Multiple-Player Unit Spawn Oddity

chiwang

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to shout out and say thanks to the admins/mods of this place and also to the people who contribute because I've perused many threads in here :)

So for my problem...

Basically, after 3 seconds of game time I have 4 players spawning units:

Code:
Spawn Initialization
    Events
        Time - Elapsed game time is 3.00 seconds
    Conditions
    Actions
        Trigger - Turn on Unit Spawn RED <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on Unit Spawn BLUE <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on Unit Spawn TEAL <gen>
        Trigger - Turn on Unit Spawn PURPLE <gen>

The "Unit Spawn COLOR <gen>" triggers are all the same, except of course for the variable of player color:

Code:
Unit Spawn [COLOR="Blue"]RED[/COLOR]
    Events
        Time - Every 1.50 seconds of game time
    Conditions
        ([COLOR="Blue"]Player 1 (Red[/COLOR]) Food used) Less than Food_Limit[([COLOR="Blue"]Player number of Player 1 (Red)[/COLOR])]
    Actions
        Unit - Create 1 Unit[(Player number of (Triggering player))] for [COLOR="Blue"]Player 1 (Red)[/COLOR] at (Center of [COLOR="Blue"]Red1[/COLOR] <gen>) facing (Point([COLOR="Blue"]-30.00, 5300.00[/COLOR]))
        Unit - Create 1 Unit[(Player number of (Triggering player))] for [COLOR="Blue"]Player 1 (Red)[/COLOR] at (Center of [COLOR="Blue"]Red2[/COLOR] <gen>) facing (Point([COLOR="Blue"]290.00, 5200.00[/COLOR]))
        Trigger - Turn on Unit Move [COLOR="Blue"]RED[/COLOR] <gen>
All text highlighted in blue are changed for each corresponding player

So the unit spawn for Player 1 Red works. However no units spawn for Blue, Teal, and Purple even though their "Unit Spawn COLOR" triggers are the same.

Oh and by the way, the "Spawn Initialization" is initially on while the "Unit Spawn COLOR" triggers are not.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Unit - Create 1 Unit[(Player number of (Triggering player))] for Player 1 (Red) at (Center of Red1 <gen>) facing (Point(-30.00, 5300.00))
There is no triggering player.

chiwang

Reaction score
Oh lol. Novice mistake. How come units spawn for red then?

EDIT: I changed triggering player to be Player 2 (Blue) for Blue and no units spawn o.o

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that the variable "Food_Limit" is an integer array set at 40. And that for red the units do spawn until there is 40 food.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Oh lol. Novice mistake. How come units spawn for red then?

Trigger:
  • Actions:
    • Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at (Center of (Playable Map Area)) facing Default building facing degrees

Just change the region, and player

chiwang

Reaction score
Lifeless, thanks for posting :)

But I'm not sure what you mean. The trigger I'm using is "Unit - Create Units Facing Point."

The red spawns work. So all I did was copy and paste that trigger and change the region and player for Blue. But blue doesn't work, lol.

EDIT 1:

For red:

Code:
Unit - Create 1 Unit[([COLOR="Red"]Player number of Player 1 (Red)[/COLOR])] for [COLOR="Red"]Player 1 (Red)[/COLOR] at (Center of [COLOR="Red"]Red1[/COLOR] <gen>) facing (Point([COLOR="Red"]-30.00, 5300.00[/COLOR]))

For blue:

Code:
Unit - Create 1 Unit[([COLOR="Blue"]Player number of Player 2 (Blue)[/COLOR])] for [COLOR="Blue"]Player 2 (Blue)[/COLOR] at (Center of [COLOR="Blue"]Blue1[/COLOR] <gen>) facing (Point([COLOR="Blue"]4500.00, 4700.00[/COLOR]))

Renendaru

Reaction score
Can you show the trigger where you set the array variable Unit[]?

chiwang

Reaction score
Thanks also for your time Renendaru!

Hmm, I don't have a trigger "setting" the array variable Unit[] but the variable is a Unit-Type Array with an Initial Value of... lets just say Footman.

SGT Vejito

Reaction score
Hmm, I don't have a trigger "setting" the array variable Unit[] but the variable is a Unit-Type Array with an Initial Value of... lets just say Footman.

That could be your problem there.

When you create an Array, each portion of the array (in this case, 4) has a different starting unit. Unless specified they start as none. You can change the default in the Variable Management screen, but I believe it only changes for the first array of the Variable itself, the rest are left blank.

Easy way to make sure though, create this:

Trigger:
  • Unit Colour Variables
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 2.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Unit[(Player number of Player 1 (Red))] = (Units of type Footman)
      • Set Unit[(Player number of Player 2 (Blue))] = (Units of type Footman)
      • Set Unit[(Player number of Player 3 (Teal))] = (Units of type Footman)
      • Set Unit[(Player number of Player 4 (Purple))] = (Units of type Footman)

that'll make sure that no matter what each variable is set properly.

Renendaru

Reaction score
Can you insert this line into each spawn trigger for me and tell me what shows up? Change the colour part to the colour of the player the trigger is for. It's case-sensitive.
Code:
Custom Script: call BJDebugMsg("Colour works fine.")

chiwang

Reaction score
WOW! TO BE DUPED BY SOMETHING I LEARNED IN MIDDLE SCHOOL: SETTING VARIABLES.

From your post SGT Vejito I realized that since I also didn't set the FOOD_LIMIT variable then for everyone other than red, the FOOD_LIMIT would be 0 instead of 40!

Thank you, SGT Vejito!

And of course, I'm not forgetting Lifeless or Renendaru (especially Renendaru who is still trying to fix my problem!) :)

THANK YOU GUYS!!!

Renendaru

Reaction score
I adressed that same problem earlier in my post, hence why I asked for the variables, and why I asked for you to put the message in. If they all showed up, a variable is wrong.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.