My First LCD: A Few Questions

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
My old CRT died and now I'm using a NEC 1940CX - my first LCD. I have a few questions, as I've never owned an LCD before. Plus, I always used a 1024x768, and now that I'm using a 1280, it's like it's staring down at me like some Technological Messiah - a bit tricky to get everything to feel right.

1) I calibrated my monitor but the gamma still seems far too bright...are LCDs always this abnormally bright, or should I just keep tinkering? I used a Gretag Macbeth calibrator, by the way.

2) If I look carefully (this is most notably seen on my wallpaper), I can see a ton of faint static - like lines of it forming \s. Do all LCDs have this? Is something wrong?

3) I'm used to a CRT with an 85 hertz refresh rate. I notice this thing goes from 60 to 75 hertz, but 75 looks WORSE than 60. Again, is something wrong or are LCDs supposed to be this different from CRTs?

4) I think the gamma is screwy. I've gotten the color adjustment on the desktop and Warcraft 3 perfect, yet some aspects of WC3 (such as the menu buttons) are darker. What could be wrong?

6) When browsing the internet, if I scroll up/down the page, the text flashes dark red (formerly green before calibration). The flatscreens in my school do this, too. Is there a way to fix it? It's quite irritating.

Many thanks.

chris

Reaction score
Scream....

WOW my friend...seems like your having a few problems.

Are you using the software that came with the LCD to calibrate it. If so you should not get problems like that.

Ive noticed that LCD can be brighter but it seems that with all the problems you are having i would be tempted to either connect it to someone elses computer and see what theres is like.

Failing all of this.....take it back and get a TFT..just dont go for a really cheap one..you really want one that will run at 6ms (he lower the number the better)...ive just brought a samsung syncmaster 970p.

Carnt help you any more that that mate...hope you get it sorted soon..please post back an let us know how you get on. :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.