Doesn't the graphics seem...strange?

punwisp

Reaction score
When looking at the graphics of SCII it doesn't look realistic... It seems more cartoonish kind of graphics, not saying it as in it sucks I'm just saying how they designed it seems more cartoony 3D graphics, not realistic graphics, what do you guys think?

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
I find that the cartoonish look is not appropriate for a Sci-Fi game.

Samwise is a great concept artist, no doubt about it. Yet the models, and especially the textures look like they obsessively adapted his concept drawings 1:1.
In some games such as Wc3, a mere cartoonish touch works very well, other games like Team Fortress 2 thrive on it, and on others it looks like an indecisive concept. Unfortunately Sc2 counts among the latter. I can only hope they make well use of their time for a graphic overhaul.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
I would have to agree that the graphics are more cartoonish then what I would like to see. I would still however them just release the dame game before I die than take the time to do a graphics overall. The game still looks sweet, but I can't say I'm not a little disappointed with some aspects of it.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Are you just looking at the screenshots?

Because the actual unit models are way more high poly and awesome than wc3 models. (Or at least it achieves the look very well)

I don't know how it is cartoony, maybe from far away but not up close. And I don't think some of the aspects, such as UI and some other stuff are finished yet.

I don't know :) I just think that it looks really nice in my opinion. =)

Reaction score
I like the graphics, but they would be much better if they were darker and grittier. Plenty of time for Blizzard to make changes, though.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
the graphics remind me of war of the worlds.

dont know why, but they do.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
maybe because of the protoss collossus :rolleyes:

I don't think it's too cartoonish and it is a big improvement from warcraft graphics...Definitely the graphics look smoother than wc.... I like the look.

They don't need to change anything as far as im concerned with the visuals...Hell making it "grittier and realistic" will probably make the video cards required for this game really high. Along with memory...

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
There are Many reason why it looks cartoony

1. Because some people like the cartoonish look (like me)
2. Fantasy Games usually have that cartoon look while modern day games have that RL look. (even if its a Science Fiction Game its still somewhat a fantasy)
3. To make sure people with older computers can still handle the game and won't have to get a new computer to play the game

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Most of them don't look really very cartoony to me. Theres a few units from all races, mostly zerg, that look cartoony, but im sure plenty of things will change before the game comes out, graphics being one of them...

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
I find that especially the terran buildings look too wobbly-bobbly roundish to be terran, especially the Command Center. A good design for the terran command center was presented with the original starcraft in one of the map loading screens. Terran buildings need distinct edges to obtain the typical terran look as established in the original Starcraft; right now they look more like molded of clay. In other places it's mainly the textures that do need a touch of realism.
I also had high expectations on the overall graphics, which should reproduce a far more dark and gloomy mood, which would then be lightened up by stark floodlights, flashes of firing rounds or the bright bluish light of archons floating by. Yet it looks like units do neither emit light nor are they much affected by light, which I find very poor for a game that stands on the brink to directX10.
Imagine a movie like "Aliens" or "Starship Troopers" with the visual concept of "The Wizzard of Oz" - that's where Blizzard is currently heading with the graphics of Starcraft 2.

punwisp

Reaction score
I totally agree on that. Also I know gameplay is better, and I don't mind the graphics, just asking your guys opinions

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
In my Gamespot magazine, they said the SSs looked bad but if you played it, it looked awesome.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Look at command and conquer 3 kanes wrath.

That is how sc2 should look. Just take a look at it and compare. GG :)

punwisp

Reaction score
Eh not quite like C&C 3 lol, EA focused half the agme to be on graphics, take out most of the shiny glossyness and alot of the special effects then sure. But then it would lose its feel :p HIgh graphics should honestly be for FPS

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.