helpz with the guitar!

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
I don't know if guitars are like this but.

I try to play a chord and if my fingers are on an exact position , like 1cm off , would get me really bad sound or none at all. Like if I was off by a little bit it would give me that staticy noise.

So I'm trying to play songs but I find it super difficult to change chords. It takes me way too long. Any help / suggestions :confused:

btw: Im really new to guitars.

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
I've been playing for a tad over 6 months, I'm not great but I can help ya out with the basics.

First : Your problem is pretty normal, many of my friends have run into the same issue.

Second : Ask yourself "Is this chord change realistic?"

Example : Going from a "G" bar-form chord to an B minor chord is semi-impossible is some-most situations. Dumb it down, pick a new song.

However, If your trying to power-chord it up, as most people do, it simply requires repition and a bit of prior knowledge.

Third : Make sure your fingers are as close the corosponding fret as possible!

Example : E |------------|------------|------------| (Frets - 1, 2 and 3 on the "Low E" string.

To play fret 2 place your finger were I have placed the "0"

Example : E |------------|----------0-|------------|

This minimizes buzzing on most electric guitars! However, if you hear buzzing, move your finger back slightly! (Back = Closer to the first fret of the guitar!)

Fourth : If you can play the second fret E with out buzzing then great! (If not, tell me so I can clarify.) Now, apply this to the basic "power-chord" form. No, this will not be simple for many beginners, don't think you'll have it down in an hour. It takes practice.

Your fingers should be in the following position :

D |------------|----------0-|------------|
A |------------|----------0-|------------|
E |----------0-|------------|------------|

Strum the chord by taking the pick and lightly running across top three strings. THIS IS OFTEN THE MOST DIFFUCULT PART! It can be challenging not to hit all six string and produce a horrible sound. My best advice : strum diagonally, in a down and out fashion. (All of this works with bar, open, funk and just about any other chord you think of. The power chord is simply an example.)

Fifth : If you've got that undercontrol, practice "double picking". Double picking, struming up and down in repitition, MAKES CHORD CHANGES WAY EASIER! Once you've got a good one, two, three, four rythem accomplished follow step 1 - 4 for the chords you want to play!

Six : This is the fun part, or the most angering. Strum chord #1 with a down stroke and chord #2 with an up stroke. Begin slowly and slowly pick up the tempo. With a bit of practice you'll have a nice rythem going in about an hour.

Here some chords I'd adivse learning with.

Open Chords:

"G" Chord.

e |------------|------------|----------0-|
b |------------|------------|----------0-|
G |------------|------------|------------|
D |------------|------------|------------|
E |------------|------------|----------0-|

"D" Chord (Don't strum "X" strings)

e |------------|----------0-|------------|
b |------------|------------|----------0-|
G |------------|----------0-|------------|
D |------------|------------|------------|
A |------------|------------|-----------X|
E |------------|------------|-----------X|

Power Chords:

"E" Chord (Don't strum "X" strings)

e |------------|------------|-----------X|
b |------------|------------|-----------X|
G |------------|------------|-----------X|
E |------------|------------|------------|

"A" Chord (Don't strum "X" strings)

e |------------|------------|-----------X|
b |------------|------------|-----------X|
G |------------|------------|-----------X|
E |----------0-|------------|------------|
/\
(Fret # 5)

I hope this helps ya out, power-chords are epic fun. :)

Zakyath

Reaction score
he made cute frets, and the 0's are where you're supposed to hold your finger.

The power chords are:

E5:

e x
b x
g x
d 2
a 2
e 0

A5:

e x
b x
g x
d 7
a 7
e 5

All power chords are played the same, just on different frets.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
as a non-guitarist... all I can say is practice... A lot... :)

Really, at your level do about 15 minutes a day... mostly build up strength in the fingers. Try basical chord structures, but also mess around with the guitar and just try random things. Sometimes it'll sound good, other times it'll sound like 20 angry kittens that are lighting your house on fire. Point is to keep experimenting and don't always just use the same old things like everyone else!

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Just keep practicing, I have been playing for 6 years, I sucked my first year I had to sound proof the room I was playing because no soul would ever want to hear what I was playing. :p

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
I'm still like that when I practice. I need a room that's really isolated otherwise I'll think people are listenning to me, and I hate people who listen to me what I'm practicing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.