My new map again. (I want your opinion on the idea, and a quick question)

Rakaesa

Reaction score
Right. If you've been paying attention in these forums, you may have noticed i've tried out quite a few map ideas. Most of them I never got far in making. Why? Because I can get very impatient when I get bored (Like the long parts of making maps like custom heroes). So you may think I should just give up, because i'm not the right kind of person to make a map. Well, i'm trying to make one anyways. And here's a new idea that came to me when I was playing Vuen's D&D.

The players start in a little camp in the forest. The backstory is that they were in a large expedition group, exploring some uncharted lands. But on their way through the lands, there was a strange roar and then a bright flash. After the light faded, only the players and a few footmen were still there. They have no idea what happened. So you begin your journey heading north from this little camp, where you find a large hill. On this hill are walls surrounding the boarders, and ramps where gates could go, but no buildings. Not untill you reach the top. At the top rests a single castle, in which you can go inside. Inside rests a king. As you approach him and ask him what he's doing out here with just walls and a castle, he explains to you that he had a bunch of workers building a city, but there was a bright flash and half of them vanished. Afterwards the rest of them left in fear. So now the king has almost no gold, and no city. Your job? Get both of those things for him. It's sort of like an ORPG mixed with a campaign. So you head east, to the lowest level area.

Now here's how the game will work.
There will be various areas throughought the map with higher leveled and more difficult enemies, along with different terrain. Within these areas is not only enemies, but many activities. You can find things that are similiar to dungeons in world of warcraft, under three classes.
1: Camps. Camps are outdoor "Dungeons". They're usually the weakest type of dungeon, and the most common in low level areas.
2: Lairs. Lairs are the indoor type of dungeons, coming in many different forms and difficulties depending on the area and the type of enemy.
3: Sieges. Sieges are like a full blown war on an outdoor city, which are much rarer then the other kinds, and only found in the higher level areas.
All three of these things will give you items when you beat the boss (In a realistic way). As in, you can get the carcass, or the claws/fangs, etc.
The reason you get GOLD for these things is also realistic. You can imagine there'd be a large price on the heads of these big monsters or bosses, so it's called the "Bounty" System. You also recieve proof of the death of this certain boss, and if you hand it in to the king you'll receive gold depending on the difficulty of this enemy.

Next there's quests. There IS a main storyline, but not too many missions involved, as you get them as you progress through the game. But there WILL be many sidequests throughout the areas, revolving around hunting, saving, item retrieval, etc. All the basic types of quests. You also get gold and sometimes rewards from these quests.

Now here's where it gets interesting. You may think you have to use the gold you get to buy items. Hate to tell you, there's no shops in the city. Just a castle. So what do you do with the gold? You build the city. I don't think this has ever been done before. You don't actually build it with peasants, but you can give the king gold for certain buildings by saying the building name, only if it's available. Not only that, but you can also buy decorations once they're unlocked. Gates, parks, fountains, etc. Also, after you buy, say, a blacksmith, you can also buy soldiers from it for a reasonable price. Then you could position the units at the gates, or bring them with you on your adventures to help fight, although they'll be fairly useless at higher leveled areas. If you buy a blacksmith, you can upgrade your soldiers stats (If you upgrade once, all soldiers afterwards will receive the upgrades). The same goes for priests and all other types of units.

Remember I said you could leave soldiers at gates? Yeah. You probably SHOULD leave some soldiers at the gates of the city. Why? Because there will be attacks on the city by the areas bandits and creeps every now and then, to make the game even more interesting.

Another thing you're able to do is capture goldmines. A goldmine will have creeps standing around it that are stronger then any other place in that area, even the bounty areas. If you capture a gold mine, you will start to get a small ammount of gold as an income (I'll need to figure out the trigger for that).

So that's pretty much it. Give me your opinion on it, if it sounds good, what could be improved, if you have any suggestions or ideas I could add, etc.

Now the question is hopefully VERY simple. I spawned the castle. Now how the hell do I turn it to an angle? XD. I can turn units by double clicking them and changing the angle, but buildings dont have it. Answer quick please.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
does your castle need to be a building? cannot it be a unit?

if it really needs to be a building you can place a dummy unit at its position, set its angle, and give it the "chaos" ability in the object editor or via a trigger to transmorph it into the "castle" type unit.
it will thence become the castle and a structure but it will keep its facing direction even as a building.

but i doubt any players could tell a difference between an actual building and a unit, depends on what you need this castle-unit/building/whatever for.

income triggers are fairly easy.
Code:
events
 time - every X.XX seconds of game time
Condition
 (owner of GOLDMINE) is not equal to Neutral Passive (or whatever)
actions
 player - add X gold to (owner of GOLDMINE)s current gold

Rakaesa

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I suppose i'll convert the castle to a unit as it has no real use as a building and you're right about them not being able to tell the difference. And thanks for the trigger help aswell.

