many little maps in my map - victory/defeat issues, vamp aura not working.

gaskell

Reaction score
That should say "issues in my map" - typo

First up vampiric aura:
I have this given to a building via a trigger. Every other aura works when this happens but not vampiric aura.
The idea is for this aura to affect all the players units on the map. Worked easily with the other auras I used - even the one I made up. Maxed the range and applied to a hidden unit in the centre on the map.
For some reason it will not apply to my units.
Any ideas?
Could the reason be the units are ranged? Does vampiric aura work for range? if not can it be altered to work with ranged?

gaskell

Reaction score
that explains a lot.
is there a way i can make it work for range? or is there an aura for range that does the same? or maybe I could try and make an ability myself based on a similar one?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
you could use the mask of death (item) ability. it does absorb 50% of damage dealt by default and should work for ranged units as well cause i doubt blizzard would make an item which only works for melee heroes.

gaskell

Reaction score
ok so how can i make that an aura?
this needs to be applied to all units even when new units are spawned but dependant on level of ability if available.
if you get what i mean.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
ok so how can i make that an aura?
this needs to be applied to all units even when new units are spawned but dependant on level of ability if available.
if you get what i mean.

First of all, if you want vampiric aura to work for ranged you have to trigger it. I have no idea how to input "X% of damage done back in health" because I still don't know how to check for the damage of the unit.

But I can give you the idea, its really simple. I'm guessing you want it on attack. Please note that GUI version of this will fire when the unit starts to attack, no projectile or missile has to hit the target. If you like this, then this is the idea:

Check for attacking unit to have the buff Vampiric Aura gives. You can make the same aura to apply for melee units like 10/15/20% of damage done into health but for ranged you can make like 10/15/20 health restored on attack. Once again if you know how to check for damage done, then its easy to pinpoint some percent of the damage.

Trigger:
  • Vampiric Aura
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Triggering unit) has buff Vampiric Aura) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set life of (Triggering unit) to ((Life of (Triggering unit)) + (10.00 x (Real((Level of Vampiric Aura for (Triggering unit))))))
        • Else - Actions

This is just a rough trigger to show you the idea.

- First you'd have to check for the building or whatever that has Vampiric Aura for the level of the aura in order to have your ranged units get healed for some amount * the level of ability.

- Second I don't think ranged units get the buff from Vampiric Aura so if you want ranged units to be healed, you will have to use another aura for a dummy aura and configure the ability for melee units as well.

So overall you can create a dummy aura for Devotion Aura example and apply the above trigger. Then select the building having the Vampiric Aura so you can check the level. And it should work.

gaskell

Reaction score
I can see what you mean altho checking ti see if the attacked unit has vampiric aura, I think you meant attacking unit. But the problem is that the aura is not applying to the unit at all as the units are ranged so its not that the buff doesn't work its that the buff isn't being applied. So if I check if a unit has buff, they wont.

As an after thought is there a way I can tag the unit as melee but keeps its attack range or is the melee/ranged dependant on the range setting? even if it chanegd the anim or whateva. If it is dependant on the number entered into the range, then there must be somewhere in the game settings that could alter that. I've looked thru the gameplay constants but couldn't find anything.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
I can see what you mean altho checking ti see if the attacked unit has vampiric aura, I think you meant attacking unit. But the problem is that the aura is not applying to the unit at all as the units are ranged so its not that the buff doesn't work its that the buff isn't being applied. So if I check if a unit has buff, they wont.

As an after thought is there a way I can tag the unit as melee but keeps its attack range or is the melee/ranged dependant on the range setting? even if it chanegd the anim or whateva. If it is dependant on the number entered into the range, then there must be somewhere in the game settings that could alter that. I've looked thru the gameplay constants but couldn't find anything.

I kinda explained it at confusing manner. Let me try again:

- You have Vampiric Aura that is some % per level, per damage done that heals melee units that start and hit the target. But it doesn't work for ranged so this is how you might solve it

Since you have a building that gives all units the aura, and it levels through time. You can through triggers check the level of the vampiric aura the building has and the healing will increase, only it won't be from damage done but rather from other things like % of total health, static value or just randomly, whatever you want.

So you make a dummy aura spell. Like I said, Devotion Aura, you just edit the name of it, edit the name of the buff and make it Vampiric Aura. You also set that all units with this aura get 0 armor, so that you won't add armor to your units. Devotion Aura does apply to both melee and ranged units so it won't matter. You can only check via triggers that the unit has the buff, check the level of vampiric aura the building has and set how much will the healing be.

For example the formula for healing can be:

Level of Vampiric Aura (1-2-3-4-5) * 5

That sets healing to be 5/10/15/20/25. At the end, you can use any other formula you want, this is just an example.

