Politics Japan's Kishida says U.S. not alone in upholding world order

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida addresses a joint meeting of the U.S. Congress in Washington on April 11. © Reuters
KEN MORIYASU, Nikkei Asia diplomatic correspondent April 12, 2024 00:48 JST

WASHINGTON -- Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told U.S. legislators Thursday that Washington does not have to single-handedly shoulder the responsibility of upholding the international order -- and that Japan is ready to be a "shipmate" in that endeavor.

"I detect an undercurrent of self-doubt among some Americans about what your role in the world should be," the 66-year-old leader said in a speech to a joint session of Congress, which he delivered in English.

"This self-doubt is arising at a time when our world is at history's turning point. The post-Cold War era is already behind us, and we are now at an inflection point that will define the next stage of human history," he said.

The international order that the U.S. worked for generations to build is facing new challenges from those with values and principles very different from the U.S. and Japan, he said, pointing to China, Russia and North Korea.

"I want to address those Americans who feel the loneliness and exhaustion of being the country that has upheld the international order almost single-handedly. I understand it is a heavy burden to carry such hopes on your shoulders," he said.

"The U.S. should not be expected to do it all, unaided and on your own," he said.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Look at Japan talking some smack! Like they are going to do something, I keep waiting for them to unleash Godzilla! LOL!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.