Going to South Korea in July

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Man I wish that I would have went on this trip. My daughter dropped out of the program the first night there and has been staying in the Hotel with my ex down there the whole time. We would have had a blast if I would have went.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
This is really her first time away from home and she freaked out. Since my ex wife was up there with her she pulled her out of the school and did not take her back. The school was just not like anything my daughter had imagined and they were working really hard and pushing the kids on the first day they got there and my daughter was exhausted from the trip and that added to her cracking. She basically just wanted the hell out of that school and since my ex was there she was able to get out.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Damn.. That sucks! ^
But seriously, how far would they, push their children to "Succeed?"

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
The Koreans are famous for pushing there kids very hard. It might have been different if they would have let her rest after the flight down but, oh well.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
The Koreans are famous for pushing there kids very hard.
So the point of the program was immersion into educational culture, not Korean culture in general? I don't think many students would go overseas just for that.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
So the point of the program was immersion into educational culture, not Korean culture in general? I don't think many students would go overseas just for that.

Mainly it was Language. The culture class is the only Korean class offered in her school. In California and New York is where that program is really centered and that is where most all the kids came from. My daughter was the only one who came out the midwest and I believe the only one from a strictly culture program.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems like it would probably be too much for her.

She got overwhelmed. If they would have just went lighter on the first day there it probably would have been a different story. They will be back Thursday morning :)

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
She got overwhelmed. If they would have just went lighter on the first day there it probably would have been a different story. They will be back Thursday morning :)

Can she even talk to the students? Korean families seem like they would probably be against their child befriending an American I bet.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Can she even talk to the students? Korean families seem like they would probably be against their child befriending an American I bet.

At the time she left she still had not made any friends. She did not know anyone there. She was the only one who won a scholorship in Tx.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
At the time she left she still had not made any friends. She did not know anyone there. She was the only one who won a scholorship in Tx.

So it's not really any different? Did you recently move before she was at the school before or something? I feel kinda bad for her, lol.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
So it's not really any different? Did you recently move before she was at the school before or something? I feel kinda bad for her, lol.

She had her mom there and I think she managed to have a good time. I cannot wait to see her and hear about the trip. She has not told me much over skype.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Can she actually speak any korean or did the people over there speak english?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Imagine you've been up since 2am already, flying overseas "13 hours of nonstop flight"
You'll be tired (Jet lag). And she's Just 13 years old. And first time away. Well, no wonder she was exhausted.
You should have by at least two days off from anything..

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Imagine you've been up since 2am already, flying overseas "13 hours of nonstop flight"
You'll be tired (Jet lag). And she's Just 13 years old. And first time away. Well, no wonder she was exhausted.
You should have by at least two days off from anything..

Not necessarily. You can prevent jet lag easily.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear the Asian Education system is a lot tougher and much more is expected from kids than in the US. I was not there but from what I hear, they were really pushing those kids on the 1st day and probably every one except mine had absolutely no way out and had to take it. They were thousands of miles from home.

It could have been like a boot camp. An indoctrination or something. Probably will never know because it is doubtful anyone will ever talk to anyone from that trip again. lol

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
I hear the Asian Education system is a lot tougher and much more is expected from kids than in the US. I was not there but from what I hear, they were really pushing those kids on the 1st day and probably every one except mine had absolutely no way out and had to take it. They were thousands of miles from home.

It could have been like a boot camp. An indoctrination or something. Probably will never know because it is doubtful anyone will ever talk to anyone from that trip again. lol

It all depends on the child's parents. A lot of parents want to see their child become successful, especially if they were never successful themselves. You seem like you would simply want what makes your daughter happy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.