Illegal map protection?

WCGMapMaker

Reaction score
I was going to open a map to check a trigger out not sure if it was protected or not but you know how when it is, it says something like triggers missing, files missing etc etc etc. well this one when i tried to open up locked up my world editor and my computer and i have to restart. Are there map protectors that people are using that are illegal to screw with peoples computers? first time i've come across, tested it again and it locked WE up again so i know its suppose to do that.

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
They don't want you messing with their map, and rightly so. Some people put years of work into map making (you should know). So I say all the power to them to deter you from looking at what they want to be private.

And no, there is no "law" about map protection :p

canons200

Reaction score
I was going to open a map to check a trigger out not sure if it was protected or not but you know how when it is, it says something like triggers missing, files missing etc etc etc. well this one when i tried to open up locked up my world editor and my computer and i have to restart. Are there map protectors that people are using that are illegal to screw with peoples computers? first time i've come across, tested it again and it locked WE up again so i know its suppose to do that.
that is not illegal map protection, Just map protection, there are many map protection program, some is taking out the trigger so you can't open it, some is hiding the trigger so you can't add / remove, and many more. They are also map protection program. not illegal or what.

WCGMapMaker

Reaction score
illegal in the manner of damaging a persons computer. ill send you the map and you can see for yourself. protecting a map is one thing but protecting it by damaging pre existing files on anothers . . . i dont think so
File damaged after opening the map where all saved wc3 files, campaign custom everything in the save section. not the i care to much about most of the stuff there but i did have LAN saved games there that we were planning to continue.

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
Ah I was thinking it only crashed your editor, rather than damaging other files. Well this got me thinking that it would be treated as something similar to a virus. They damage files; are they legal?

I did a quick google search (you can do more) and found this. It says that programs designed to damage files on a government computer are illegal, but for private computers it is up to a bit more interpretation. Take a look for yourself.

And if it is damaging your files, then no I don't want the map :p

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
No, they are not illegal.
Your computer probably had to restart because it's old.

The map protection simply crashed your World Editor, preventing it from opening the map.

WCGMapMaker

Reaction score
old?
27-inch: 3.06GHz
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB memory
1TB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB

1 of the best comps money can buy, anyways im not to worried even if it is illegal not like i would waste my time or anyone would, just wondering if this is becoming the norm in map protection. i know a lot of sites that support hacks like this for blizzard game users which annoys me a little.

Never_Quit

Reaction score
well.. gHost++ uses things called sha1's. I think it is similar to an MD5 sum..

I guess a plausible code would incorporate a sha1 encoder that would check itself, and then just not run any game code if it does not pass.
I don't think you can do this even with jass. Also, you would need access to the map file (I think Blizzard just removed with last patch).

Jinxx

Reaction score
old?
27-inch: 3.06GHz
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB memory
1TB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB

E-peen! :p

You're better off insulting a geek's girlfriend than saying he has a crappy computer (I know, I *am* a geek!). :D

Anyway, I'd like to know to what extent this map protector damaged your files. Did it just screw your save games, or other maps, or what? Also, are you sure you weren't running something else in the background that could've interfered with the WE opening, and thus crashing it?

As far as I'm concerned, I'm really against map protection. I think people should leave their maps open so others can learn from them. This way we wouldn't need to search for cracked versions of our favorite maps, just to see how a particular trigger or spells work. :mad:

WCGMapMaker

Reaction score
Nothing more then simply my saved files have all magically disappeared, did a search for em but they are gone, and no it doesnt restart my comp just locks it up, i hit restart myself.

my maps aren't protected :)

WCGMapMaker

Reaction score
I make them take the time, but my name is in the custom loading screen thank you to all who full fill those request of mine, and i figure they like the loading screen so even if they delete me my name will still be there somewhere so i don't care. If i had a map like dota, for the first versions id protect so original versions/release dates would be more for 100% sure but after that was secured then i would release unprotected versions out for everyone to use. i think its a really fair thing to do

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.