Internet Freezing?

Metal425

Reaction score
Ok, I have a problem, lets say I try to download a file. Let's say the file is 20MB. My download will randomly stop, like the KB/sec won't move, and When it's stuck, I can't even load any page on the internet. It's like my internet froze, or something. Any advice? I have 3 Computers that have the same issue. But the one I'm on is the worse. I have a Notebook card, in my desktop.
But that is not the problem. It works fine ususually, it just the problem is my internet randomly stops working for maybe 5-50 seconds, and then works fine, and then happens again. Etc etc. I had an old Belkin Pre-n Router before with a pre-n wireless notebook card in it, running on my desktop that worked fine. But since I got the new router, it freezes. Any advice? Maybe I didn't configure something in my 192.168.2.1 configuration settings.

NOTE: Sorry for my bad grammar. I was in a rush to type this.

Andyoyo

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I used to have an ISP that would go out for 5 seconds once in a while. Some routers also have a security check that cancels incoming packages from the internet for about 5 seconds, & can run as often as every hour (very annoying :p) Wireless connection problems can be even worse. If you don't think it's either of those defrag your computer, delete all internet cookies & free up bandwidth space between the (you said three) computers, might even have to turn them off if you have to while DL. Firefox is pretty popular as well, but doesn't sound like its something wrong with browser.
I'm still a noob computer person, but not many questions are answered here

Metal425

Reaction score
It's not the ISP. My old router worked fine under the same ISP.
What about the security check?
How would I go along about fixing that?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
How often does it 'freeze'?

I had the same problem. At first it wouldn't let me play online for more than 20-30 minutes. Then it got worser that I didn't even play them anymore. Found out it was a phone line (not exactly sure what, but the phone would go dead too). So I replaced it with a new telephone line (not recommended), and it was fixed, for a while. Later on, I couldn't even go on the internet (browser) cause it would 'freeze' every 5 minutes. I called and they told me that someone probably messed the settings in the router or somewhere. They told me to reset everything and we did. Now it works great.

I believe that what happened is that ISPs don't like more than 1 computer online, depending on what service plan or w/e you have. We have 5 desktops, and 2 wireless laptops. Also, depending on how many are on at a time, internet might get slower.

I suggest turning off your modem and router for a bit, and back on. If the problem persists, you can call your ISP. Also, there's a little box (forgot what it's called) that's supposed to be connected to every telephone line.

Metal425

Reaction score
I just changed my security to WPA2 and everything is much faster. It only freezes when loading a youtube video or downloading something.

n[u]ll

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like when you use it heavily, it crashes. Make sure it's properly vented so it won't over-heat...

Try turning it off (unplug it) for around 30 seconds...

Also just try reinstalling it's firmware.

Metal425

Reaction score
Lol, null. I'm talking about my router. No, it's not overheating.. lol. I reinstalled it's F/W.
Thank god, that this wireless is temporary, and I'm getting a new ethernet cable tomorrow.

Metal425

Reaction score
I sorted it out. I found out it is a Modem, or ISP problem. (A line problem)
A guy is coming out tomorrow to inspect the line.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.