Is Wc3 still a good choice to land a massive project?

DoubleDraGoN

Reaction score
Hi, first off, I'm new to the forums, my name's Andy, greetings!

I have some great ideas for a puzzle/rpg map.....but the thing is..WC3 has been out for about 4 years now, I just don't want to be so far behind technology that my map won't have a crowd. The map will take 3-4 months to even reach beta stage.

All I'm asking you is: Is WC3 still a good place, and will still be a good place in 4 months to land a project? Should I wait for a Warcraft 4, if blizzard will make one?

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Its not about how much of a crowd your map gets. For me, if one person joins a hosted game, and says he/she likes my map, i feel full filled. sounds a bit cheesy, but for me its the truth.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Besides, theres still a huge crowd. Look at all the people that play dota. Sure, it's eating the face off the custom games list atm, but there are recently some signs of decay. eg, people on the allstars forums basically flaming Icefrog for being an idiot.

turok255

Reaction score
Its not about how much of a crowd your map gets. For me, if one person joins a hosted game, and says he/she likes my map, i feel full filled. sounds a bit cheesy, but for me its the truth.

I agree with you on the cheesy part lol, No offence

Yes its a good place.... Until blizzard comes out wirh Warcraft 4 (If there is one)

P

Peanuthead

How about you tell us what other games your considering to mod?

And remember, WarCraft III was ahead of the game in many ways to make up for its age. One of the ways, it is a 'Micro' RTS, designed for skirmishes and smaller gameplay then a game such as Supreme Commander, so the tech will be ahead of of any Mass RTS's released at that time.

For example, Shooters can have really good graphics and etc because they only have to manage a few objects at a time. Mass RTS's on the other hand have to handle thousands so everything suffers. Micro RTS's are the bridge inbetween.

Either way, it would be a good idea to get experience with how people react to your project. Just cause something seems great to you, does not mean the public will like it.

DoubleDraGoN

Reaction score
How about you tell us what other games your considering to mod?
/QUOTE]

I really have very little idea, java or flash would not work at all really. There seems to be very few games that have an editor built in anymore.
I just checked for a release date on Warcraft 4, they haven't even mentioned it yet, some people say it may come out in 3-4 years, or never at all. :nuts: I wonder what's in Blizzard's mind seriously

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
uberfoop said:
Besides, theres still a huge crowd. Look at all the people that play dota. Sure, it's eating the face off the custom games list atm, but there are recently some signs of decay. eg, people on the allstars forums basically flaming Icefrog for being an idiot.
That was about time. I've allways been a fan of dota, and in my opinion Icefrog is the worst thing that ever happened to the map. Back on topic, a major project will still be accepted and played (depending on the quality of the map of course) within the modding community, even after 4 months. That's at least what I think.

T

tto

People are still making and playing maps for Starcraft and Warcraft 3 is ages ahead of it, personally I'm mapping for both because of nostalgia in Starcraft's case and customisability in Warcraft3's case, I think Warcraft3 is still quite adequate for a project. Search the internet for 'Project Revolution' if you want to see what some are doing with Warcraft3.

I

IKilledKEnny

I suggest that if you creating a map to see it get played, don't make it. I make maps for the fun of programming them, not see them turn into the next DotA... Any just a tip, if you intrested you can enter to battlenet and see somwhere in the right how much players are playing at the moment (the number is only numbe of players in that server out of 5).

D

dadads

There's still a lot of potential that people can pull out WC3.
I think WC3 will still hold on for at least another year or two.
And that's also partly because it doesn't require crazy graphics or RAM.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> WC3 has been out for about 4 years now
So? Starcraft is even older and is still very popular.
Not to mention that, at least where I live, people still play CS 1.4/1.5 most of the time although newer incarnations are around.

> Should I wait for a Warcraft 4
ATM the chances for this to happen are the same as the chances of hell freezing. Although that might change, it's still a known fact that Blizzard is currently preoccupied with WoW to work on any other major projects such as WC4.

Either way you don't have much of a choice really...making a large project from scratch would cost you much more time and would require much more knowlege than doing it in warcraft.

Marrusian

Reaction score
Yes you can make a map because W3 will be played 1 year from now and maybe much more than 1 year. About Warcraft IV I don't heard anything but are some rumors that blizzard want to make something like World of Strarcraft (only rumors nothing official ...)

P

Peanuthead

World of Starcraft, lol, that would be embarassing to release in my opinion. Its obvious they would be just going for profit if they did that.

The next game they are going to release would most likely be another expansion for WoW or Starcraft II in my opinion. Its possible they would forget diablo and starcraft due to warcraft's popularity, and go with a Warcraft IV instead but I don't think so, its never a good idea to put all eggs in one basket especially how much they have been overusing the warcraft series. People are gonna be sick of Warcraft soon.

But really, don't wait for a Warcraft IV. Don't expect it.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can. 2 years ago people were saying war3 would end in a year or two, maximum. Look now, imo it has the same popularity as before, and will probably last 4 more years before starting to tone down (not vanish). Slowly, it will become what Starcraft is at the moment, but it will take years.

Yes, you can :)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> something like World of Strarcraft
Wouldn't Starcraft: Ghost be almost the same?
Although canceled its never too late for blizzard to continue the project...but they probably wont, at least not anytime soon.

> they would forget diablo
Oh but they haven't. The Burning Crusade expansion for WoW makes it look like diablo even more, adding socketed items and some other stuff. WoW obviously grew intro both Diablo III and Warcraft IV. This doesn't make those games impossible to come out, but greatly delays them which isn't good either...

> People are gonna be sick of Warcraft soon.
Again the chances for this to happen are the same as the chances of hell freezing.
And even if they do...new people will come.
New expansions, with new stuff, will come out.

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
Warcraft 3 stills a good choice to land a massive project, and so does Starcraft (StarEdit instead of WE :p).

3-4 months to reach beta-stage, that's too short. I've made up mass projects at same times and WE deleted all those, so I'm only doing all in a single project now.

4 months? It's not enough to land a project. You will need really more time. But after 1 or 2 years, you will be able to do on some seconds things you do on some minutes, so you have a chance to half at least the mapping time you thought.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
>"Wouldn't Starcraft: Ghost be almost the same?"

No, Starcraft Ghost is an action adventure. AFAIK Blizzard "freezed" it to release it later on the new generation consoles.
Was a good decision IMO, I played a bit of the singleplayer part once and it was not THAT (Blizzard quality) good.

And yeah, I doubt that there will be a major change of Warcraft players in the near future. A big "drop" will probably come when Blizzard releases a new game, but that's another story. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.