Does a 2.5" 2TB 7200RPM 9.5mm Hard Drive Exist?

Eyonix

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I haven't had any luck finding one that is purchasable or close to release.... But then again I don't know if I was just looking in the wrong places.... I've been googling this for 3 days now and the closest I can find is a 2.5" 2TB 5400RPM 9.5mm.... Its going into my PS4 so that is the reason I am trying to find such a massive hard drive with 7200 rpms.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Wikipedia states that the largest current available capacity for 2.5" HDDs is 2TB, as of 2012. Now, that is quite some time, we're almost going on 2014 so I'm a bit surprised no larger 2.5" HDDs have appeared on the marked.

According to Wiki's page references, this HDD is a Western Digital Green, which you can find here and has IntelliPower, which is supposedly between 5400 and 7200 and does optimizations to get you your content as fast as possible, while conserving power.

However, why 2TB? I am currently totaling 4.2 TB of storage on my desktop, on various drives, and I am using only 1.3 TB. Most of this is going into movies (a LOT of them) and other media storage, and I have a few games like SCII or Diablo III or FEAR which take up space. Considering games that take up 20GB of space (and this is an exaggeration), you could store 100 games. That is quite overkill, in my opinion.

Eyonix

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Well the stock 500GB hard drive that comes with the PS4 can only hold 10-12 games and the OS..... COD Ghosts, takes up 49GB BF4, Assassins creed BF etc etc... All average 45GB per game.... So my 500GB hard drive is nearly full already, plus lets not forget about downloadable content that is going to be released soon...... I will be surprised if I don't fill the 2TB hard drive to be honest..... I don't clear out old game data because I get trophies / achievements etc....

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Wow. I never owned a console so I had no idea that games on PS take up so much space.

Have you checked out that WD drive I suggested?
However, the issue with such a HDD is that it's very rare, as you can see. That means it's also newer and more experimental technology, so there's quite a chance you might encounter issues.
How hard is it to swap the PS4 HDD? Could you live with two 1TB HDDs which you swap? Probably keep older games on one of them and what you play most often on the other?

Also, I saw some articles on the Internet that the PS4 supports external storage, but you can't play games from that storage. Is this confirmed? If yes, that's such a shitty limitation. If not, you could always get an external 3.5 HDD, even larger than 2TB and be happy ever after :D.

It's also a surprise to me that achievements and trophies, whatever, are not stored in the cloud, but on the console. That's so old-fashioned.

Eyonix

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
They are stored in the cloud but I have a bad habit of not getting 100% of them so I don't delete my data, like for example I have crysis 3 and I have 2 achievements left to get so I haven't deleted the data even though I beat the main story line on the hardest difficulty.

The PS4 and Xbox One are both the same way, the newer games for them take up more room because they are being ran off of the hard drive instead of being played through the disk drive, so therefor running faster and not bottlenecking the console. So thats why they take up so much room. PS3 and Xbox 360 only take up MB's some time a game takes up 1 or 2 GB's if there is a lot of data for it, like Skyrim or something....

I just checked out those hard drives and they are all 15mm tall if I'm not mistaken, so those will not work unfortunately, it cannot be taller than 9.5mm.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Ah, sorry I did not check the height. Don't know what to tell you then.

Maybe if you wait a while, some newer drives will appear, but that's not a guarantee. I feel the current technology is heading more towards SSDs when it comes to 2.5", rather than large HDDs (this is my opinion, might be wrong).

However, considering those large file sizes when it comes to the PS4 games, it's really surprising to me that they didn't include larger HDDs with the console.

Eyonix

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
They are probably going to do the same thing they did to the PS3, Release it with a small HDD then about a year or 2 later start releasing them with bigger hard drives..... Like when PS3 game out it had a 120 or 160gb HDD now they are standard 500GB. I think this is the closest I am going to get to what I am after though. Atleast any time soon.... I don't feel like waiting. The PS4 HDD swap is just pull off 1 cover and unscrew 1 philips then unplug and switch. Thanks anyway though. I'll do some more research I guess maybe see if I can find a good SSD that matches my requirements instead. SSD would be better any way

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score

Eyonix

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I just realized that, the SSD I liked they wanted $7,400 for..... So 1.5TB HDD it is
thanks

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't think they exist yet - there are 2.5 hard drives that are 2TB, but they are at 15 mm height - those are made for portable hard drives which do not need an external power source (USB powered)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.