Map Is Crashing

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
My map is crashing if I click on my town hall or if I click on some unit build buttons. This has happened to me before and is uber frustrating and I don't know how I fixed it last time or what the problem is. Anyone know what I could look into or what might be some of the possible issues? Anyone else ever get this? I have put a ton of time into this map and it only recently started crashing, and only when I do the above mentioned things. I'm so scared I am going to have to ditch all my hard work. Please help. :confused:

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Is it only that map or does it happen to others aswell?

What is the last thing you did to your map before the crashes started?
Or even better, the last three things.

Soulshadow

Reaction score
Two possible problems...

1.) You could have some erraneous custom map script.
To fix this simply go into your trigger editor, select the map name at the top left of the list, and delete any shananigans inside the text box to the right.
2.) You could have some trigger text that just doesn't work. Run back over your triggers and make sure you aren't dividing by zero.

Fluffball

Reaction score
Maybe there is something stuffing up your Build spell book. Maybe you have too many things in it or something?

Infinite loops and making a unit go outside of the camera bounds using coordinates also cause crashes.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Well, upload the map I'll take a look.

I really appreciate the offer and if it comes down to it I may take you up on that, but I will try some other things first. As well my map is huge don't know that I can work it.

Two possible problems...

1.) You could have some erraneous custom map script.
To fix this simply go into your trigger editor, select the map name at the top left of the list, and delete any shananigans inside the text box to the right.
2.) You could have some trigger text that just doesn't work. Run back over your triggers and make sure you aren't dividing by zero.

1.) I've looked here like you said and I don't even have any custom map script to worry about yet.

2.) I've ran through them a few times now and didn't find anything that seemed odd.

Maybe there is something stuffing up your Build spell book. Maybe you have too many things in it or something?

Infinite loops and making a unit go outside of the camera bounds using coordinates also cause crashes.

I don't have it doing anything that goes outside the camera bounds nor is my spell book full, I even emptied it and tried it and it still did the same thing. I'm not sure about infinit loops though because I may have some of those but not sure? :confused:

R

Rhaged

Do you have any unit morphs? IVe had problems with that before in the past, make a unit morph into somthing in the object editor. and it crashes if done wrong,

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Do you have any unit morphs? IVe had problems with that before in the past, make a unit morph into somthing in the object editor. and it crashes if done wrong,

I'm pretty sure that its not this because I am not performing a morph when it crashes.

Well I did a little more testing and found that it only crashes on this map, not others, and it only crashes when I click on the human town hall. I click on it and it makes the select noise three times...is frozen...and then crashes.

The only alterations I have made to the town hall is that I have added three extra units to build from here...however this is a change that I made a long time ago and has been working fine for months now. I really don't know what gives. :confused:

Gah this is getting really frustrating. I have been working on this map forever and I can't fix this bug. It seems to be related to data and not triggers. If I copy all my triggers to another map it doesn't crash, however, I can copy just my object data and it crashes. I am almost positive it has to do with just the object data because this happened once prior to making any triggers. I wasn't able to fix it that time and had to start over. I can't afford to do this at this point as I have too much content and time into my map. Anyone who can figure this out gets my sincerest gratitude, as at this point I am looking at having to transfer unit by unit, ability by ability over to another map till I figure out what it is. Seeing as I have over 1,000 abilities, plus respective buffs, and almost 900 units; this becomes really quite daunting. Beyond this my map takes around 5 minutes to load on my computer. Which brings me to another question: is there any way to export batches of units and object data without replacing all? Can I do this in sections till I get that bad batch and then start to narrow it down. If indeed the problem exist in a single unit or ability? Does that even make sense, I don't know...Please someone be my Hero, lol, I don't want to scrap this effort. If you want my map to look over please let me know and I will get it to you. Any effort is greatly appreciated.

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
There are certain things that you can do in the object editor that can make the game crash, but there is a lot of things from the attack art to the starting stats. If it only happens when interacting with certain objects then I would look at those objects, maybe post a screen cap of the unit/building stats here.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
There are certain things that you can do in the object editor that can make the game crash, but there is a lot of things from the attack art to the starting stats. If it only happens when interacting with certain objects then I would look at those objects, maybe post a screen cap of the unit/building stats here.

