by Zerg

NuQ

Reaction score
I was just invited to the second wave of beta testing and after playing a few rounds as zerg, im disappointed. I feel that they've moved away from the "Swarm" motif that had originally made the zerg my favorite race. Now there a lot more micro-managing involved, and the overall cost of units makes them less expendable. Thoughts?

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I think overall there units are a bit more costly then star 1. But for them most part i disagree. They still out number the other races by alot.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
second wave as in saturday right? I want one =(
Personally I don't like the Zerg too much, especially the way they produce units. But it's easy to mass units and knowing the hotkeys might make it easier to micro.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
actually the zerg are quite cheaper. The tier 1 units zerglings are the same price. the roaches are more powerful then the old hyrdas and they still are cheaper.

Second, the zerg were about tactic, not micro. They still are, although there are a few units that can be microed(the roaches, mutas and hydras)

Still, that isn't too advisable. You see the zerg are all about letting the right unit in the battle the right time.

The banelings might be a tap expensive, yes, and it is unpleasant when you invest over 50% of your unit funds in them, but when you do so, there will be no ground force capapbe of stopping you. 6 banelings destroy abosolutely everything in that radius.

So even if the game goes into large battles you will never need more then 18 banelings in order to demolish the enemy's ground forces.

In my oppinion the zerg are a lot more dangerous now. The roaches can move underground and have insane regeneration. You should try to do all their upgrades. THey do become invonurable after them.

The new infestor/mage guy is awesome. He can summon up to 8 infested terrains, or root the enemies to the ground.

The queen can summon 4 more larva just for 25 energy

The swarm guardian is the ulltimate ground striker unit.

I honestly don't understand why you don't like the new zerg.

NuQ

Reaction score
^I played around with the roaches a little more and im begining to see what you mean. my strategy was based around the zerglings being the primary "swarm" unit/cannon fodder... now that im employing the roaches more i'm starting to get that old glory to the hive feeling back. :)

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
yeah well, now you should use banelings instead... you see the problem with them is that you can never have enough, cuz even when you destroy the enemy ground army, even if you have some of them left, they explode on the buildings (dealing 80 dmg, but meh)

You should use swarms of roaches and wich ever form of the baneling you feel comfortable to use more.

overload119

Reaction score
I'm currently a Platinum ranked Zerg. I have to say when I first started I was disappointed with Zerg, but after I developed some builds and stuff I think they're quite okay.

Roaches are great. Banelings are not. The guy above was pretty wrong about Banelings, they do die pretty easily. The only use for them is surprise ambushed (they can detonate while underground).

Mutalisks seem useless, and Brood Lords are good but aren't great for their cost... They're so damn expensive. Like Battlecruiser costs, for something that's generally weaker than a Battlecruiser.

Ultralisks are ferocious.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Although I'm not even platinum ranked, I've played like 20 games with Zerg. While you might argue that this is not enough to base an opinion around, I will tell you my opinion anyway.

Banelings do blow up a lot and if you handle them correctly, they will be devastating. You don't even have to make an ambush to do so. If the opponent is not microing the battle a lot(with a really good micro, leaving one unit to be blown up at a time) or if his forces are not too vastly superior to your amount of banelings, you will kill a lot.

I like how you say that Mutalisks seem useless and brood lords merely good when there's a lot discussion(On teamliquid for example) about those units being really good against all races. This, however, is not based on my own personal experience since I can't say I've played enough to say if a unit is overpowered or not.

Now, of course they aren't really overpowered, you just have to counter it effectively, but sometimes doing so is hard.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Zerg vs Zerg atm has deviated from the standard Muta/ling to Roach/ling While

Zerg vs Protoss is still undetermined at this point as it seems to revolve around Build orders using Banelings,Mutalisks,Roaches,Hydralisks and Zerglings.

Zerg vs Terran .....Not really sure since i haven't followed any ZvT streams yet.

Broodlords are fine much better than the Old guardian. Mutalisks+ (100+ Meaningful APM) = awesome.

I think broodlords would be much more useful than the Guardian.

Banelings death AOE does not affect friendlies just an FYI. Cheaper suicide bombers? Yes please.

FYI Corruptors fail Epically a hydralisk mass acompanied by mutalisks can do there jobs more efficiently. I want my scourge and or Devourer back damn it!!

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Btw, Hydras= awesum. We all know that.

Resently I haven't played too much SCII (because of the Witcher) but, I did have enough time to make a full set of tests for the Infestor. Having atleast one of them will make your life easy. First of all, he moves underground. Second, he has a set of outstandingly useful abilities. He has a aoe rooting ability. 'Nuff said. He can summon up to 8 infested terrans at a time, which is one mean punch.

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
I'd note that starcraft took alot of patches to become perfect.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
@Bloodcount:Hell no Mutalisks are more awesome.

Ofcourse. Nothing compares to the mutalisc, but... I usually get a huge ammount of roaches and I need some Air defence fighters. Hyrdas are cheaper and more effective against fliers, so they are the better option for me.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Stacked Mutalisks....

Seriously if you use micro them right they're like the zerg's version of a sniper rifle. One or two hitting everything then able to dart away before you can retaliate...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.