How could I create a buff to remove collision size?

Dovekie

Reaction score
What I am trying to do is make it so that when a certain hero is casting a Bladestorm type ability, he has no collision size. Like a wind walked hero or like someone using phase boots in dota.

I thought of a couple ways--

The first was to apply the buff "windwalk" to the ability and then to go make it so windwalk doesn't make you invisible, but the options for editing buffs are extremely limited, and that wasn't an option.

The second was to create a trigger like this
Event:
-Unit - Unit begins casting ability
Condition:
- [Ability being cast] equal to Bladestorm
Action:
-Unit- Turn collision for Unit Off.

This seems like it would work, but it won't let me select the hero. When I try to, it makes me click on a unit on the map, but the unit hasn't been created yet, so it isn't on the map.

I'm sure it is very simple. I am just pretty noobish at the editor and have been trying at it for a while now.

Imp Midna

Reaction score
Next to the button you can use to choose a unit, click on the drop-down list and choose "Triggering Unit". It will always refer to the caster of the ability and, therefor, turn off the collision for the caster.
The Trickier Part will be to actually turn it on again once Bladestorm ends. The Easiest way is to use "Wait (x) seconds", where x is the duration of Bladestorm, and then use "Unit - Turn on collision for Triggering Unit On" respectively. Note that Wait is, however, a little inaccurate (~0.25 seconds usually), so the collision might be a little shorter, or (in most cases) a little longer than expected.
Doing it more accurately would require advanced knowledge of the trigger editor and timers.
Also, consider using "Unit begins to start the effect of an ability" as an event instead. At the event you are using, the spell may still be interrupted after the collision was turned off, granting a free no-collision-buff.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
You could also change the Fade Time for Wind Walk (or another invisibility spell) to a higher value than the duration of Bladestorm, so that the unit technically has invisibility but doesn't actually disappear.

Juggernaut

I don't know what to change it to
Reaction score
You could also change the Fade Time for Wind Walk (or another invisibility spell) to a higher value than the duration of Bladestorm, so that the unit technically has invisibility but doesn't actually disappear.

Doing this disables critical strikes afaik.

My idea is to use a timer. Since you know how long your spell will last then start timer when ability is cast with duration (total duration of spell). Then check when the timer ends and add collision.
Oh, I think Imp suggested the same thing before me..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.