Leaks? How severe is one?

Xonora

Reaction score
How much leakage can be permitted before your game can actually lag badly. Say we take a duration of an average dota game. 60 mins. How much leak can be acceptable?

bYo

Reaction score
Well, ideally just try and eliminate any leaks when you make the triggers...

Realistically it all depends on several factors.

1) What triggers are leaking - a unit group of 3 units will leak less than one of 300 units.
2) Your and everyone else's processor model - sure you might be fine but what about the guy playing on the Pentium 2?
3) How much lag do you want - for me, the answer is...well..none?

Leaks remind me of cleaning. Its not necessary but who wants to live in a house filled with cobwebs and dust?

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
It would probably be best not to have any leaks. But I would say a few small ones would be permittable.

canons200

Reaction score
actually, it depend on your pc performance. If your pc has better performace, that is, even few hundred of leak, won't lag you.

But of course, as Avaleirra said, it is best not to have any leaks.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
you just have to keep in mind. you have limited memory, each point, group, special effect, whatever you create will take a bit of it. the more memory your computer lost by leaks the less it can use to play the game.
there are that many factors which influence the performance that you can not certainly say "how many leaks are fine". there are games without a lot of AI, pathfinding, units, and other stuff which can take thousands of point leaks without suffering any performance while other games with systems which have a lot to calculate will suffer from any leak you do.

and besides, its not that hard to eliminate memory leaks, just do it.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
realistically it's the ones that add up fast that matter, as in those that will occur often - such as periodic effects or from frequently cast spells that have lots of leaks, but as the above said, it's better to just have none or as few as possible

Chaos_Knight

Reaction score
I actually had a problem with a "Every 0.27 seconds of game time" group leak. It was lagging after 5 seconds. And after 20 seconds, you couldnt move your mouse because of the Lag.

So do like Avaleirra said. Dont Leak. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.