Mass Ensnare Lag

Igor_Z

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hmm. I made a spell that ensnares many units in the area. The spell works perfectly but there is a small issue. When my hero ensnares many units, more than 5 to be exact it causes some lag. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix that? I don't know if it can be fixed to work flawlessly but I think it can be improved a little bit...

Triggers:

Trigger:
  • Ensnare AoE
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Mass Ensnare
    • Actions
      • Set Mass_Ensnare_Units[1] = (Triggering unit)
      • Set Mass_Ensnare_Points[1] = (Position of Mass_Ensnare_Units[1])
      • Set Mass_Ensnare_Points[2] = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Create 1 Ensnare Moving Dummy for (Owner of Mass_Ensnare_Units[1]) at Mass_Ensnare_Points[1] facing Default building facing degrees
      • Set Mass_Ensnare_Units[2] = (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Turn collision for Mass_Ensnare_Units[2] Off
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Mass_Ensnare_Points[1])
      • Trigger - Turn on Ensnare Move <gen>

Trigger:
  • Ensnare Move
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Mass_Ensnare_Points[3] = (Position of Mass_Ensnare_Units[2])
      • Set Mass_Ensnare_Points[4] = (Mass_Ensnare_Points[3] offset by 35.00 towards (Angle from Mass_Ensnare_Points[3] to Mass_Ensnare_Points[2]) degrees)
      • Unit - Move Mass_Ensnare_Units[2] instantly to Mass_Ensnare_Points[4]
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Integer((Distance between Mass_Ensnare_Points[3] and Mass_Ensnare_Points[2]))) Less than or equal to 50
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Remove Mass_Ensnare_Units[2] from the game
          • Set Mass_Ensnare_Group = (Units within 375.00 of Mass_Ensnare_Points[2] matching ((((Matching unit) is A structure) Equal to False) and ((((Matching unit) is Magic Immune) Equal to False) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of Mass_Ensnare_Units[1])) Equal to True))))
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Mass_Ensnare_Group and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Unit - Create 1 Ensnare Dummy for (Owner of Mass_Ensnare_Units[1]) at Mass_Ensnare_Points[2] facing Default building facing degrees
              • Set Mass_Ensnare_Units[3] = (Last created unit)
              • Unit - Add Mass Ensnare (Dummy Cast) to Mass_Ensnare_Units[3]
              • Unit - Set level of Mass Ensnare (Dummy Cast) for Mass_Ensnare_Units[3] to (Level of Mass Ensnare for Mass_Ensnare_Units[1])
              • Unit - Order Mass_Ensnare_Units[3] to Orc Raider - Ensnare (Picked unit)
              • Unit - Add a 1.20 second Generic expiration timer to Mass_Ensnare_Units[3]
          • Custom script: set udg_Mass_Ensnare_Units[1] = null
          • Custom script: set udg_Mass_Ensnare_Units[2] = null
          • Custom script: set udg_Mass_Ensnare_Units[3] = null
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Mass_Ensnare_Points[2])
          • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_Mass_Ensnare_Group)
          • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
        • Else - Actions
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Mass_Ensnare_Points[3])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Mass_Ensnare_Points[4])

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Trigger:
  • k
    • Unit - Create 1 Ensnare Dummy for (Owner of Mass_Ensnare_Units[1]) at Mass_Ensnare_Points[2] facing Default building facing degrees
    • Set Mass_Ensnare_Units[3] = (Last created unit)
    • Unit - Add Mass Ensnare (Dummy Cast) to Mass_Ensnare_Units[3]
    • Unit - Set level of Mass Ensnare (Dummy Cast) for Mass_Ensnare_Units[3] to (Level of Mass Ensnare for Mass_Ensnare_Units[1])
    • Unit - Order Mass_Ensnare_Units[3] to Orc Raider - Ensnare (Picked unit)
    • Unit - Add a 1.20 second Generic expiration timer to Mass_Ensnare_Units[3]

You have an un-needed variable here. Just use (last created unit) instead of setting it to Mass_Ensnare_Units[3].

Apart from that, I don't know why it doesn't work for more than 5 units, but I'll go through the code again.

Igor_Z

Reaction score
Apart from that, I don't know why it doesn't work for more than 5 units, but I'll go through the code again.
No it works but it causes some lag in-game... That's why I am worried

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Well, the lag would be because you're creating 5+ units in an instant, which is bound to take some processing.

Quick question, your ensnare spell is instant? If it IS, then I suggest you remake your trigger slightly, to create only 1 dummy and instead move it around and ordering it to cast constantly. Unit creation is one of the largest causes of lag because of their complexity, so creating as few units as possible will reduce your lag a lot.

Igor_Z

Reaction score
Hmm. I'll try to use only 1 dummy thank you for the suggestion +rep.

Unit creation is one of the largest causes of lag
Yes, but casting a spell on multiple units at the same time is also very "machine exhausting"

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Yes, but casting a spell on multiple units at the same time is also very "machine exhausting"
Maybe, but it's a lot less than unit creation. You realise that even a dummy unit has a lot of extra values and info that needs to load each time a unit like that is created. On the other hand, spells are a lot simpler.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.