Korolen MiniMap Maker

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
I decided to make a post about a useful script. Korolen wrote this script in Python a while ago. It extracts the data from the war3map.w3e and creates a custom minimap. Here are his two main posts about it:
Korolen said:
lol, sure. You still have to use an MPQ application to extract the war3map.w3e, and one to insert the new minimap (Athough you can do that with the Import Manager).

NOTE: It is written in Python, a lesser known language, so you probablly won't be able to read it, if not run it. The script uses Pygame to display the image, a compleatly unecesary step, but it helped me create the script. You will have to get that library, or remove all the pygame stuff from the script, to use it.

'Ya know, this is kinda off-topic for this thread... To bad I don't have privaliges to split it... w/e.

EDIT: Oh, ya, I forgot to mention: I made the water show up as green, 'cuz it's acid in my map =p. Ya, it's kinda ugly, but you can modify it in all the ways, and it takes everything the WE takes. (Acually, I think the detail is skrewed up)

EDITEDIT: Oh, and one last thing: The code suxxorz. It is as slow as hell, and isn't very readable. I made it to genorate a minimap, not to show off to other people, so it isn't very good.

ANYWAY, the .py file should be attached, for viewing from all.

Korolen said:
OK, less brevity this time.

First, create an image, and do whatever you want to it. I made a Python script, that genorates a GOOD minimap, you could use that as a start. Find the script here.

After you get a good 256x256 minimap, save it to a TaRgA file (*.tga). If you havn't already downloaded it, get the Warcraft3Viewer program. Open it, and click the "TGA > BLP" button on the toolbar. Load up your .tga, and save it as a .blp. You can select your quality.

Once you have your .blp minimap file, you can implement it into the map in two ways:
Use WinMPQ, and remove "war3mapMap.blp" from the map. Then add your minimap, and rename it to "war3mapMap.blp". Note that if you save the map in the World Editor, your minimap will be replaced with the default minimap that the WE genorates.
I don't know if way two works, but I am pretty sure that it will make your filesize a bit bigger then way one, if it does work. Anywho, you import your file into the Import Manager, and set it's custom path to "war3mapMap.blp".

You can also import a .tga file, like in way two, and set it's path to "war3mapPreview.tga" (Correct me if I'm wrong about that path), to set the preview image. This image shows up when you are browsing through maps, when you have hosted the map, and when the map is loading.

Hope this helps!
--Korolen [^ Check out my sweet avatar ^]
And the link to the script: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3795

I'd just like everyone to know about the useful tool, and I'm working on a version thats lets you choose paths with out editing the .py and maybe even one without needing pygame. My final goal would be an .exe/.app.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.