Legal Age of Consent

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabbig2

Reaction score
Sex needs to be explained. Not shunned.

In Florida if you're 16 or 17, you can have sex with anyone up to the age of 23.

Code:
    * age of consent 16: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia
    * age of consent 17: Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Texas
    * age of consent 18: Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, North Dakota, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

OH interesting. I'd think that the legal age of consent would be a federal law, guess not.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
It is not. In Washington (state), it's 16. No limits unless you're screwing a foster parent, a teacher or a mentor.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It's 14 in some states. 12 if you're outside the country and the difference is less than 4 years. Not sure how you can convict someone of that one but... whatever.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
And I don't want to hear "they shouldn't have sex because they're not smart/emotionally mature enough", because you can't expect these dumb immature kids to practice abstinence either.

Statistics prove that teens are having more sex despite the efforts to provide safe-sex education. Our public high used to give out free condoms. The pregnancies rose sharply. Many parents became angry and the free condoms went away.

Unfortunately, teenager’s sexual activity has increased since 2001 according to the U.S. CDC and the use of condoms has declined slightly, based on a survey of high school students. Teenage pregnancies rose for the first time in 15 years in 2006, according to a report released in July that was gathered and released by 22 U.S. agencies.

http://www.healthnews.com/family-he...dicator-that-teens-will-abstain-sex-2358.html

Prometheus

Reaction score
If you're stupid enough to have a kid in your early-mid teens, then nothing will prevent that.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
If you're stupid enough to have a kid in your early-mid teens, then nothing will prevent that.

I disagree. Better education should take care of this. We should teach kids that sex is part of life, yet we should tell them that reproduction is the consequence. Some children do not choose to have a child. They just end up having one because their condom broke or they didn't use one. Unbiased statics and view points should be merged. Many explanations to why childhood sex is immoral in all cultures should also be presented to students.

I believe all people are interested in philosophy and opinion. This aspect will have them debating and fascinated in the idea of safe-sex. Some may even consider staying above the pleasures of sex until they're in a stable relationship, good for them.

Life just gets more complicated until it's eradicated and reborn.

Prometheus

Reaction score
I just don't see the ignorance that everone's talking about, as a highschooler myself.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I just don't see the ignorance that everone's talking about, as a highschooler myself.

Maybe your school is one of the few that are doing fine. Hopefully your teachers will be able to maintain this result. We've had too many pregnancies in my town.

Prometheus

Reaction score
No, my school has a daycare for people with kids and wanting to complete HS. Just if you talk to them, most knew what they were getting into when they decided to not use a condom.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
ninva, i am in highschool, and they, no joke, only told us to not have sex.

they didn't tell us anything else.

theyr sole purpose is to push their religous agenda on students. thats it really.

they don't teach about the pill, female condoms, male condoms, emergency contraceptives, or anything.

they explained aids, and herpes, and thats it.

i mean jesus man, you can say they "teach students and its not working" but they are teaching abstenince, not protection.

now, handing out condoms is a pretty off, parents would get mad, etc etc, and if the aim is to protect them, thats just going to encourage them to do it more frequintly and thus run out of condoms.

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
I will continue writing my congressmen until the legal age of consent is 2.

I can't wait for this shit.

It's gonna be great.

But on a more ceral note:

The age of consent is fine were its at.

The law acts as a deterrent even if it not enforced.

By having consent laws from 16-18, a social norm is developed.

And, really, what good could possibly come from a 15yr. old having sex?

That age bracket is notoriously short-sighted.

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Where I live (Canada) it's 18. You're allowed to have it before with parental consent.

I'm still a virgin though... (16)

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Where I live (Canada) it's 18. You're allowed to have it before with parental consent.

I'm still a virgin though... (16)

TMI dude TMI.

Canada's Laws said:
The Criminal Code does not now criminalize consensual sexual activity with or between persons 14 or over, unless it takes place in a relationship of trust or dependency, in which case sexual activity with persons over 14 but under 18 can constitute an offence, notwithstanding their consent. Even consensual activity with those under 14 but over 12 may not be an offence if the accused is under 16 and less than two years older than the complainant. The exception, of course, is anal intercourse, to which unmarried persons under 18 cannot legally consent, although both the Ontario Court of Appeal(3) and the Quebec Court of Appeal(4) have struck down the relevant section of the Criminal Code.

Actually it's 14. Unless your having anal sex 0_o.

I can kind of see why, but still, who are you going to tell.

On topic:

It really should be raised to 16, 14 seems really, really young.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
The Age of Consent was 14 When the Liberals were in power,

but when the conservatives took over it was raised to 16. The AoC in Canada is 16 right now.

And Luckily, Canadian School system (At least from my experiences) teaches safe sex, none of that 'Abstinence only!" Bull crap people are fed... unless your in the catholic school board.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The Age of Consent was 14 When the Liberals were in power,

but when the conservatives took over it was raised to 16. The AoC in Canada is 16 right now.

And Luckily, Canadian School system (At least from my experiences) teaches safe sex, none of that 'Abstinence only!" Bull crap people are fed... unless your in the catholic school board.

Oh, huh. I guess I found something rather outdated.

Yeah, I've found that our schools seem to have a the safe sex thing rather figured out.

Oh BTW Abstinence is on 99.999% effective.

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with this issue is people saying "sex is immoral outside marriage." We have such a skewed view of sex and people shouldn't be so ashamed to talk about it. There is nothing wrong with two people "fornicating" as long as both are consenting. The idea that sex is some magical religious rite reserved for two people who have signed a marriage license is absurd. Sex is a natural animalistic urge, its healthy and normal to give into it (usually).

As far as an age of consent, 16 sounds about right to me. Then again, there's always room for discussion. Obviously, if both are underage the law can' touch the issue (to a reasonable extent). It's no one's business if two fifteen year olds are bumping uglies in the broom closet. Is it smart? At that age, probably not, but it's not for others to decide. People want to have sex. As long as no one is getting raped and no one is taking advantage of someone much younger/immature, then I say go for it. You run the risk of pregnancy/stds, but that's what the pill and condoms are for.

Proper protection goes a long way, people just need to be more careful. Condoms are reliable, and despite what the religious propagandists would have you believe, they are usually effective when used correctly.

Oh BTW Abstinence is on 99.999% effective.
And 100% boring.

In conclusion:

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.
haha.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.