Getting the Z-axis of a point

Tawnttoo

Reaction score
I would need to get the Z-axis of a point (basically unit flying height) so I can create a lightning effect from ground unit to flying and vice versa. I suppose there's some JASS line to do it?

TomTTT

Reaction score
If i got you right, you can simply set a variable
Trigger:
  • Set Height = (Current flying height of Target)

Height is a real variable, Current or Default flying height can be found in Unit - Flying height.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
It's [ljass]GetLocationZ(whichLocation)[/ljass], returning the height of the terrain at that location. Add that to the flying height of a unit, and you will have what you need*.

*Note that it is impossible to accurately determine the actual game Z position of a unit with Fly movement type if it is near a cliff, over trees, or over a building, because flying units automatically adjust their height smoothly near these obstacles but their flying height value does not change to reflect that. Only WC3 abilities can accurately target a flying unit's true coordinates in all circumstances, eg. Finger of Death could let you create a lightning from a dummy unit to the accurate 3D position of the target.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
It's always easier (at least for me or many other GUIers) to use a hidden dummy to cast Finger of Death to another dummy/or your desired unit, and mimic the lightning effect. No need periodic trigger to move the lightning around and it's easier to destroy (just remove the caster or set lightning duration in FoD data field). Drawbacks will be that you need few dummies for it and you need to move the dummy instead. And depending on application though...

TomTTT

Reaction score
It's [ljass]GetLocationZ(whichLocation)[/ljass], returning the height of the terrain at that location. Add that to the flying height of a unit, and you will have what you need*.

*Note that it is impossible to accurately determine the actual game Z position of a unit with Fly movement type if it is near a cliff, over trees, or ver a building, because flying units automatically adjust their height smoothly near these obstacles but their flying height value does not change to reflect that. Only WC3 abilities can accurately target a unit's true coordinates, eg. Finger of Death could let you create a lightning from a dummy unit to the accurate 3D position of the target.

Where's the problem with Current flying height?
I never acctually USED it, but it sounds pretty much like whats the flying height of that unit this very moment...

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Where's the problem with Current flying height?
I never acctually USED it, but it sounds pretty much like whats the flying height of that unit this very moment...
This part:
because flying units automatically adjust their height smoothly near these obstacles but their flying height value does not change to reflect that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.