larger than "large" map sizes

U

Unregistered

I think I've opened up a map before with dimensions of 256x256. Under map size description it said: epic (instead of large). I think the file was Kaggz RPG, but then again, this was a long time ago.

I'm about to make a really big RPG, and will be needing a huge map (whereas World Editor just makes 192x192 the biggest). Does anyone know how change this? (via program? hack?)

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
extract ui\worldeditdata.txt from war3.mpq. Stick this file in the directory 'ui' in your war3 folder.

Find the category [WorldEditMisc], look for MaximumMapSize, and change it to 256. Restart the editor.

Bomook

Reaction score
say... you wouldn't know where the .mpq reading program is would you? I've been looking everwhere for it but can't seem to find it...

Bomook

Reaction score
altering maximum "allowed" map size

I've started creating a 256 x 256 map, and just noticed now that I can't save anything associated with the map description, map size, or loading screen, as when I save it says "your map size is 65536 and the largest allowed is 36854" and doesn't let me alter the description

I've made the basic triggers and most of the units and a lot of the terrain already, so now I'm stuck with a great map called "just another wciii map".

is there a setting in the war3.mpq to alter this? (I've searched already with no luck) or is there some other way to alter the map description in an "external" manner?

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll have a go at creating a 256x256 map and get back to you soon.

Bomook

Reaction score
okay, never mind about that. I found a way around the problem.

I just decided to start over (triggers can be saved anyway).
the terrain and units aren't a huge loss and are acceptable.

in the ui/WorldEditGameStrings.txt file in war3.mpq, I just altered the appropriate fields to turn the default map description into the map description I wanted to have. This way, I could create a new map, and have the appropriate descriptions I wanted without changing anything in the World Editor itself.

The downside to this is the lack of customization in the load screen, but oh well, it's an acceptable loss (at least the default loading screen is better than an epic RPG titled "just another wciii map" :) )

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Actually I have a question for you. I just tried implementing my suggestion, and I couldn't get it to work! :(

I can't get 256x256, when I select 256, the max i can get for the other value is 128. So how did you manage to get 256x256 maps?

Bomook

Reaction score
ah, that originally happened to me too, so what I did was change default map size to 256,256.

just note that it's a good idea to have a shortcut to your map somewhere, so when you want to edit your map, you can just click on it instead of having to wait 20 minutes for the pathing map to load for a generic dirt map and then have to do it again to load your actual map. :p

p.s. you can actually get maps that are larger than 256 x 256 this way, but unless you have that new $300 Radeon 9700 All-In-Wonder Pro, it's going to take literally 1-2 minutes alone to create the pathing map for say, a 512 x 512 map. Also, when trying to modify the tileset for anything bigger than 256x256, it takes a loooong time to load. Just because there's no status bar doesn't mean it's not loading (I figured out the hard way), this too actually takes 2-3 minutes.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah actually i just thought of doing that then, and it worked for me as well.

Remember you can disable the editor loading up a blank map on startup.

File -> preferences -> general -> uncheck 'create a new map on start-up'

Bomook

Reaction score
ooh nifty... I sure didn't know about that :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.