Do sounds leak?

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I was looking at one of the triggers from another map, and I saw this:

Trigger:
  • Sound - Play MageFrostNovaCast <gen> at 100.00% volume, located at (Position of (Triggering unit)) with Z offset 0.00
    • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true

Is the custom script necessary? Does it remove a leak? I'm just a beginner when it comes to removing leaks...I'm just starting...but I haven't heard of a sound variable leaking before. Was curious.

Thanks.

Carnerox

The one and only.
Reaction score
Trigger:
  • set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true

That is for UnitGroups, i have no clue why you are using it for sounds..

Tho idk if sounds leak.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with the sound; that line can be used just before a group action in order to prevent a group leak.

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking! Check it out - it's in the Maps/Frozen Throne/Scenario/ExtremeCandyWars2004 map...on the Frost Nova trigger.

I was taking some sounds off of it and using their triggers and then I found that little custom script right after the sound action...I don't see any unit groups declared in that trigger...so I was like, uhh, does that somehow have to do with the sound?

Weep

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking! Check it out - it's in the Maps/Frozen Throne/Scenario/ExtremeCandyWars2004 map...on the Frost Nova trigger.
You might also notice that the trigger leaks at least 27 points per cast. ;) Blizzard's maps aren't very good examples.

I don't see any unit groups declared in that trigger...
Well, immediately following that line of custom script is:
Trigger:
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of (Position of (Triggering unit)) matching ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and ((((Matching unit) is A structure) Equal to False) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True)))) and do (Actions)

;)

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Where does it leak? I'm very new to leak removal and want to make sure my triggers are sealed as well...and I took quite a bit from that trigger. If you're talking about the special effects, I think they get destroyed in another trigger. But, good point, I would've thought the "professionals" would do it correctly. Who knew the ones that get paid for it still don't do it right :D

Haha, I was under the impression that the "Destroy" code had to come AFTER the "leak" in the trigger...that's why I missed the unit group afterwards.

Weep

Reaction score
Where does it leak? I'm very new to leak removal and want to make sure my triggers are sealed as well.
Have you read this?

Although the effects themselves don't leak as you pointed out, every (Position of (Triggering unit) offset by whatever) leaks one point for the position of the triggering unit, and one point for the result of the offset, each time for 13 times in that loop, then one more (Position of (Triggering unit)) in that group function.

As far as the group leak prevention: there are two ways to do it, one by setting the group to a variable and running a custom script afterward, or by setting that bj_wantDestroyGroup = true beforehand.

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember reading that awhile back.

That's interesting. I didn't think (Position of (Triggering unit)) would leak by itself. And I also didn't know that "offset by x" leaks too...wow.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.