Firefox virus

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have some sort of virus which is redirecting me to virus scan websites (fake ones obviously), and is often making a pop up appear randomly saying windows needs me to scan my computer for viruses. This only happens when I'm on firefox, and I'm pretty sure it is a virus made specifically for firefox as I'm on a mac; an operating system which I do not have would not be asking me to do things.

I found a page explaining how to get rid of this virus (the symptoms are just like what it is talking about), except I'm having a little problem. The instructions are meant for windows users, although I was able to find the right directory without much trouble, their solution isn't working for me.

Here is the page http://spillspace.com/2009/new-firefox-virus/

the problem for me is that there is no overlay.xul in the directory where they said it would be. I did a search for the term and came up with no results. I don't know if anyone here would be able to help me with this as I'm using a mac, but many of you use firefox, so let me know if you know how to fix this.

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
The guide says it can have different names, try finding files thats created around the first time the virus came.

And delete your old Java versions.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
Well, I couldn't seem to figure it out. I couldn't find any file that might have fit the overlay.xul description, nor did that anti-virus slapshot suggested find anything. I just did a clean reinstall of firefox, I've been surfing around for a while and haven't had any problems, so I think that fixed it.

plus rep to everyone for trying to help anyway. Sorry slapshot, apparently I gave you some already recently.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.