WIP Instance - Black Temple

avalya

Reaction score
BlackTemple.png
General Information
In World of Warcraft, the Black Temple is a 25-man raid, or dungeon as more people might be familiar with, that was added in the first expansion of World of Warcraft, the Burning Crusade.
Raids consist of three roles, Tanks, Healers and DPS (damage dealers), by the names of it you can probably guess what they do, Tanks get enemies to attack them, Healers keep players alive and DPS stay out of trouble while dealing as much damage as possible to get enemies down.
The instance consists of 9 bosses and is the second hardest raid in the Burning Crusade, granting players Tier 6 gear, which was top notch back in those days.

Gameplay
My map will be pretty similar to Warchasers that I presume all of you have played at least once, with a lot of features added.
The map will be based for 7 players, but can be played with any amount of players from 5 to 10.
It will feature at least 20 different heroes, from the 10 different classes, (yes I am including death knights and I am not including talent specializations that are not as commonly used, such as frost mages or subtlety rogues) with 6 spells each, as well as two passives. Tanks will also have taunt to help them keep enemies attack them.
All spells have the same effects as in WoW and gain benefits from Spell Power, Strength, Agility or Block Value, depending on the spell and Hero.
A -coeff command will be added to see what, and how much of a stat every spell gains bonuses of.
The map features a custom stats such as critical strike chance, spell power, dodge, parry, block, block value and mana regeneration. Critical strikes work for both spells and melee attacks and deal double damage.

Recruitment
I'm looking for people that are experienced in the following categories;

Terrain - I need someone to create a convincingly looking Black Temple design, post at least 5 screenshots of your previous work.
Bosses - There is a spot for someone to code and work with bosses and their spells, can be either GUI or JASS, I will probably make the bosses and the one that is on this task will code their AI and spells.
Modeler or Skinner - This task is not necessary, but would be great to have, requires average skills in either modeling or skinning and post your previous work.

Myself? I'll be leading the project, doing heroes, triggering pretty much everything, create and balance items and fix everything else there is.

Thanks to 13lade619 for the new title text.
Post in this thread or send me a PM for any questions.

Edited to clarify for people that do not play World of Warcraft.

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
This sounds really fun. Consider adding "mini-quests" to your map as well to add more gameplay to it. I look forward to playing it :thup:.

avalya

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought of quests, with rewards such as items and consumables, as well as gold of course, and some even badges of justice (the lumber currency which is used to buy other items from shops in Shattrath). Everyone starts out at level 70, which is also the max level, and a save-load system will not be implemented, this is due to the fact that I have to balance bosses according to players that have average gear already, thus making the game almost impossible and not fun at all in the beginning, and way too easy for over-geared players.

I'm open for suggestions!

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
save-load system will not be implemented,
gameplay would be pretty much like WarChasers on RoC then..

a quick dungeon raiding game should be fun, but try not to make it too short.

and you should work well with the terrain to match WoW's vibrance.
(but i dont play WoW.. lol.)

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Hmm, I wouldn't want this to be short. Quite the opposite actually. It would be really cool if players were able to save their progress after every boss or so.

avalya

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to make the game last for roughly 1.5 hours or so, not too short and not too long. I'm definitely gonna make it as WoW-like as possible, including items (dodge/parry/block/crit/spellcrit/spellpower are already implemented and working properly), heroes, spells and terrain. So far it's pretty good, although my terrain hasn't came much further than Supremus (second boss).

The reason why I don't like a save/load system is because I'll have a pain balancing everything properly because the first bosses will be way too hard for beginning players and way too easy for fully geared players, which is not what I want. Warchasers was actually a game that I enjoyed a lot, I didn't think about it then, but now that you remind me, it will be pretty similar in the basics.

Funny enough, I don't even play WoW any more, but I got a pretty good memory of how Black Temple looks (I went there, a lot).

Any ideas are welcome.

Edit: Considering the saving part you posted Avaleirra, this map is mainly going to be made for play with my friends back in Sweden, when we're playing in LAN. If you play the same way, then the normal save function would work pretty good, making a saving system that saves after every boss would be pretty annoying, since every player has different loads and all that, and if it was only made for Red, and he loads up to Illidari Council (second last boss), with great items and stuff, and other people load their characters, some might start new ones, and they don't have the items required to take the boss down, since they haven't gotten items from previous bosses. It would also result in red not loading, and the rest of the players loading way overgeared characters.

Also, the reason why I'm in such a need of a terrainer is because I'm using a mac and I lack a lot of utilities that the PC has considering terraining -- I can't raise or lower doodads, I can't use angles, because shift-clicking does not work and so on.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but, though i know what WoW is and what its like, i dont know what the instance Black Temple is. Would you mind explaining on it for all those nerds who dont play WoW in here?
i would appreciate to leave a comment only if i know what i am talking about.

avalya

Reaction score
Just updated the main post for a lot more clarification, if there's anything else that is unclear, let me know.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
will players be able to choose between alliance and horde? races? weapon types?

avalya

Reaction score
Alliance and Horde are mixed, and so are races, there is one character of every class and spec. Weapon types as in rogues using two one handed weapons and warriors using two handers? I plan on balancing all items so ring and weapons would be equally potent, I do not wish for weapons to be overpowered and accessories to be weak.

Players will start with 1250 gold (subject to change) and can buy starting items (blue ones, the loot from bosses is epic) for roughly 500 gold a piece, as well as potions, bandages and other consumables.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don`t think it should be possible, or it should be amazingly hard, to win the dungeon on the first try without proper gear.

avalya

Reaction score
Well, you get gear eventually, winning on the first try would be pretty hard though, since you need to know all the tactics for the bosses, which could prove difficult if you're playing it for the first time. I might make difficulties as well, such as very easy (recommended for 5 players), easy (6 players) and so on, so new players might chose very easy to try it out and then go on to harder difficulties to get a proper challenge when they become better at the map.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
will there be any other teamplay aspects as doing the job of a healer / tank? like having someone be able to forge new items/repair damaged ones, brewing potions, crafting armors. like in regular WoW.
(though a dungeon run wouldnt be the best place to advance your crafting skills.)

or maybe have some nice traps or something which would require additional teamplay?

avalya

Reaction score
I'm considering to add some differences from the standard raid in WoW. People will be playing as a hero that is either a Healer, Tank or Damage Dealer if that is what you asked. Professions might be made, though, merchants will most likely be the actual craftsmen, and you bring materials to them. Potions, weapons and armor are all bought or found on enemies, and I will not have durability so that you would need to repair broken items.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you should have durability, I think you said you did, but I`m not sure.

avalya

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain I didn't say that, and it would be pretty hard to make, not to mention a real pain for the players. Durability in WoW is just annoying and not good for nothing except wasting peoples' money.

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hehe, if WoW's durability is like D&D's durability, you need to be using the right type of weapon. A piercing weapon like an axe or sword will break easily when fighting slimes whilst a hammer wouldn't even be dinted. And making a dirability system shouldn't be to hard, ask me for some help if you decide to impliment durability and need help making the system. As I have never played WoW, this could be a fun map to play. It will give me an experiece of WoW and maybe persuade me to play it but it should also be more fun and entertaining as its not as complicated. Good luck with this, I'll be waiting for the finished product.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.