Well it only happens when I click on the Human town hall, even though I have completely reset it back to its original state, or when I click on the Human build button. The build function crashes for the Human race only and only the Human town hall remains to crash my map, there is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary that I can tell. I have reset all of it and still the issue persist. I think I remember seeing about a month or so back an uknown something in a data field of the town hall. I just reset it back to normal to clear this. Don't know what it was there for cuz I didn't place anthing there that I can think of. Anyway I just have no idea what it could be or how to fix this and I am getting pretty desperate at this point.

As for projectile art I have added a ton of this kind of thing but none of it is triggering the crash, just clicking on my the Human town hall or using the Human build function. I really am curious as to what it is as this is at least the second or third time I have encountered this. It is either inherit to my editor like a bad apple or inherit to something I am doing. I just don't know what to look for.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Hmm. These appear to be symptoms of a tech tree loop. For example, if one unit can upgrade into another, and the next into the first, you get an infinite loop. It crashes the game, I hear.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Hmm. These appear to be symptoms of a tech tree loop. For example, if one unit can upgrade into another, and the next into the first, you get an infinite loop. It crashes the game, I hear.

Hmmm...well I don't have any units that do such using the upgrade ability, however, I may have an infinite loop through triggers using the chaos ability. In order to accomadate all my Heroes I only desired one altar required to be built; not multiple. So I made a dummy ability that when pressed adds the 'chaos' ability to switch it to a duplicate altar with additional Hero selections. It does eventualy switch back to the original. However this infinite loop isn't even activated when it crashes, its activated through triggers and has seemed to work fine so far. I can transfer just the data and it crashes withouth the triggers even being there.

needsthehelp

Reaction score
Father_Yetti

Why is my unit causing crashes or disconnects?
Not everything you do in the editor will be valid in game. Check for these.
"These can cause crashes/disconnects"
-Set a unit's collision size to 0.
-Set a building's pathing map to "none".
-Make a hero building.
-Give a unit a loading ability without a cargo ability.
-Set the "Damage - Number of Dice" field to a high number
(there is no real reason to set it above 2, just raise the base damage instead)

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
that happened to me
do you have any neutral buildings that your town hall can create?
This happened to me when i tried clicking the build menu on my peasent
instant disconnect, sometimes frozen
EDIT
try removing everything your town hall can create except for things like peasents
then add all your old stuff, leaving the new stuff out

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> For example, if one unit can upgrade into another

Another one would be a circular "dependency equivalent".

Or, in case of Heroes, a problem with the Hero list in the gameplay constants, in which case only a reset of that list will help.

lindenkron

You can change this now in User CP
Reaction score
Do it the way the rest of us do it ;o:

Turn off one thing at a time / Reset lists etc, run the map and see if it crashes.

Once you turn something off and it stops crashing, you know what area your 'flaw' is in :p

eloytoro

Reaction score
Check the model, if you gave any unit some setting it shouldn't have (like movement speed to the town hall) or maybe a corrupted imported file. Happened to me very often when i was a beginner. Sometimes i had no solution for this kind of problems, and i needed to start over

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
that happened to me
do you have any neutral buildings that your town hall can create?
This happened to me when i tried clicking the build menu on my peasent
instant disconnect, sometimes frozen
EDIT
try removing everything your town hall can create except for things like peasents
then add all your old stuff, leaving the new stuff out

Yes I have exactly the same problem here when I click a town hall or click the build function on peasants it crashes. So is that all you did to fix it because I have already done this and gotten no results; I have completely reset my town hall and peasants to their original states.

I'm not using custom icons.

Turning things off wont work; its not in the triggers. I have already reset my Hero list so thats not it.

What I am curious if someone could answer for me is that when these certain things make the game crash is just having an incorrect field going to crash it only when that related data is used, or are the results completely unpredictable? I am curious because I can play out any other race and build whatever I want and it only ever crashes with the human race. Is this related in way?

As for starting over I think I would sooner kill myself so I really hope it does not come to this. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will tinker around with it some more and hopefully discover something before I go completely mad.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Well, I've come to the conclusion that I can't find this problem the way I am trying. For one; unfortunately my computer is just too damn slow and there are too many variables to check. The only thing I want to know is: how can I transfer portions of data from one map to another? As this is the only thing that would make this proccess feasible by working it out in partitions making it somewhat manageable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.