Laptop fan problem?

Whisky

Reaction score
I have some years old IBM t41 laptop that has started acting oddly; If I move the laptop or press any button, the screen goes dark and CPU's performance seems to drop to near zero, since any music I'm listening while screen has a blackout starts to repeat just one part.

The funny thing is that these problems only occur when the laptop has got warm enouh. If it has been off for sometime and cooled down, I can shake the laptop, spin it around, bend the screen or press all the buttons on my computer without anything actually happening, but if I let it be on for some time, even the slightest touch can make it die.

If I let the computer be on for sometime, it may reboot by itself. That may also happen instead of the screen-going-black if I'm just opening folders or checking BIOS.

Sometimes when I start my computer, it gives me "fan error" and couple of loud beebs. I opened the case and cleaned the fan, but that didn't help at all.

While I cleaned the fan, I found out that some white, gluelike stuff between the fan and processor had melted almost entirely away, and it wasn't anymore at the place it used to be. What is the purpose of that stuff and can it cause the problems?

Thanks for any help,
Whisky

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Ats most likely thernal paste. It assists the transfer of heat from the CPU to heatsink. You can buy some and clean the cpu and heatsink then apply fresh thermal paste. (watch a youtube video on how to do this)

Whisky

Reaction score
Thermal paste didn't help at all..

Maybe it's just easier to buy new laptop.

Thanks though :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.