Hosting Showcase: Linode - A Developer's Best Friend

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Here comes my next host that I'll be taking a look at. Linode is a Linux VPS host that didn't get bought out and fail like Slicehost has done over the past four years. I'm trying to keep these showcases concise and informative so they can be of the most use.

http://www.linode.com

Linode is a high quality VPS host with space in 6 datacenters - 4 in the US, one in Europe, and one in Japan. They are sufficiently small that they still are mostly untouched by the troubles of being a big corporation and are able to maintain an efficient and reputable operation. Linode has decent mid-range hardware at last observation - typically Intel Xeon 54xx and 55xx CPUs and good RAID 10 disk speeds. Despite their claim of being the "Linode Cloud", Linode is not a cloud provider by my definition - they are a very robust VPS platform with great flexibility. Linode's strength lies in their automation - there is almost nothing you cannot do in the Linode Manager - you can create new disk partitions, upgrade Linodes (their name for VPSes), rebuild Linodes, set up private networking, reboot, access the console, check statistics, clone, configure backups, setup Node Balancers (front end load balancers you can use to distribute traffic to multiple Linodes), and a myriad of other options. Linode is an excellent platform for small VPS setups. They are not for larger setups. As you can see, their pricing goes up in a perfectly linear fashion, which does not lend itself well to larger allocations. Anything larger than about a 1 GB Linode could be had at another good provider at a better value. But if you have need for a small unmanaged VPS with a lot of flexibility, this provider is for you!

The quick and dirty:
PROS:
- Good for small operations.
- Huge configuration flexibility.
- Great support and lots of documentation.

CONS:
- Too expensive for larger VPSes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.