Hashtable Saving Group

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
From what I experimented, you can save a group into a hashtable. However, if you destroy that group before it is loaded, it will not be able to be loaded anymore. So I'm asking if it's okay to not destroy the group and destroy the group after it is loaded (a few seconds later). However, will this will cause a memory leak if I'm not wrong as if I don't destroy the group before it is set again, it will leak. And another question, if I store a group called TempGroup in a hashtable and if I set TempGroup as another value, will I get back the old value of TempGroup or the new value of it when I load the hashtable?

werasd

Reaction score
For the first question... maybe you should destroy it and then set it?
The second one. I guess you would get back the new value, since the other value was "overwritten"

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
For the first question... maybe you should destroy it and then set it?
The second one. I guess you would get back the new value, since the other value was "overwritten"

Destroying would cause my load group to load an empty group as the group is destroyed before it was loaded. As for the second answer, this would make hashtable quite pointless. I mean, that'll basically function as a normal global unit group variables :nuts: I was hoping the hashtable to store the unit group data itself even after the unit group being destroyed or reset.

werasd

Reaction score
Well.. i don't know how to handle hashtables at all. But i know that they have some kind of groups inside them. Like: Hashtable1 Group, Position.
So, when you are destroying the hashtables, don't you have the option to destroy a specific group of the variable, or you have to clean up the whole hashtable?
For the first question... what i meant, was to destroy it's data and then set it up again with you need for the next works, so as not to leak things unused.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
From what I experimented, you can save a group into a hashtable. However, if you destroy that group before it is loaded, it will not be able to be loaded anymore. So I'm asking if it's okay to not destroy the group and destroy the group after it is loaded (a few seconds later).
Well, sure, if you don't lose track of that group. Just like with a variable.

And another question, if I store a group called TempGroup in a hashtable and if I set TempGroup as another value, will I get back the old value of TempGroup or the new value of it when I load the hashtable?
I think you will get the old value. Just like if you had TempGroup1 and TempGroup2, and set TempGroup2 equal to TempGroup1 and then set a new group to TempGroup1, TempGroup2 would still be the old group. (BTW: it wouldn't be hard to try it yourself.)

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
So in the end, is there a use for saving group in hashtables? I mean, it basically functions as a group variable.

werasd

Reaction score
I think you will get the old value. Just like if you had TempGroup1 and TempGroup2, and set TempGroup2 equal to TempGroup1 and then set a new group to TempGroup1, TempGroup2 would still be the old group. (BTW: it wouldn't be hard to try it yourself.)

That isn't what he is pointing, i guess. In the case, he has just the TempGroup1, and if he sets it to another value (and change it in the hashtable too), so the older was overwritten, and he won't be able to restore it anymore.
Oooooh... thinking more, i got what you want. If you store it in the hashtable and after it, set it to another value, the value stored in the hashtable will remain... that's what you want, right?
If so... i'm not pretty sure, cause i don't know how hashtables work. But i guess they work as variables... i mean, if you set it to a value, it will remain as it was stored, unless you change it in the hashtable too (that means, if you store a variable in a hashtable, and then set that variable to another value, the value stored in the hashtable will remain, till you set it again in the hashtable).

Pretty confusing...

So in the end, is there a use for saving group in hashtables? I mean, it basically functions as a group variable.

I guess hashtables are just used for simplifying things... making stuff easier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.