Model (Civilian) with specific variation

Eimtr

Reaction score
[SOLVED] Model (Civilian) with specific variation

I did some Hosting & Site Operations with which the model of the Civilian appears. The problem is every time the actor or site operation is called, the Model appears in different variation because as you know the Civilian uses several variations and textures.

I want to make the model use just one specific variation. I already set Variation Count: 1, it was 3. Now I want this variation of the Civilian that you choose if the Civilian were placed on the map:

Variation 2
Textures: male,helmet,03

I linked a duplicate of the Civlian model and even though I only changed Variation Count: to 1, the model that it uses ColonistMale.m3 appears untextured. If I linked the Civilian model it is textured but changing the variations each time the model is loaded.

The ;RequireAll diffuse,helmet; in Texture Expressions, I dont understand how to make it use the one I mentioned in blizz blue color

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Open up the previewer (Window > Previewer) and scroll down to the path Assets\Units\Terran\ColonistMale\. Inside the folder you should notice there are several models for Colonist Male unit. Currently your model object in the data editor is referencing ColonistMale.m3. You need to change this to a model variation you are after (that way there are no model variations to choose from).

You might also notice that the model variations actually have no animations built into the model. This is because the animations are actually located in the separate file (they do this so multiple models can use the same animations). In order to apply these animations to the unit, you need to set the Animations (Required) + property on the model object in the data editor to animation file. This should already be set it you are copying/using the Colonist Male model object.

Eimtr

Reaction score
My animations are fine only the model is without textures. If you mean select another M3 model instead of COlonistMale.m3, that's not my goal since the other models frm Colonist_Male01.m3 to ColonostMale_teen_03.m3 are not the same as the Civilian with variations put on the map: Variation 2 Textures: male,helmet,03.

That's why im trying to fix the Texture Expressions because there isn;t a ready M3 model with it, it is all set in the texture expressions. For example the Yellow suit, helmet (i.e hair) and NO BACKPACK are only texture variation not model variation and they are applied to ColonistMale.m3...

So how

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Ok I see what you mean. I haven't really done much playing around with texture variations, but I was able to figure this out with some playing around:

The solution to this problem consists of two parts: setting the texture variations and setting the unit variation.

To apply the texture variations you need to modify the Texture Applied Groups property on the model. Basically you need to input each texture string into the boxes. The first one should already be set to male so you don't need to change that. Set the next one to Helmet and set the final one to Variation 02 (the final box will appear after you have set the second one).

I haven't been able to figure out how to set the unit variations, but you should be able to set the probability of the other variations occurring to 0 via the Variations + property. This should ultimately mean that these variations will never be selected. It is probably not ideal, but I haven't been able to figure out a better way of doing it.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: It seems that when placing units in the editor, setting the probability of the unit variations has no effect. I'm hoping this is just an editor thing and setting these probabilities will have an effect for units created in-game.

Eimtr

Reaction score
Thanks, you nearly solved it to the end. So as Textures: male,helmet,03 (seen in Textures tab when the unit is on the map) in Texture Applied Groups having selected Male, add Helmet and Variation 03 (not Variation 02 as Variation 2 is the Variation on 'General' tab of the unit on the map, I confused the two)

So now Male, Helmet, Variation 03, in Texture Applied Groups is the one I wanted and they show all the time, now the only problem is that sometimes he appears with a bagpack and sometimes without, I want him all the time without backpack.

^ Just solved that too. As I said if Variation Count is 1, the model gets untextured. However, if Variation Count is set to 2 along with the Texture Applied Groups, he is textured as I want and without backpack. Also without having to change Texture Expressions, Variation Probability, Number or any of those. Thank you for helping.

[COLOR="#00800"]SOLVED[/COLOR]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.