Map Stealers!

gojirra

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just thought I would post because I've been getting alot of threats from people saying they will steal my map. I am working on a map called Mini Duel. I have just submitted it to the website and hopefully it will be up soon. I don't believe in protecting maps because I want others to learn from my maps or modify them as long as they give credit where it is due. Has anyone else run into this problem before?

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> Has anyone else run into this problem before?

Problem? How is that a problem?

Either way, that only ever happens, or is reason for worry, for totally "uber" maps.
Given the current state of BNet, there's precisely one... all others don't matter.

> been getting a lot of threats

Yes. Of course.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
If you don't protect your map and people like the content of course they are going to use it. It's like giving a stranger the key to your house, you don't do it unless you're fine with the idea of them robbing you blind. Ofcourse, giving them the keys doesn't mean they will rob you, but when you give someone full access there's always the chance.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
This has happened to me... A guy called SkipFreeThrow started editing the map I was working on, yet I don't care since I was only derigging Angel Arena Eclipse. I got to v1.27, then SkipFreeThrow and Chef-Nightmare, the original maker, started working off that version.

killbuzz

Reaction score
This has happened to me... A guy called SkipFreeThrow started editing the map I was working on, yet I don't care since I was only derigging Angel Arena Eclipse. I got to v1.27, then SkipFreeThrow and Chef-Nightmare, the original maker, started working off that version.

lol now that is a new low... having to steal your own map. :thdown: (Guess they didn't know how to balance anything ;))

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
When it comes down to it protecting your map can be a waist of time, optimizeing it is always good to lower the file size but if you protect it, there are always some people that can undo that protection. I have meet a few people on b-net saying that there maps were stolen even though they protected thim, with one it was real funny, the map was called frozen hero line wars, and the guy who was complaining about some one stealing and editeing his map was a hipacrit cause the cap was just lition with the terrain changed. There were a few more hero's added, some removed, shops were changed but all the creeps were the same lol.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just thought I would post because I've been getting alot of threats from people saying they will steal my map. I am working on a map called Mini Duel. I have just submitted it to the website and hopefully it will be up soon. I don't believe in protecting maps because I want others to learn from my maps or modify them as long as they give credit where it is due. Has anyone else run into this problem before?

Nothing personal, but...I've never heard of it and further moore only dota matters.All the other maps have an oudience(a small one) and when somthing cooler comes(2 month at best) it is swept away.So baisicly You should have put on a coupple of pases you r nick OR stop worriing.Besides, if you are the original creator this means that you'll be able to modify the map verry easy

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
I've never really understood the whole map stealing thing. The only time it ever really happened to me was because I put no name on a map, and even then the first few derivative versions credited the unknown author.

Ever played the baseball map? That was originally my 'learning' map for the world editor. It's been modified up, down, and sideways, but it still shows my (old) name at startup. I would say it's substantially improved (still somehow has a lot of bugs) and that wouldn't have happened if it was protected or optimized.

Also, Storm the Fort on Starcraft (also by me under an old name). It's not protected, and there are derivative versions. But, the last time I checked, the last version I released was still recognized as the 'good' one. The main reason for that is there's not a lot of room for improvement in that map, changes tend to make it worse.

There's someone on the other side of the planet who translated the last two versions of power towers into Chinese. That is just plain awesome, and it would never have happened if the map were protected or optimized.

So... what's my point? Make quality maps and people can't steal them. Don't protect or optimize them and they will last years after you stop maintaining them. If all else fails, just point to that old beta version with your name on it on epicwar. Don't protect your map, it pisses me off when I try to see how you did stuff.

wellwish3r

wishes wells.
Reaction score
Nothing personal, but...I've never heard of it and further moore only dota matters.All the other maps have an oudience(a small one) and when somthing cooler comes(2 month at best) it is swept away.So baisicly You should have put on a coupple of pases you r nick OR stop worriing.Besides, if you are the original creator this means that you'll be able to modify the map verry easy

well when you deprotect a map, you dont get every single trigger, you just get one single gigantic code blurp, which is quite hard to edit, since it does not use any variables etc anymore.
And DotA is not the only map that has lived for a long time. There is castle fight, Batlletank/Ships, MT Enfo,...

