Neat Trick: Tree Wall Pathing

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Ever have a nice hand made map with a large amount of trees. Ever notice that players and fleeing units can wander through these forest with little to no effort.

If you turn off Veiw>Doodads, and then Turn on Veiw>PathingGround you will see why this happens.

Now instead of adding a tree in ever tiny hole and losing hair, sanity and your life do this.

Enter into the Object Editor. Destructibles. Go to your tree wall. Go down to Pathing - Pathing Texture. Now change that to another texture that is much larger.

Some good ones to use.

My Favorite one - Fruit Stand. It gives you a somewhat round pathing texture, perfect for most trees. About 2x the size of summer tree wall texture.
Thralls Hut, great for when you really dont care how big the tree gets, somewhat round, and its about 2.5x the size of the original Summer Tree Wall texture.
Granary - Just like Fruit Stand, but its not round. 2x size.

Hope this helps someone. Today I was working on fixing holes in pathing on my map and this occured to me. Seemed a simple fix for a very annoying problem.

**Edit: One more thing to mention. Make sure you change the pathing after you have placed all the trees. If you try to place them afterward their new fatness will not allow you to put them close together. but if you do it afterwards the trees wont move on you, but pathing will have changed. Its also I found out a great way to make fences actually touch together. You change pathing to something small, move the fence close. Change pathing again, and bam, the fence is now forced into touching.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Good job, It sounds like it could go into the tutorial place, But its not really a tutorial as much as an exellent tip. +rep.

Edit: Cant give it to you, i need to give more people rep first. ;) Then Ill give it to you if i remember. sorry

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Did you knew that holding shift while placing doodads makes their pathing smaller? :p After you placed it, the pathing becomes normal. So you can make fences actually touch toghether. Also, you can make the perfect tree wall, but you'll have a lot of trees xD. For more useful tips, check this out. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.