Maelstorm Ability possible?

SayNoToWar

Reaction score
Maelstrom ability possible?

Ayeaye the-helper community,

I am maker of Battleships Crossfire (bs cf) since some years and got a problem with an ability:

The Maelstrom ability of the Seawaver in the current version has a buggy & laggy gui code which is not really working if two people cast it at once (download bs cf 4.31: wc3files.de -> downloads; the 14k shipshop).

I tryed to make it look a bit like a maelstrom.

The main problem is that currently I create 72 waterfalls (destructables) in a spiral around the caster faceing the caster and then move nearby ships towards the center.:nuts:

The moving towards the center is not the problem, I made it alot better. Although I think some pros would advice me to make it with timers its made by a script beeing run every 0,1s which disables itself if its not needed anymore (It can work even with many castings at once).

Anyone got any idea how to make such a maelstrom look nice without massive lags? Or do you say I would need to get a special model for it?

At this time I see no way for it and will maybe have to remove it for the next version... :banghead:
Of course the random names of the Seawaver would be changed those who helped. :)
Want to see my crappy gui code?

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
Reduce number of waterfalls? And rather make them look larger by default?

>>Want to see my crappy gui code?
You bet.

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
72 destructables aren't THAT much but it could help to remove some. Depending on the circle's size, 18 or 36 should do the trick. But yeah post the trigger.

SayNoToWar

Reaction score
72 destructables aren't THAT much but it could help to remove some. Depending on the circle's size, 18 or 36 should do the trick. But yeah post the trigger.

Well I think 72 are already too few xD
but yes I guess you are right, I should just strech them a bit.
thanks

edit: trigger source in english comes soon, sry

SayNoToWar

Reaction score
But to stretch them I need to make them as units or is there any way to create a streched destructable?

Gtam

Lerning how to write and read!! Yeah.
Reaction score
Go to ur triger events above it is ur triger name right click on it and say copy as text then in ur post here click on that yellow a the right click between it and paste

Gtam

Lerning how to write and read!! Yeah.
Reaction score
Yes and dont take a pic and attach it do what i said.

SayNoToWar

Reaction score
y sorry I forgot about that xD

One general question: What causes more lags: destructables or units? or is it only the model that makes the difference?

SayNoToWar

Reaction score
ok, here it is:

Trigger Maelstrom (triggered by ability use):
Code:
For each (Integer A) from 1 to 72, do (Actions)
    Loop - Actions
        Set t[SPOILER][/SPOILER]emppunkt = ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (((0.00 - (Real((Integer A)))) + 36.00) x 12.00) towards ((Real((Integer A))) x 20.00) degrees)
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                (Terrain pathing at temppunkt of type Walkability is off) Equal to True
                (Terrain pathing at temppunkt of type Amphibious Pathing is off) Equal to False
            Then - Actions
                Destructible - Create a Maelstorm Wasserfall at temppunkt facing (Angle from temppunkt to (Position of (Casting unit))) with scale ((0.01 x (Real((Integer A)))) x 1.05) and variation 0
                Set maelstormdoodad[(Integer A)] = (Last created destructible)
            Else - Actions

Set Maelstormpunkt[(Player number of (Owner of (Casting unit)))] = (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))

Set maelstorm_running[(Integer A)] = ((Level of Maelstorm  for (Casting unit)) x 15)

Trigger - Turn on maelstrom mover <gen>

Wait ((Real((Level of Maelstorm  for (Casting unit)))) x 1.50) seconds

For each (Integer A) from 1 to 73, do (Actions)
    Loop - Actions
        Destructible - Remove maelstormdoodad[(Integer A)]

Trigger Maelstrom mover (runs every 0,1 s):
Code:
For each (Integer A) from 1 to 13, do (Actions)
    Loop - Actions
            If - Conditions
                maelstorm_running[(Integer A)] Greater than 0
            Then - Actions
                Set maelstorm_running[(Integer A)] = (maelstorm_running[(Integer A)] - 1)
                Set maelstorm_tempgroup = (Units in (Region centered at Maelstormpunkt[(Integer A)] with size (1000.00, 1000.00)))
                Unit Group - Pick every unit in maelstorm_tempgroup and do (Actions)
                    Loop - Actions
                            If - Conditions
                                (Picked unit) Not equal to (Casting unit)
                                ((Picked unit) is A structure) Equal to False
                            Then - Actions
                                Set temppunkt = ((Position of (Picked unit)) offset by 10.00 towards (Angle from (Position of (Picked unit)) to Maelstormpunkt[(Integer A)]) degrees)
                                    If - Conditions
                                        (Terrain pathing at temppunkt of type Walkability is off) Equal to True
                                        (Terrain pathing at temppunkt of type Amphibious Pathing is off) Equal to False
                                    Then - Actions
                                        Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to temppunkt, facing ((Angle from (Position of (Picked unit)) to Maelstormpunkt[(Integer A)]) + 0.00) degrees
                                    Else - Actions
                                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_temppunkt)
                            Else - Actions
            Else - Actions
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_Maelstormpunkt[GetForLoopIndexA()])
                    If - Conditions
                        And - All (Conditions) are true
                            Conditions
                                maelstorm_running[2] Equal to 0
                                maelstorm_running[3] Equal to 0
                                maelstorm_running[4] Equal to 0
                                maelstorm_running[5] Equal to 0
                                maelstorm_running[6] Equal to 0
                                maelstorm_running[7] Equal to 0
                                maelstorm_running[8] Equal to 0
                                maelstorm_running[9] Equal to 0
                                maelstorm_running[10] Equal to 0
                                maelstorm_running[11] Equal to 0
                                maelstorm_running[12] Equal to 0
                    Then - Actions
                        Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
                    Else - Actions

SayNoToWar

Reaction score
Solution

Thanks for your time ppls, I found a solution: I change the textures of the flamestriketarget.mdx to make it look a bit like waves :).
I ll post the link here when its completely finished.
thx

SayNoToWar

Reaction score
Closing posting, Maelstrom model

Here is my maelstrom model as used in Battleships Crossfire. HF with it, if anyone needs it. ;)

Attachments

• maelstrom.jpg
    maelstrom.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Maelstrom 1.0.zip
    25.1 KB · Views: 101

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
Well I think 72 are already too few xD
but yes I guess you are right, I should just strech them a bit.
thanks

edit: trigger source in english comes soon, sry

generally for circles around a unit, 4 units are required for each 50 distance away from the hero. For example, if you wanted waterfalls a distance of 50, 100, 150 and 200, you would need 40, assuming you wanted them every 50. But generally creating a special effect every 100 distance away from the hero is fine, so you'd want them at 50, 150 and 250. To determine the angle apart you need each one to be spaced for an even circle, divide 360 by the number of units in the circle. For example, for a distance of 100 you'd have a circle of 8 units, and they'd be placed every 45 (360/8) degrees. And it seems like this spell would be hard to have for multiple nearby castings no matter what, because if a unit was under the effect of 2 maelstroms, they'd both be pulling the hero towards it, unless you used unit groups or something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.