One big advantage of a protected map is that it decreases the range of potential map stealer, and if you get some reputation for the map, and keep updating it, then your will pretty much be the most played one, since all the others are gonna be inbalanced and buggy.

eatbeaver

Reaction score
Hints how you can protect your map:

1. Use a protecing program! This will atleast stop the big mass from getting acess to it.
2. Do not submit anywhere until its 100% complete!
3. If you submit it, write your nick almost everywhere. On the loading screen, on the ground, in the quest log etc.
4. Convert your triggers to custom script. This will stop many people from steal triggers.

But if you protect it almost none will be able to see it. If a guy just want to see how you did that cool spell he won't be able to. So i protecing good or bad? That's the question

MurderMode

Reaction score
A possible method to maintain ownership of your map might be to release the first version as a protected map, just to get it out there and have your name associated with it. After that you can release an unprotected version to the public, say they can learn from it/edit it to their will. Hopefully then when people do begin to take it's content for personal use they might still attach your name to the loading screen. (eg. like how you see maps with titles like "map by so-and-so, edited by mr_mapthief101@US WEST)

On top of that keep your b.net name the same as your forum name and host the map for download on specific sites like the helper, so people know where the official version came from and who it is by.

duderock101

Check out my 2 Player Co-op RPG!
Reaction score
i usally protect all my maps when i release them. I know ppl can hack the maps and open then but it stops like 60% of the noobs getting at it. The ones that don't know what a map hacker is. I would protect your maps if i was you but hay, your choice!

gojirra

Reaction score
If you don't protect your map and people like the content of course they are going to use it. It's like giving a stranger the key to your house, you don't do it unless you're fine with the idea of them robbing you blind. Ofcourse, giving them the keys doesn't mean they will rob you, but when you give someone full access there's always the chance.

Did you read my post at all? I said that the entire reason I DON'T protect my maps is so that people can use the content. The point I am trying to make is that I would like credit where credit is due.

I do however like your second idea of trying to associate your name with the map before people steal it.

gojirra

Reaction score
Everyone talking about the quality of the map, I invite you to play it. Let me know a time and a place : D

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
>Did you read my post at all? I said that the entire reason I DON'T protect my maps is so that people can use the content. The point I am trying to make is that I would like credit where credit is due.

of course he read it, hes just saying, theres people out there who wont give credit thus people could steal content and claim it as their own. the thing is, if you leave it unprotected, it is EXTREMELY easy to go through the map properties and triggers to change your name to someone elses.

maybe you should create a forum (free or pay for bandwidth), post the site in your map and only upload official versions on your own site.

MurderMode

Reaction score
yeah of course i read it, I was just pointing out that if you leave it unprotected for people to learn from then it also leaves it open to be stolen. There's no two ways about it.

I think dota's success is due to it's constantly updated and maintained nature. It has it's own fan base of people that want to stay in it's official competitive loop... there is no prestige in being pro at a false version. So if your map is for play as well as acting as a tutorial, then I think you will have to constantly update it's content to appease the masses so that it doesn't just sink down to becoming tutorial and resource rip.

@ Cleeezzz... thanks for sticking up for me and understanding what I said yo

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
well when you deprotect a map, you dont get every single trigger, you just get one single gigantic code blurp, which is quite hard to edit, since it does not use any variables etc anymore.
And DotA is not the only map that has lived for a long time. There is castle fight, Batlletank/Ships, MT Enfo,...

One big advantage of a protected map is that it decreases the range of potential map stealer, and if you get some reputation for the map, and keep updating it, then your will pretty much be the most played one, since all the others are gonna be inbalanced and buggy.

Ahhhhh, yes the castle fight, the map that inspired me to start with the editor in the first place.What happend to it it is dead.The person who made it said that there isn't going to be another castle fight.Besides, Dota is made by Blizzard in the first place, it is quite normal to live forever...

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dota is made by Blizzard in the first place, it is quite normal to live forever...

Lol... Blizzard didn't make DotA. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.