If you like the idea, I'll make the trigger for ya if you can't yourself.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
Yeah I haven't. I have now. You are correct we can skip all the triggers with this, but how is this gonna be an aura? As far as I know this is single unit ability. While it works for ranged and melee, you would have to give this ability to each unit.

Maybe if while using dummy aura spell and then by triggers, giving all units the mask of death ability. I don't know what is your idea Accname

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
he wants it to be a global aura applying to all units...skip all that and just add that as a passive ability to all units.
same effect + less work = win

gaskell

Reaction score
yea i was looking at the item but had trouble finding the buff or ability.
So I make a copy of devotion aura, name it "vampiric aura ranged", change the stats to 0, change the art options (icon, etc..) to the vampiric aura ones.
Thats easy enough, but adding the ability of the item mask of death is where I had trouble. I tried to add the buff to the dummy aura but that couldn't be done.
After re-reading what you put over and over while typing this, do you mean to add the ability "Item Life Steal" to the units in the object editor under default active ability (thats the ability that the mask of death has) and level that ability up as my new aura levels up?
so each aura has 10 levels so I should give Item life steal 11 and make the first level give 0 bonus. Is that what you meant?
Now if I make a trigger to check the lvl of buff compared to the lvl of the ability and match(+1).....
This I'm kinda stuck with now.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
Well for my idea I had the idea, but a level check for an Item Lifesteal ability... hmm. You can still make it like this:

- Your building levels up the dummy devotion aura called "Vampiric Aura" up to X number of levels. Only in this case, you can set Area of Effect to only be 1 so no unit gets the buff, because it doesn't matter we are just using it as a condition for the triggers

- You then can make X number of levels for the Item Lifesteal ability, also remove the category Item and make it Hero

- Through the trigger that adds the ability to every unit you make the event when the building levels an ability, which is gonna be Vampiric Aura. Then you will add the Item Lifesteal ability to each unit and the level of it will be:

Level of Vampiric Aura = Level of Item Lifesteal

I think that could work.

gaskell

Reaction score
- well giving the buff just means they have the icon, it's more of a visual thing than anything else.

- sorted the lvls and changed it to hero. Also gave it as a default active ability to each unit. Lvl 1 of item life steal gives 0 lifesteal and 15% per lvl after that.

- cant find "event when the building levels an ability" Also with this if say its lvl2 and it goes up to lvl3 then all units gain life steal lvl3? BUT what about the newly created units that come into play after that trigger?

I reckon the action:
Trigger:
  • Actions
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by (Owner of (Triggering unit))) and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • Unit - Set level of Item Life Steal for (Picked unit) to ((Level of Vampiric Aura Ranged for (Triggering unit)) + 1)

Would work but as for event I'm stumped. Also as I said about newly created units....
OMG why does this have to be so hard.

ok so....
Trigger:
  • Vamp aura trigger
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Learns a skill
    • Conditions
      • ((Triggering unit) has buff Vampiric Aura) Equal to True
      • (Level of Item Life Steal for (Triggering unit)) Less than or equal to (Level of Vampiric Aura Ranged for (Triggering unit))
    • Actions
      • Unit - Add Item Life Steal to (Triggering unit)
      • Unit - Set level of Item Life Steal for (Triggering unit) to ((Level of Vampiric Aura Ranged for (Triggering unit)) + 1)
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by (Owner of (Triggering unit))) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Add Item Life Steal to (Picked unit)
          • Unit - Set level of Item Life Steal for (Picked unit) to ((Level of Vampiric Aura Ranged for (Triggering unit)) + 1)

should work for when the ability lvls but only for existing units

gaskell

Reaction score
ok heres an update.
My victory/defeat issues are fixed by a few changes made to the style of gameplay, makes it a little different but makes the triggers waaaaay easier. Still no luck with the vamp aura. The dummy aura isn't lvling up and there is no life gain working at all.
I have...
Trigger:
    • If - Conditions
      • (Level of Vampiric Aura Ranged for (Random unit from (Units owned by (Owner of (Triggering unit)) of type Buff Tower trigger))) Less than 1
    • Then - Actions
      • Unit - Add Vampiric Aura Ranged to (Triggering unit)
      • Unit - Add Vampiric Aura Ranged to (Random unit from (Units owned by (Owner of (Triggering unit)) of type Buff Tower trigger))
    • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Vampiric Aura Ranged for (Random unit from (Units owned by (Owner of (Triggering unit)) of type Buff Tower trigger))) Less than 10
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Add Vampiric Aura Ranged to (Triggering unit)
          • Unit - Increase level of Vampiric Aura Ranged for (Random unit from (Units owned by (Owner of (Triggering unit)) of type Buff Tower trigger))
        • Else - Actions
          • Trigger - Run (This trigger) (ignoring conditions)

for giving and lvling up the aura (this is a section as I have this pattern throughtout for all auras but i didn't see the point in putting the whole page long trigger here as it works perfectly for every other aura).