DaRRoXX

Reaction score
Can't add more to the answer to your question. Buildings aren't designed to be rotated, else we'd have trees not facing their owner etc. Accname has some tricks though, so I'd go use them...

As for the idea, a couple of things...
Firstly, if the king has no gold, how is he able to pay huge bounties for each kill?

Also, city attacks would have to be balanced very carefully. After all, if, as you say, the soldiers are very weak compared to the player, then surely it'd be much more effective for the player to go back and defend himself. Which makes soldiers worthless, and just adds the typical irritation of having to go back mid-dungeon and defend your town from assumedly pretty weak creeps (if the soldiers can usually handle them). This will end up being a chore rather than a feature. The best way, in my opinion, to deal with this would be to make the city defense automatic (ie, if you have enough soldiers, the city defends itself, simple as that)...

Otherwise, sounds pretty fun, but a lot of work to make. Especially since after a few of these "Sieges", the game would get pretty stale pretty fast without new ideas... Just sayin'.

Most of all, have fun :D. I find that my campaigns get finished much, much better when I enjoy playing through them, and enjoy thinking up clever new ideas for mechanics to keep things fresh. :)

Rakaesa

Reaction score
Right, thanks for the advice. For the king having no gold thing, he's not the one paying you. He ships it back to the lands he originally came from, they ship him back gold, and he gives it to you considering YOU killed the thing, so you can do what you want with the gold (Keep it or give it to him). So I wouldn't worry about that. As for the town defence problem, the players will be told when a town attack is going to happen. And it'll only happen say, once every twenty minutes or so. So you have plenty of time between attacks to do a dungeon and then head back. But I see what you mean about balance. And then I also know what you mean about the game getting old after a while, but it's pretty much a beat once and then be done with it type of game unless you have a lot of fun playing it with friends. There's a main storyline as I mentioned, and once you beat that there's just any sidequests you missed to do, and creeps to kill. That's also what this thread is for, for people to give me any ideas they'd think would be good to put in this type of thing.

But yeah, thanks for the advice. +rep

Edit: Also, forgot to mention that this is sort of a prototype. If it's successful, I hope to make more maps of a campaign based off of this one's main storyline, but not the same kind of game (City upgrading, etc will probably be removed). I just want to see if this kind of thing would work as a map first.

CrazedPyscho

Reaction score
Sounds like a very interesting RPG. I mean usually you have to select your characters speciality and all that, but in this one you have to start from scratch and build your own city, defend it, train your men and build your shops with items and explore the map fighting creatures with what you make. :D Sounds fun and original, i wouldn't mind playin this kind of RPG with a bunch of friends. Good luck on yor project!

Rakaesa

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinion, CrazedPyscho. Anybody else have any ideas, suggestions or opinions?

TomTTT

Reaction score
Just like CrazedPsycho. Sounds REALLY nice. About opinions - maybe you should add some shops that the king build after a while or after you build a certain amount of buildings. You can also make some sorta Reputation system for shop discounts and less gold needed to build buildings.

Rakaesa

Reaction score
The shops yeah i'll do, but the reputation system may be a problem..I'll see what I can do, thanks for the opinion.

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
Sounds like an incredible idea, I'd definitely play this (when it's finished ofc:D)

As for a single player campaign... I haven't played the War3 campaigns in...
well, since I got the game... so, id suggest starting off single player, so you can
figure out most of the game mechanics, BUT I would definitely change it to
multilayer because that where the most fun comes from games:thup:

That's my two cents worth anyways;)

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
You said the king had no gold... And someone mentioned the king had no gold and thus unable to give the reward for the monster killed, and you said the king ship it back to his origins and they ship the money back. Now, I just don't get why the people from his origins wouldn't send money to their... king? And that you have to earn it?

Otherwise, really nice idea. Hope you'll manage to complete, definitely will try it out. :thup:

Rakaesa

Reaction score
*Facepalm* The king in these lands isn't the king of the other lands, skyblade333. He came here to found his own city. He wouldn't receive funds from his lands of origin if this was his idea alone, and he has nothing to do with the government. Thanks for the recent opinions everyone.

Squeekems

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I forgot how I did it, but I rotated a building once.... I think, in the editor, I just set it as a unit, rotated it, and then set it as a building. That probably f**ks with something though, lol.

Rakaesa

Reaction score
Lmao, that would work except if I want to angle it differently for different places. Then I'd have to create different copies of it, but it could work.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.