Graphics card 2nd slot defective?

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
GTX275
The Second DVI slot on my graphics card doesnt seem to be working. I'm trying to hook a tv up to it.
The TV works fine when plugged into slot 1. But slot 2 does nothing. My computer moniter will not come on if plugged into slot 2 either. I have the settings in the control panel set to multiple displays, and windows does recognize when the tvs plugged into the 2nd slot, it just doesnt display on the TV.

At our old house, I had it working before just fine. with both 1920x1080 resolution .. it can handle that right? I hope the 2nd slot isnt defective

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
Hello Newbwc3,

I recommend doing the following steps. I've recently had a GPU error which caused the card to stop displaying video. I did the following steps to fix the problem.

1. Shut down your PC and wait a few minutes.
2. Earth yourself. You can do this with an anti-static bracelet or touching the PSU (when it's plugged in) or even a radiator.
3. Remove all cables from the I/O ports on the PC. (e.g. USB, PSU cable, video cable, etc.)
4. Open the side of your case. If you can see a silver battery on your motherboard, then take this out. Make sure you can see how it comes out, you don't want to end up breaking the clip that holds it in place. Removing this will reset HARD RESET the CMOS. Leave it out for approximately 20-30 minutes for it to reset fully. Note: If you can't see the silver battery, it will most likely be under your GPU. Please refer to step 5. If you can see the battery in plain view, then skip step 5.
5. Time to remove the GPU. Inside the case where the GPU is, there will be a screw securing the card in to the rear I/O. Unscrew this and then flick a clip on the motherboard (where the x16 slot is) to unhook it and take it out. Place this on an anti-static mat or in the anti-static bag that the card is kept in inside the box. Then you will see the silver battery if you couldn't see it in step 4.
6. After 20-30 minutes has passed, put the battery back in. If you had to do step 5, put the GPU back in its place after putting in the battery. Now put the side of the case on and hook up all the cables to the I/O, and boot it up.

7. (Optional but recommended) Only use one screen when booting up for this first time. Use the monitor on the DVI port that doesn't seem defective. Log in, and go to Screen Resolution. Then plug the second DVI cable in to the second DVI slot on the GPU. On the Screen Resolution click the 'Detect' option and it should work.

I hope this has helped you resolve your GPU problem. If the problem occurs again, please reply in as much detail as possible.

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
Thank you, MrBrooks for trying to help, I did some research on resetting CMOS and it seems to be the same thing as setting the BIOS to default settings. So I did that and my card still isn't working. If I hard reset it with your method will it mess anything up like windows or my saved files? this computer is to important to be playing around with motherboard chips if u know what i mean :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.