Sci/Tech Morphing cars and planes closer as Pentagon develops shape-shifting robot (w/ Video)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Pentagon research scientists have taken a first step towards "Transformers"-style shape-shifting cars and aircraft, with a robot that can fold itself like origami into different forms.

At the moment the tiny robot - a sheet just half a millimetre thick, scarcely thicker than a piece of paper - only folds itself into a boat, like a child's toy, or a "paper glider" plane shape. But it is anticipated that in future it will be used to create full-sized cars and aircraft that morph as they move, or robots that can "flow" like mercury into small openings, or multipurpose military uniforms that can adapt to different environments.

Researchers at the Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa) launched the project in 2007 in conjunction with Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It is a small sheet of stiff tiles and "joints" of elastomer, “studded with thin foil actuators and flexible electronics. The demonstration material contains 25 total actuators, divided into five groupings. A shape is produced by triggering the proper actuator groups in sequence,” according to a statement by Robert Wood, the head of the Harvard research team.

(Video on Link)

Last edited:

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't ever let apple get a hold on that technology or we will have transforming iRobots taking over the planet:eek:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Bumblebee!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Not impressive... only thing cool is the small size they were able to do this.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
It's not self folding. It's connected to something else. Besides, it's just moving in a specific pattern. It's cool. but not like WOW OMG! Besides, gonna take more than decades for it to do what we want it to (cars to planes, transformers, etc.)

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
At long last, napkins that fold themselves into geese.

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
Transformers robots in disguise! Before you know it we'll be seeing Optimus Prime lead the Autobots in a full out war against Megatron and the Decepticons.

-Perhaps I should lay off the cartoons and comic books....

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't ever let apple get a hold on that technology or we will have transforming iRobots taking over the planet:eek:
We should make it aware how we feel about this issue. lol

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
that wasn't even a boat shape... wtf kind of boats do they ride in?!?!?

impressive? yes. The future of cars that morph into small areas? ROFL... no.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Guys, obviously the government wouldn't be too eager to post something like this. I'm sure that the current project is further into development.

Dan

Reaction score
Guys, obviously the government wouldn't be too eager to post something like this. I'm sure that the current project is further into development.

soo...

the government spends money on all sorts of projects. Do you really think that this fail technology is the technology of tomorrow? haha

My wife has a purse with magnets that are used instead of zippers though... come to think of it. XDXD

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
soo...

the government spends money on all sorts of projects. Do you really think that this fail technology is the technology of tomorrow? haha

My wife has a purse with magnets that are used instead of zippers though... come to think of it. XDXD

what the hell are you on about... how is this technology gonna be a failure?

Dan

Reaction score
ok I'll wait in anticipation for "robots that morph like mercury" ... but I won't hold my breath. just my opinion. I don't see this as being as practical as they act like it will be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.