Medivh as Hero - Morphing Flyer Problem

Apostle O

Reaction score
Long time no see, everyone. I have been out of WC3 map editing for a long time. Anyway, I am back with a little question...

I have been working on a hero based on Medivh. Being that the world editor does not have a feature to convert a normal unit into a hero, I have been doing it by hand.

I created a custom hero (Raven Lord), custom crow form (Raven Lord (Raven Form)), and custom ability (Raven Form).

The Raven Lord is based on some random hero, I can't remember which. I don't figure it matters, as I just copied over Medivh's stats for the mean time, and deleted the hero abilities.

I created the Raven Form ability based on Robo-Goblin from the Goblin Tinker. I copied over all of the ability stats from Crow Form.

I created the Raven Lord (Raven Form) from Demon Hunter (Demon Form) (since I originally used Metamorphosis for the Raven Form ability, before I ran across a post here that pointed to Robo-Goblin being a better hero-morphing ability.

I got everything down now where he morphs correctly, retains his abilities correctly, etc. The only issue is if he happens to fly over some impassible terrain, like a building, and return to human form. Rather than move to the edge of the building like normal (via Gameplay Constant "Gameplay - Morphing Flyers Land At Closest Position") he will get stuck in Raven Form. If you then order him to move, he jutts out to the edge of the building, and moves as if in human form, and all his abilities are as in human form, but the model remains as in Raven Form.

Does anyone have a solution for me (or even understand what I mean?)

Thanks,
-Apostle O

istar

Reaction score
ha, i encountered a similar problem using crow form, the original one, but i solved it by changing its casting time back to 1.05 and re-enabled immediate takeoff
i dont whether it is the same problem, mine is just the model change lag and somehow its stuck

Apostle O

Reaction score
I remade the character completely using the Raven Form ability as my base itself, and it works. I am not sure why I didn't think of that before.

Anyway, thanks!

-Apostle O

Apostle O

Reaction score
Hmm, a new problem has arisen.

I have been working on this at my house and a friend's house, trying to learn the World Editor.

I got everything to work, but now at my place, when my hero is in Raven Form and goes to cast a spell, he switches back to Medivh for the casting animation momentarily.

Over at my friend's house, I don't have this problem.

I can't seem to find any difference in the unit or ability properties comparing them to each other or the original Medivh.

Any ideas?

-Apostle O

CaptDeath

Reaction score
all i can say is email the version from your friends comp to yours then importer[via copy and paste] into your map

Apostle O

Reaction score
all i can say is email the version from your friends comp to yours then importer[via copy and paste] into your map

I certainly could do that, or use a flash drive, or what have you... but I want to actually know what causes this for the future. I am making this hero to learn the world editor.

-Apostle O

Naga'sShadow

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Simple answer the editor has gotten really buggy with recent patches. Complicated answer morphing was always buggy. Try this, your alternate bird form, look for the art-required animation names, I think? I needs to have the alternate tag. If not your hero will morph to the new hero before the spells complete and will display the default art for a few seconds. This should take care of the odd issues, note a couple of spells add the alternate animation tag. Avatar, and locust swarm will make him show the raven form even if he's supposed to be normal at the time.

Edit: missread your question. The raven doesn't have a cast animation as far as I know off, so he reverts back to the original when casting. At the top of a spell there's a section for the animation it will play. Your friends spell is likely different than yours. Try using attack or alternate spell.

Apostle O

Reaction score
Edit: missread your question. The raven doesn't have a cast animation as far as I know off, so he reverts back to the original when casting. At the top of a spell there's a section for the animation it will play. Your friends spell is likely different than yours. Try using attack or alternate spell.

Awesome! Excellent, excellent, excellent! As soon as I read your post, I knew you were right. I pulled up the editor, pulled out the animation name from the spell, and... no dice. So, then I threw in the "attack" animation and... VOILA!

Works like a charm. Awesome! +Rep!

Thanks

-Apostle O

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.