"Finishes casting" delay issues

gameshow

Reaction score
So i have an ability based on thunderclap. This is because I like how thunderclap is a "click-and-forget" ability, no targetting required. Behind the scenes, of course, is the creation of a dummy unit which proceeds to use various abilities on my triggering unit.

The problem is, i get some strange behavior if my event is "Unit BEGINS casting an ability", but the dummy is also created immediately and goes to work. However, if I switch to "FINISHES casting an ability", i get the desired behavior, but nearly a 1 second delay in my dummy unit going to work. Solution?

gameshow

Reaction score
Found that in some other posts (i do search sometimes, i promise). This still gets me a minor delay, as compared with "begins casting" which results in instantaneous action. Other things i could try?

Edit: After tinkering around, the "starts effect" event works well enough, and i'll leave it at that.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Could you post your trigger perhaps?

EDIT: I don't see why this would make a delay;
Which is why I'm asking you to post your trigger.

gameshow

Reaction score
Could you post your trigger perhaps?

EDIT: I don't see why this would make a delay;
Which is why I'm asking you to post your trigger.

I think it's just inherent in the thunderclap ability it's based on, and the fact that there's a tiny (i mean maybe .2 seconds) delay in when the effect takes hold. It isn't going to affect anything.
JASS:
Pass Out
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Drifter - Pass Out 
    Actions
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
        Set passOutDummy = (Last created unit)
        Unit - Add Drifter - Pass Out (Dummy - Sleep)  to passOutDummy
        Unit - Order passOutDummy to Undead Dreadlord - Sleep (Triggering unit)
        Set passOutDuration = 10
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to passOutDuration, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Wait 1.00 seconds
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        ((Triggering unit) has buff Sleep) Equal to True
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Set life of (Triggering unit) to ((Life of (Triggering unit)) + 30.00)
                        Unit - Set mana of (Triggering unit) to ((Mana of (Triggering unit)) + 30.00)
                    Else - Actions
        Unit - Remove passOutDummy from the game

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
.2 seconds isn't going to matter :p .
Also, your trigger leaks and unless you use the dummy elsewhere, you don't need to set it into a variable.

EDIT: And why are you using the variable "passOutDuration"?
Just do:
Code:
For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
:confused: ?

gameshow

Reaction score
I suppose I don't have to. Just makes the code a little easier to read is all. Yeah, i don't need the dummy variable anymore. I did when i was using it for other abilities. Thanks for picking that out, tho.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Here, I touched up your code for you:
Code:
Pass Out
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Drifter - Pass Out 
    Actions
        Set tempPoint = Position of (Triggering unit)
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at tempPoint facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Add Drifter - Pass Out (Dummy - Sleep)  to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Dreadlord - Sleep (Triggering unit)
        Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Custom script:     call RemoveLocation(udg_tempPoint)
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Wait 1.00 seconds
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        ((Triggering unit) has buff Sleep) Equal to True
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Set life of (Triggering unit) to ((Life of (Triggering unit)) + 30.00)
                        Unit - Set mana of (Triggering unit) to ((Mana of (Triggering unit)) + 30.00)
                    Else - Actions
Also, your trigger is not MUI, in case you wanted to know ;) !

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Multi-Unit Instanceable.
It means if two (or more) units cast the spell at the same time, the spell will work fine and won't screw up/bug.

gameshow

Reaction score
Ah. I knew that going in. I should probably do what it takes to make it MUI, but as of now, in this map, only 1 player will have 1 unit capable of doing this. Having said that, no good reason i shouldn't plan otherwise. I'm rusty enough at making triggers (it's been years, literally), i'm content to jsut get the stuff working.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
That's what I thought too but;
You'll eventually (unless it's a Campaign or a solo game where only one unit has the spell) have to make it MUI, so why not do it in the first place ;) !
I'm currently reading this, a GUI -> MUI tutorial.
I've just finished reading it and it's helped me!

BarzahdX

Reaction score
I know you guys have been theorycrafting an answer, but I have an easy key.

Step 1) Set the casting unit's backswing and cast point to lower numbers (instant being 0.001[haven't tried 0.000]).

Step 2) Base the "dummy"(thunderclap) ability off of Fan of Knives, one must stand still to cast Thunderclap. Fan of Knives, the hero pauses for about 0.05 seconds, casts, then continues to it's destination.. There is no pause at all if the player is mashing commands.

That's what I do at least, I prefer to use FoK, as it seems least noticable, goodluck!

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
I wouldn't play around with backswings and such.
But basing the ability off of Fan of Knives is a good idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.