Lots Of Errors

B

bloah

PC Specs
Ram: 512mb
What else just ask…

Hmm... Lately I've come across a few annoying buggy errors, not sure if any of them are related but they sure maybe. The three have to do with the video games I play on my computer, Warcraft 3 TFT (CD reading errors), Counter-Strike (steam problems), and installing games and game patches.

For WC3 (and TFT) I get the error that says “Please verify that your Warcraft II disc, yeah yeah yeah, then click on ‘Retry’.” It’s the error you would get if you try to run WC3 without a cd basically. The funny thing is, I use the retail version of WC3 and my CD rom drive works perfectly with any other program or game, but for some reason it still gives me this error. I’ve tried to clean the CD a bit but same thing, bit strange.

For Counter-Strike I get this.

steamerror.bmp

Many people at the SteamPowered forums suggest that it’s an error with the C++ script or something the rather that only Steam can really fix. Other people say it’s a virus and after they have ran a virus scanner and removed the virus, their Steam worked. So maybe I have a virus which is causing all these problems?

Lastly, whenever I try to install things (using CD’s or downloaded patches), I often get this I/O error.

io.bmp

It automatically closes the installation so I can’t install a lot of stuff I want to (mainly games though… for some reason).

So if anyone else has experience with these problems or knows how to fix them help is greatly appreciated. I thought it was a virus at first, as suggest from some other people but it’s happening on both my hardrives which I reformatted both.

((sorry for the BMP. Images, can’t save as JPG for some reason))

::Edited:: Forgot one more error I get.

c++.bmp

I get that very often now, (especially while surfing the Althanas RP forums) but it’s anther C++ error so I posted it… And one last thing is I have updated my windows to current updates after reformatting just BTW.

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
Did all these errors start out of the blue, all at the same time? I'm not sure what would cause them, but something is corrupted for sure. Did you always have troubles booting Warcraft III, or did the CD-Rom read errors come along with the runtime/C++ errors?

B

bloah

Yes, most errors occured about the same time (at least a week in distance when they all started occuring). Currently I'm trying to use the step by step guide which Chile posted in the WC section, which seems to be running well so far and I hope it works. Anything else, I'm not sure about.

:edit: no I didnt always have troubles runnin WC, not till the other errors started happening.

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
Have you tried taking the memory to under 512mb? Or have you tried replacing the memory? Windows 98 isn't really designed to deal with over 511mb of memory, so while it will run with 512, stability issues start occuring after some period of time since Windows loads drivers from the front of memory going back and programs from the back of memory going forward. When this happens, there is a gap that ends up being there and Windows tends to get confused and starts generating errors in applications. You may start off with trying to drop the memory to 256 or 384 too rule out that being the problem as well as to rule out it being a bad stick of memory (yes, they do tend to spontaneously go bad sometimes).

Logical_1

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.