Also I'm using...
Trigger:
  • Vamp aura trigger P1
    • Events
      • Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
      • (Buff Tower trigger 0008 <gen> has buff Vampiric Aura) Equal to True
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Vampiric Aura Ranged for Buff Tower trigger 0008 <gen>) Less than 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by Player 1 (Red) of type Hydralisk Warrior) and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Vampiric Aura Ranged for Buff Tower trigger 0008 <gen>) Less than 10
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by Player 1 (Red) of type Hydralisk Warrior) and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Unit - Increase level of Item Life Steal for (Picked unit)
            • Else - Actions

to check for lvl of vamp aura ranged on trigger tower and apply the "item life steal" ability to all the units of that player that are hydralisk warriors

Basicly,
Vampire Aura ranged = dummy aura that does nothing in the way of stats
Buff tower = these are created by the units which have a random aura
Buff tower trigger = there is one of these for each player hidden and unselectable in the centre of the map. This is the real aura tower, all auras are applied and lvled on this tower
Hydralisk warrior = the unit that everyone has to fight with.
Item Life Steal = this is the "mask of death" ability edited to be hero instead of item but still doesn't seem to given to units

As far as I can see this should work but its not applying to the units and this aura is not leveling up like the others are.
I'm feeling so lost and this map is sooo close to being finished.

Thankyou guys sooooo much for helping me this far I really do apprieciate it a great deal. Just hope you can put up with me a bit longer till I got this sorted.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
Ok, first off - are you using periodic events when you spawn units, creeps better said for each side? If you are, then this is a good time when new units are created, then you should give them the Lifesteal ability. Like this:

Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Time - Every 25.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set YourUnitGroup = (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((((Matching unit) is A structure) Equal to False) and (((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to False)))
      • Unit - Create 4 SomeUnit for SomePlayer at SomeRegion facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in YourUnitGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Vampiric Aura for YourBuilding Greater than or equal to 1
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Level of Vampiric Aura for YourBuilding Greater than or equal to 2
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Add Item Life Steal 2 to (Picked unit)
                • Else - Actions
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup ( udg_YourUnitGroup )

This is an easier to create units, pick them and add them ability while checking for the level of Vampiric Aura.

I suppose you create them at a region somewhere. Use that region for your adding trigger. You pick them up, check that they are not Hero, not Structure and give them the ability. Secondly, you didn't say but the way I got it, human players have control over the building and they can level up the Vampiric Aura manually. If this is not what you wanted, you should of kinda given more details.

Now about the building, if you want it to level Vampiric Aura on itself, then you should first tell me the event at which the building raises the level. You can accomplish that with:

Trigger:
  • Unit - Increase level of Vampiric Aura for YourBuilding

This is found under Unit - Just under add ability.

gaskell

Reaction score
sorry,
Ok players start with 1 unit which can create 2 types of buildings, a spawner or a buff tower (building the structure consumes the unit).
Every 30secs each region (which can only support 4 buildings) spawns X units in the centre of the region (where X = number of spawn buildings).
The buff tower has a random aura on it (generated by trigger) and is also applied to a "trigger tower" hidden and unselectable in the centre of the map.

So for example the units spawning have no auras. You build a buff tower which has vamp aura (7.3% chance of this aura) (this also gives the trigger tower vamp aura). Auras are set to max range (so the centre towers can reach the whole map). Now you create a 2nd buff tower and it gives you the vamp aura as well (luck of the draw) this newly created tower also has lvl1 vamp aura but the trigger tower lvls up to lvl2 vamp aura (giving the illusion that the buff towers are stacking). I also have triggers for when these towers are destroyed reducing the lvl of the buff on the "trigger tower"

So the aura needs to be applied (if buff towers have it) when units are created and at the lvl of the "trigger tower" and also when a the lvl of the ability on the "trigger tower" changes

Hopefully this gives you more of an idea now, which i should have explained at the start and made it much easier for you. I didn't intend on this being so hard and lengthy tho.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
1). you cannot level up most item abilitys. i dont know for sure whether this rule applies to life steal as well but i guess.

2). if you remember point 1). you need many different abilities representing the levels your best bet is to store these inside an ability array at map init.

3). give the ability directly to your unit. when your dummy aura is leveled up pick all units, remove the old skill, add a new skill. if you used the array it will be pretty simple.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.