FTP Server

P

PwnThePanda

So me and my friends want to find an easy way to share our music instead of constantly sending files over aim. I was thinking of creating an FTP Server but I wouldn't know if it would work. So I've came up with a few questions to ask.

1. Would my friends be able to upload all of their music to the ftp site even if I'm the one hosting it using a third party program.

2. Does anyone know of a free third party program to host an ftp site or any other way to host one? To my knowlege for windows xp users, the only way we can do it is using third party programs.

3. Is this a good or bad idea?

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
PwnThePanda said:
So me and my friends want to find an easy way to share our music instead of constantly sending files over aim. I was thinking of creating an FTP Server but I wouldn't know if it would work. So I've came up with a few questions to ask.

1. Would my friends be able to upload all of their music to the ftp site even if I'm the one hosting it using a third party program.

2. Does anyone know of a free third party program to host an ftp site or any other way to host one? To my knowlege for windows xp users, the only way we can do it is using third party programs.

3. Is this a good or bad idea?

1. As long as they have the right URL and user and pass they can get in.
2. DDRtists has a server, try asking him.
3. Seems pretty good

I sorta remember you from a long time ago. Were you once active here a lot?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I accually have 4 servers ;P

Well, I hate to break it to you, but its -very- hard to find a decent, working, free FTP client. I bought mine, for like $35 that I can use on my servers, and it works pretty nice.

And yeah, they will be able to upload/download/delete and everything, as long as you set their user with the ability to do that.

:)

P

PwnThePanda

Ok cool, Now that I know it's a good idea and it would work. I need a third party program. How's this one look?

http://www.nchsoftware.com/ftp/index.html

And yes I was active a long time ago, but then I picked up the piano, guitar, and WoW, so their was no time for thehelper.net

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Looks differnt to mine xP

All I have to say, is try it, if you don't like it, or it doesn't work, get rid of it. :D

P

PwnThePanda

DDRtists said:
Looks differnt to mine xP

All I have to say, is try it, if you don't like it, or it doesn't work, get rid of it. :D

Well I can't seem to figure how to get it to work.... so can you test it out for me ....please :) <3 :)

Then after you can tell me how to work the damn program!

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Sure, i'll do that in a few. Going to go play some DDR for an hour or two.

P

PwnThePanda

So I found a program that seems to work, however I can only access the ftp page on the computer that it's running on. Any ideas on how to fix this?

dashival

Reaction score
Are we sure he's got an actual FTP server setup, or is he trying to host one of his folders online?

mase

____ ___ ____ __
Reaction score
DDRtists said:
http://<your ip>
shouldn't it be ftp://<your ip>???
if not, y not?

P

Persen

There are one called zFTPServer or something similar. It's the one i'm using.
EDIT: Didn't see you already got one :D

It should be ftp://<ip>

Also, get a dynamic dns service while you're at it. This binds a domain name to your ip, even if it's changing all the time.
dyndns.org and no-ip.info are two good ones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.