Tutorial Importing/Exporting Triggers

Zedzy

ℑΣÐℑΨ
Reaction score
Importing/Exporting Triggers

Introduction

Hello, and welcome to my first tutorial. This tutorial will show you the simple process of importing triggers from one map to another, such as triggers from a tutorial demo map to your own map. There are two basic ways to import and export triggers from one map to another. The first being to use the import and export features in the trigger editor, and the second which this tutorial will focus on, is good ol' copy and paste.

Difficulty: Very Easy
How This Tutorial Can Help: This tutorial will teach you
how to easily implement triggers from one map to another.

Step 1: Getting Started

First of all, open the map you want to use the triggers from. This tutorial will be using Tinki3's creep revival tutorial, that can be found here. Then open up the map you want your triggers imported to. Then to make sure that this works properly you have to make sure the variables come with the triggers. To do this, go to File - Preferences under the General tab, and check, "Automatically create unknown variables while pasting trigger data," if it is not checked already. Lastly go back to your first map, by going to window - Your First Map.

Easier_Switching.jpg

Switching Between Maps

Step 2: Copying the Triggers

First, open up the trigger editor found near the top of the World Editor. It's a yellow "a."

TriggerEditor.jpg

The Trigger Editor

Next, right click on any folder that you need, and copy it. Copying the folder will take any triggers that are inside. For now don't worry about any other folders.

Copy_Folder.jpg

Copy This

Step 2: Pasting the Triggers

Next, switch to the map you want the triggers to go in. Then open up the trigger editor again. Finally, right click on any of the triggers or trigger folders and paste the folder.

Paste_Folder.jpg

Pasting the Folder

Final Step: Rinse and Repeat

Repeat step 2 and 3 until all the of trigger folders are in your second map.

Your Finished Product
Done.jpg

Closing Comments

Congratulations! You should now have all your triggers successfully imported.

Warning: Preplaced objects (units, items, doodads, and cameras) will not come with the triggers. You will have to assign a different object to the trigger(s) that use that object.

FAQ

Q: Why not just export then import the triggers using the first method?

A: Though in some cases using the first method would be beneficial, it removes all the triggers you already had.

Q: Why does my trigger have a red triangle over it when I pasted it?

A: This means that one or more actions, conditions, or events in the trigger refer to a preplaced object.

More will be added as questions are asked.

Questions Welcome

Credits: Special Thanks to sjakie.

...___....___... ___........____..__........__
..|_...|.|. __|.| __ \.....|_....|.\...\..../.../
....././..|.|_ ...| |..|.|......././....\...\/.../
..././....|. _|...| |..|.|....././........\...../
././......|.|__..| |_.|.|..././_ .........|..|
|___|...|___|.|___ /....|___|........|__|

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
Kinda like what I said I gues. Small and easy, for an easy job, but very properly made.
EDIT: Ah, I got a special thanks, im flattered :D

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
You should advise in the tutorial for people to turn on the feature to automatically detect variable settings when pasting triggers. Saves alot of time.

Zedzy

ℑΣÐℑΨ
Reaction score
You should advise in the tutorial for people to turn on the feature to automatically detect variable settings when pasting triggers. Saves alot of time.

If what your saying is what I think your saying which it probably isn't, I already said it.

If there were any variables used in the triggers that you didn't already have, they were imported too!

If this isn't what your saying please elaborate.

Wow I said a form of said six times in that post!

Pender

Reaction score
There is a checkbox in map preferences that automatically creates all the relevant variables when you paste a trigger. If you have it unchecked, then all the triggers that you paste will be broken because they'll refer to variables that don't exist. Therefore, you should probably advise turning on that checkbox.

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
This is such an easy concept to grasp a tutorial is NOT required.

I assume every person know what copy + paste is.

Tutorial

1. In World Editor Preferances check the box saying "Create Unknown Variables"
2. Copy + Paste

I do appreciate the fact that your trying and effort has been put into this so +rep.

Zedzy

ℑΣÐℑΨ
Reaction score
This is such an easy concept to grasp a tutorial is NOT required.

I assume every person know what copy + paste is.

Tutorial

1. In World Editor Preferances check the box saying "Create Unknown Variables"
2. Copy + Paste

I do appreciate the fact that your trying and effort has been put into this so +rep.

asking for help and explaining map, and i dont need modelers i found models. i want someone to import spells i found on hiveworkshop and wc3campaigns onto my map, cuz i dont no how.

:rolleyes:

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Well this is basically a tutorial on how to copy and paste...

I don't see the point in this. :nuts:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.