Make Launch Missile effect originate from Weapon

Reaction score
So, I took a ghost and I replaced his weapon's effect, Ghost - Damage, with a new effect I created, Ghost - Launch Missile.

This way, when the ghost attacks, he actually has a visible bullet. However, this visible bullet is originating from his Center attachment point instead of his Weapon attachment point. How would I fix this?

I've attached a test map for your convenience.

Attachments

• ghostTest.zip
    7 KB · Views: 306

Advice D.

Reaction score
Ah yes, this is one of the things that caused me a lot of grief when copying units. It involves an actor for the weapon and hostsites or something. I can't remember the actual procedure so I'll play around with it.

waynebebay

Reaction score
this has been bothering the shit out of me too. I have played with this for countless hours trying to perfect it and I can't seem to find the right field to edit.

Pragm4

Reaction score
I have your answer. Took me the whole day to figure it out. In your map, go to Actors->Ghost Attack. In the Ghost Attack field, there is a Missile field. Currently it should be something like GhostAttackMissile. Now, you need to manually change it (yeah, this is the hard part) to BattlecruiserGroundAttackMissile.

Why that you ask? Because it needs to match the missile actor. If that field does not match, the attach point defaults to the center field, as you have experienced.

To find the name of the actor, go to the missile actor (Battlecruiser Ground Attack Missile), go to the field that says Editor name, and double click on the value. This brings up a window with the editor name for the actor, and right above it, the ACTUAL name of the actor. This is what you want and sometimes it is different from the editor name especially if the actor is a copy. After that, voila! No more ground hugging projectiles.

Btw, I believe it is a good habit to make duplicates of the things you modify (although it is easy to make things more complicated).

Reaction score
I have your answer. Took me the whole day to figure it out. In your map, go to Actors->Ghost Attack. In the Ghost Attack field, there is a Missile field. Currently it should be something like GhostAttackMissile. Now, you need to manually change it (yeah, this is the hard part) to BattlecruiserGroundAttackMissile.

Why that you ask? Because it needs to match the missile actor. If that field does not match, the attach point defaults to the center field, as you have experienced.

To find the name of the actor, go to the missile actor (Battlecruiser Ground Attack Missile), go to the field that says Editor name, and double click on the value. This brings up a window with the editor name for the actor, and right above it, the ACTUAL name of the actor. This is what you want and sometimes it is different from the editor name especially if the actor is a copy. After that, voila! No more ground hugging projectiles.

Btw, I believe it is a good habit to make duplicates of the things you modify (although it is easy to make things more complicated).

:eek:

Thank you so much, Pragm4!
I imagine it must have been quite a journey dissecting all the fields until finding this one.

So, in summary, Unit -> Actor -> Missile Field must match the ID of Unit -> Effect -> Launch Missile -> Ammo Unit -> Actor

I suppose this allows the Ammo Unit -> Actor -> Host fields to actually link with the Ghost attachment points via the Implicit Inheritance mechanism.

Thanks again, I swear I would've never figured this one out on my own.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
It looks like you copied the effect so you have two effects, yours and the original, referencing the same object. Also, if you are creating a bullet wouldnt you need a projectile?

If you have an action type actor, you can set the attachment point under Launch Attachment Query and Launch Attachment Assets.

EDIT: Oh I see, you just want an effect.

Reaction score
It looks like you copied the effect so you have two effects, yours and the original, referencing the same object. Also, if you are creating a bullet wouldnt you need a projectile?

If you have an action type actor, you can set the attachment point under Launch Attachment Query and Launch Attachment Assets.

EDIT: Oh I see, you just want an effect.

The Launch Missile effect creates the projectile unit specified in the Data - Ammo Unit field. The Ghost attack's actor Launch Attachment's fields are good for displaying the local ghost fire effect that comes out of his gun, but for the Battlecruiser Bullet unit to actually access these fields, it needs to have the missile ID matched as Pragm4 suggested above. That is my take, at least.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.